Stone Glacier M7 Pant and Jacket Review, By Jake Potter

TXCO

WKR
What would you use the M7 instead of the m5 for? Does the lack of a full side zipper mean you cant take it off without taking your boots off?

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
The M7 has a fleece backer in both pant and bottom, it’s designed for later season hunts while the M5 is your more traditional rain shell designed for the backpack hunter. The side zip not going all the way down does mean you can’t take it off/on without taking your boots off. But that’s not an issue when you are going to wear the M7 pant it’s going to be cold and nasty so you’re going to put it on first thing and wear it all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
@Jpott3 how's the noise compare to the M5 in field use? I thought their classification of a softshell was interesting because it feels more like a hardshell than a softshell.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
It’s definitely softer than the M5 and not as crinkly for lack of a better word

aron

WKR
Any idea how the M7 pants compare in warmth to Sitka timberline or Kuiu axis hybrid?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Any idea how the M7 pants compare in warmth to Sitka timberline or Kuiu axis hybrid?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The M7 will be much warmer than the timberlines but kind of an apples to oranges comparison

REB

FNG
Jake do you think the M7 would be too warm for early western Washington archery elk when its pouring buckets?

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Jake do you think the M7 would be too warm for early western Washington archery elk when its pouring buckets?

Yeah you’d be hot. I used the M5 this year for early archery and it worked flawlessly. Modern deer and modern elk is when the M7 is really gonna shine for me!

REB

FNG
Thanks for the reply, I hunt the late archery mule deer hunt and was trying to figure out versatility options. Was set on the M5 with other layers until the M7 came out. Think I will stick to my original plan.

xturns06x

FNG
So if it is waterproof and windproof what advantage do you have in the M7. I understand that it is a designated late season pant and jacket but seems that the M5 would fit the bill in those situations just add insulation underneath. I could see that it would help reduce a layer for the late season but is that worth the additional $$? Thoughts anyone?

So if it is waterproof and windproof what advantage do you have in the M7. I understand that it is a designated late season pant and jacket but seems that the M5 would fit the bill in those situations just add insulation underneath. I could see that it would help reduce a layer for the late season but is that worth the additional $$? Thoughts anyone?
would love to get feedback on this question

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
would love to get feedback on this question

Exactly it reduces over all pack weight by deleting a mid layer, I think that’s personal preference based on where and what temps you hunt in as to if it’s worth it or not. In the PNW for me specifically I believe it’s worth it not to have the bulk of an added mid layer I would have to pair with the M5.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Could you compare the M7 jacket to the sitka jet stream. I love the idea of not having to pack a rain jacket since this is waterproof but the extra layer with a rain jacket helps to stay a little more warm. Do you think the jetstream is less warm than the M7?

slick

WKR
Jake,

Did you write the review before you had a chance to test the clothing in late season conditions (cold, wet, snowy, windy) your pictures appear to not be in those conditions? Or were those just field photos from the spring after the 2020 season?

Any update to the article now that we’ve entered December?

Edit to add: has anyone used this stuff on late season goat hunts? I feel like that’s the ultimate test. I’ve heard a handful of negative reviews on the M5s waterproof rating so curious what this may or may not be capable of

Last edited:

slick

WKR
Bump.

Can anyone chime in on the M7 set?
When and where you used them, temperatures, precipitation, layering, etc?

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Bump.

Can anyone chime in on the M7 set?
When and where you used them, temperatures, precipitation, layering, etc?

Hey slick yeah I wrote the article in the spring but also wore the M7 set exclusively on my late October mule deer hunt in Idaho with snow and low temps. They preformed great I have no complaints!