Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

lelliott8

FNG
Has anyone put a mountain tactical bottom metal in their stockys? Mine is too tight to go in easily and seems like there's a gap at the front

amassi

WKR
I did contact High Desert. He had no idea what I was talking about and insisted there was something seriously wrong with my gun. He suggested I immediately take my gun to a gunsmith and get it checked out. He said there is no way new bottom metal could cause this even after I explain how flawlessly the rifle ran before. Thank god for these forums so people can get the real answers.

That’s standard practice from any small business when you start talking about firearms malfunctions.
Deny-distance-destroy credibility.
That being said, there’s a reason most innocuous parts say on the package to have a gunsmith install. Litigation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Just got mine in today but having some issues. I’m not getting any free float on the right side. I used the mountain tactical recoil lug that came with the stock. I’m not sure if the issue is just me or the stock. Any tips? I’ve got a call in to stockys and waiting on a call back. Thx

08F288E3-D3B7-41D2-AB12-73D647C6B909.jpeg461BBECB-6737-4ECA-AAD5-73262E51B701.jpeg

Gila

WKR
on my stock the barrel is perfectly centered in the channel. Is you action all the way down and centered on the recoil lug?

eamyrick

WKR
Just got mine in today but having some issues. I’m not getting any free float on the right side. I used the mountain tactical recoil lug that came with the stock. I’m not sure if the issue is just me or the stock. Any tips? I’ve got a call in to stockys and waiting on a call back. Thx

View attachment 628592View attachment 628593
This is 100% how mine turned out. I’m assuming bedding will resolve the issue. It is not drop in but feels quality, shoulders great, and has minimal forend flex. Now do I send it to UM or Kampfield for bedding?

ThatDUDE

WKR

View attachment 628592View attachment 628593
I am really wanting a VG stock for my Howa mini. I have read a few times about fitment issues with Stocky Stocks. I am a little leery to pull the trigger because I don’t want to have to work on the stock to make it fit. Does anyone know if @Stockys will let you exchange a stock if there are fitment issues?

eamyrick

WKR
I am really wanting a VG stock for my Howa mini. I have read a few times about fitment issues with Stocky Stocks. I am a little leery to pull the trigger because I don’t want to have to work on the stock to make it fit. Does anyone know if @Stockys will let you exchange a stock if there are fitment issues?
Stocky’s has already messaged me. I just figured it needed to be bedded. Customer service is awesome so far. I have had most every other stock and factory drop in is a tough standard to achieve.

Yeh I checked also. It’s in the lug. Issue I see is there is a bit of rock between the front a rear. Mine would need some bedding under the back tang.

If it is rocking, it is most likely not fully seated on the lug. I had that issue with my latest one. The way I "fixed" it was to dab a tiny bit of blue loctite on the lug and seat it against the action (action upside down). Waited a half hour for the loctite to set up and then dropped the whole thing into the stock. It is much easier to line up the lug with the slot in the stock than lining up the shallow slot in the action with the lug.

When I did that the "rocking" went away and I could see how it all fit together so putting it back on was easier from there.

eamyrick

WKR
If it is rocking, it is most likely not fully seated on the lug. I had that issue with my latest one. The way I "fixed" it was to dab a tiny bit of blue loctite on the lug and seat it against the action (action upside down). Waited a half hour for the loctite to set up and then dropped the whole thing into the stock. It is much easier to line up the lug with the slot in the stock than lining up the shallow slot in the action with the lug.

When I did that the "rocking" went away and I could see how it all fit together so putting it back on was easier from there.
Thanks for the tip. I’m trying it now.

IMG_6470.jpeg

This is 100% how mine turned out. I’m assuming bedding will resolve the issue. It is not drop in but feels quality, shoulders great, and has minimal forend flex. Now do I send it to UM or Kampfield for bedding?
Bed it yourself. There are plenty of YouTube videos to learn from. I think everyone who likes to tinker with rifles should become familiar with bedding. It’s easy to do once you learn. Same with inletting a barrel channel. if you can change your own oil or flat tire you can open up a barrel channel.

eamyrick

WKR
No dice with the loctite method. When the barrel is seated in the channel evenly there is room under the rear tang. When the screws are tightened down the barrel touches the right side of the channel. I’ll either exchange at stocky or just be happy with the factory stock. The weight savings was 5.5oz. I never had any issues with the factory stock.

IMG_6471.jpegIMG_6472.jpeg

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
No dice with the loctite method. When the barrel is seated in the channel evenly there is room under the rear tang. When the screws are tightened down the barrel touches the right side of the channel. I’ll either exchange at stocky or just be happy with the factory stock. The weight savings was 5.5oz. I never had any issues with the factory stock.

View attachment 628812View attachment 628813

5 minutes with a piece of sand paper and your problem is solved.

This is common with all stocks from all makers. It’s why tight barrel channels that look “good” are poor choices.

Gila

WKR
I would keep the loctite away from the action and recoil lug. The first step is the recoil lug needs to be placed in the pocket in the stock correctly. The pocket on my stock was a little tight which it should be. I had to use a slight amount of thumb pressure to get the lug pushed down completely into the pocket. There cannot be any debris at all in the Accublock or around the recoil lug. There could be an issue with the accublock but that is unlikely. All of the pictures that I have seen point to a probable recoil lug misalignment.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
5 minutes with a piece of sand paper and your problem is solved.

This is common with all stocks from all makers. It’s why tight barrel channels that look “good” are poor choices.
If mine gets replaced I think ill see if I can get a Proof channel over the veil to give some more wiggle room

1700335194988.jpegYou can get something like this at most Hw stores. Lay masking tape on the stock where removal is needed. Scribe a line off the barrel onto the tape. Chuck the sanding drum in a cordless drill and remove material up to your line. Re-install barreled action and check fit. Continue removing until you are happy with free float.