Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

Antares

WKR
It’s fully a half pound heavier than a lite barrel, let alone a fluted lite barrel (superlite). And if you keep the factory muzzle threads it’s a long boi too.

-J

Agree on the length. I never understood that. They go out of their way to thread it and at the same time make it 24.3” long. WTF am I supposed to do with that? My Roughtech damn near comes up to my titties with a can on it… and I’m 6’2”.

It’s fully a half pound heavier than a lite barrel, let alone a fluted lite barrel (superlite). And if you keep the factory muzzle threads it’s a long boi too.

-J

Got it, thanks! Never understood the D18 contour.

Agree on the length. I never understood that. They go out of their way to thread it and at the same time make it 24.3” long. WTF am I supposed to do with that? My Roughtech damn near comes up to my titties with a can on it… and I’m 6’2”.
One day tikka will make a d18 fluted and threaded at 18 inches. And rokslide will rejoice

Dobermann

WKR
I started painting my VG Hunter today. I taped it off and lightly sanded the grip and fore end and then added three coats of spray on Herculiner bed liner for texture. Next part will be a light sanding of the rest of the stock with 600 grit wet-dry paper, an alcohol wipe down, and then using a natural sponge to add a bit of tan and green camo over the carbon fiber. Then I’ll hit it with a clear coat over the top to seal it. I’ll post more pics as I get more done.
Started mine. This is a Hi-Tec Composites stock from NZ, which are similar to Stocky's.

Couldn't get textured spraypaint locally, but found a 'granite effect' option. I was skeptical about how well it would do, and while some of the prominent bits flaked off, most remained, and provide a texture similar to a wide-pattern skateboard tape.

Went with Rustoleum truck bed liner for the grip and forend; I lightly sanded back the granite paint underneath first, in case it didn't bond to the small flecks underneath well.

Partway through painting up, with the baselayer completed and a camo pattern over the next couple of days.

Key lessons:

If I was doing it again, I wouldn't keep the same masking tape line for the truck bed paint - three layers have formed too high of a shoulder, and this is a potential peel point. I think I'd either mask up the first coat, and then re-mask it further out for the susbsequent coats of the truck bed liner, so that it's graduated, or just not mark it up at all, painting it roughly where it needs to be, and figure it will be covered by the top paint anyway.

Top-coating the granite effect paint worked will for 'securing' the prominent parts of this paint. Rather than flaking away, and taking the top coat with them, it seems to have worked the other way around, with the top coat sticking the prominent 'granite' parts down better.

On the flipside, the topcoat has so far smoothed out the texturing of the truck bed liner - so, ironically, there's more grip on the main part of the stock that just as the granite effect paint underneath, and the grip and forend have ended up not being as textured. I'm not too worried, as this was an experiment anyway, and I'm sure will still work fine in the field. Also, my experience is that clear-coating adds its own kind of texture, which is very non-slip (at least, the brand that I've used).

'Naked' stock first, then granite effect and truck bed combo before painting up.

Tikka-T3X-223-in-Hi-Tech-Composites-stock---bare.gifTikka-T3X-in-Hi-Tec-stock-with-Duramax-and-Rustoleum-truck-bed-liner.gifTikka-T3X-in-Hi-Tec-stock-with-Duramax-and-Rustoleum-truck-bed-liner-forend.gifTikka-T3X-in-Hi-Tec-stock-with-Duramax-and-Rustoleum-truck-bed-liner-grip.gif

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Started mine. This is a Hi-Tec Composites stock from NZ, which are similar to Stocky's.

Couldn't get textured spraypaint locally, but found a 'granite effect' option. I was skeptical about how well it would do, and while some of the prominent bits flaked off, most remained, and provide a texture similar to a wide-pattern skateboard tape.

Went with Rustoleum truck bed liner for the grip and forend; I lightly sanded back the granite paint underneath first, in case it didn't bond to the small flecks underneath well.

Partway through painting up, with the baselayer completed and a camo pattern over the next couple of days.

Key lessons:

If I was doing it again, I wouldn't keep the same masking tape line for the truck bed paint - three layers have formed too high of a shoulder, and this is a potential peel point. I think I'd either mask up the first coat, and then re-mask it further out for the susbsequent coats of the truck bed liner, so that it's graduated, or just not mark it up at all, painting it roughly where it needs to be, and figure it will be covered by the top paint anyway.

Top-coating the granite effect paint worked will for 'securing' the prominent parts of this paint. Rather than flaking away, and taking the top coat with them, it seems to have worked the other way around, with the top coat sticking the prominent 'granite' parts down better.

On the flipside, the topcoat has so far smoothed out the texturing of the truck bed liner - so, ironically, there's more grip on the main part of the stock that just as the granite effect paint underneath, and the grip and forend have ended up not being as textured. I'm not too worried, as this was an experiment anyway, and I'm sure will still work fine in the field. Also, my experience is that clear-coating adds its own kind of texture, which is very non-slip (at least, the brand that I've used).

'Naked' stock first, then granite effect and truck bed combo before painting up.

View attachment 610129View attachment 610130View attachment 610131View attachment 610132

Thats fantastic looking. Good job sir.

ElPollo

WKR

Key lessons:

View attachment 610129View attachment 610130View attachment 610131View attachment 610132
That looks good and shoots REALLY good. The camo paint over the top of your bed liner will probably reduce the shoulder issue. I painted mine right over the bed liner and it’s not peeling thus far. I used a natural sponge to apply two colors of the rustoleum camo paint and then added three coats of matte clear coat to seal.

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpeg
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 146

lak2004

WKR
That looks good and shoots REALLY good. The camo paint over the top of your bed liner will probably reduce the shoulder issue. I painted mine right over the bed liner and it’s not peeling thus far. I used a natural sponge to apply two colors of the rustoleum camo paint and then added three coats of matte clear coat to seal.
Is that the ab raptor 8 with a reflex?

ElPollo

WKR
Good to hear, I have one coming. Any advice on swapping out the reflex, or just roll with the bull barrel version that comes with it?
So I have no experience with the bull barrel version. I would expect that the bull barrel version would have less effect on recoil and sound than the sporter version because it has less internal volume. I can tell you that my sporter version makes a significant difference over using the can without the reflex. I got this can largely because of the modularity of swapping the reflex for various end caps, but now I use it in that configuration all the time.

I think the only downside to this can is that one of my shooting buddies says I have a large, black sex toy attached to my gun. I am comfortable enough with my own manhood to be okay with that. He says I should paint veins on it. I’m considering that.

Jimbee

WKR
So I have no experience with the bull barrel version. I would expect that the bull barrel version would have less effect on recoil and sound than the sporter version because it has less internal volume. I can tell you that my sporter version makes a significant difference over using the can without the reflex. I got this can largely because of the modularity of swapping the reflex for various end caps, but now I use it in that configuration all the time.

I think the only downside to this can is that one of my shooting buddies says I have a large, black sex toy attached to my gun. I am comfortable enough with my own manhood to be okay with that. He says I should paint veins on it. I’m considering that.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing how the veins turn out!