Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

fwafwow

WKR
I recently got my first Tikka T3X. I’ve had the barrel shortened. While I anxiously await the Stocky’s RokStock, should I just stand pat, or tinker (remove material from the factory stock, look at bottom metal)?

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got my first Tikka T3X. I’ve had the barrel shortened. While I anxiously await the Stocky’s RokStock, should I just stand pat, or tinker (remove material from the factory stock, look at bottom metal)?
I think most would agree the factory stock greatly benefits from sanding the barrel channel using a large socket and ~200 grit sandpaper as well as adding the vertical grip. Depending on your anatomy and scope, you may also benefit from a raised cheek piece of some kind. Can also consider removing sling studs to improve positional shooting ergonomics and reducing the poundage of the trigger, if desired. Oh and don’t forget to make it your own with some spray paint!

ElPollo

WKR
If you’re waiting on the new stock, just shoot it. The factory bottom ‘metal’ and magazine work just fine. What caliber did you get?

fwafwow

WKR
If you’re waiting on the new stock, just shoot it. The factory bottom ‘metal’ and magazine work just fine. What caliber did you get?
223. I’ve shot it, and am inclined to open the barrel channel but not otherwise do much until the RokStock is available. Unless the wait and my impatience win.

ElPollo

WKR
223. I’ve shot it, and am inclined to open the barrel channel but not otherwise do much until the RokStock is available. Unless the wait and my impatience win.
I’d suggest holding off tweaking the stock so it’s easier to sell when you replace it. I have not seen huge differences in accuracy from free floating. I’ve got two modded Tikka stocks sitting around now and don’t know what to do with them. They work fine, but the RokStock will be a significant improvement.

I think most would agree the factory stock greatly benefits from sanding the barrel channel using a large socket and ~200 grit sandpaper as well as adding the vertical grip. Depending on your anatomy and scope, you may also benefit from a raised cheek piece of some kind. Can also consider removing sling studs to improve positional shooting ergonomics and reducing the poundage of the trigger, if desired. Oh and don’t forget to make it your own with some spray paint!
I dremmeled the heck out of mine. Took down the "ribs" in the center and then worked both sides and lastly the arch under the barrel. I can get 3 staked index cards under it to the action now. This rifle is a tool, not a show piece. ;)

*EDIT*: Agree with ElPollo that if you plan to try to sell the stock you should leave it OEM. Mine's LH anyways, and I didn't care about reselling it. I agree on the vertical grip too. Much better trigger pull compared to the traditional pistol grip.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Mine shot like crap without doing some work to the factory stock. I can’t stand a vertical grip, so I won’t be adding that to mine. I lighten the trigger on mine just like I do every other rifle that I have. The finish on these Tikkas seem to be terrible. They seem to tarnish the easiest of any rifle I’ve ever owned.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Veil barrel makes for a heavy rifle no matter how much work the stock does.

For now, this is my optics testing setup for the f1 SHV.

Held up well to a 12 mile wyoming bushwhack this morning. Sling didn’t wear away paint, but rubbing contact with plastic tri glides on backpack and bino harness has revealed some of the very pretty CF underneath. Personally did not find the Buttstock hollow sounding, and did not mind stalking/still hunting with the VG.

-J

Attachments

• 89159C6D-AEF2-4785-8F8F-A68515C47AEB.jpeg
    89159C6D-AEF2-4785-8F8F-A68515C47AEB.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 190

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Veil barrel makes for a heavy rifle no matter how much work the stock does.

For now, this is my optics testing setup for the f1 SHV.

Held up well to a 12 mile wyoming bushwhack this morning. Sling didn’t wear away paint, but rubbing contact with plastic tri glides on backpack and bino harness has revealed some of the very pretty CF underneath. Personally did not find the Buttstock hollow sounding, and did not mind stalking/still hunting with the VG.

-J

That’s 7 rounds. I’m thinking she doesn’t need bedding.
0D152BFC-6F9D-4D1C-8EED-359F5BA1B5A3.jpeg
Trigger reach is annoying enough that it’s definitely keeping me from getting enough back pressure into the shoulder to spot shots.
8BEBD490-30C1-4B6A-A4AC-A7E09B96A53C.jpeg
Recoil pad is more than adequate for 6.5cm, even for my wife. I was mistaken in advocating for a plusher one.

-J

N2TRKYS

WKR
View attachment 608728
Trigger reach is annoying enough that it’s definitely keeping me from getting enough back pressure into the shoulder to spot shots.
View attachment 608729
Recoil pad is more than adequate for 6.5cm, even for my wife. I was mistaken in advocating for a plusher one.

-J
I’m jealous. It’ll be about 3 months before we need to wear a coat around here. ☹️

ElPollo

WKR
View attachment 608728
View attachment 608729

-J
Mine didn’t need bedding either. It put 10 rounds of factory Red Mountain Arsenal ammo into 0.8” last weekend. I agree on the trigger reach. Still considering the light-weight epoxy stuff to build it up. I guess I need to ding it up a bit before I’m ready for that.

Reactions: NSI

id_jon

WKR
So far in dry fire, the trigger reach hasn't bothered me, though it is noticeable. I figure I'll get some rounds through it before making my decision, but I plan to glue some rigid insulation foam and then probably secure it with athletic tape to take up that space.

letrbuck

WKR
View attachment 608728
View attachment 608729

-J

I recognize that range...

Nice build!

Reactions: NSI