Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

Finally got around to mounting my stock today. Everything fit great and dropped right in I couldn’t be happier with the fit. Unfortunately when torqued to 55 in/lbs my rear action screw pulled through the factory bottom metal. Is the mountain tactical the best replacement bottom metal? Should I try and find another factory and hope it doesn’t happen again? Anybody have any other solutions?

I have one factory bottom metal that seems to be doing fine at 60 and another that the front screw pulled through. Hence my wtb ad… Seems to be hit or miss.

Is there anywhere to buy a factory other than a wtb or eBay? The lumley is a hundred bucks and that’s the cheapest replacement I could find.

amassi

WKR
Is there anywhere to buy a factory other than a wtb or eBay? The lumley is a hundred bucks and that’s the cheapest replacement I could find.

If you get another factory if you have enough thread engagement you can always try a washer to resist pulling through. High desert makes a nice aluminum upgrade the Lumleys are hit and miss in terms of consistency. Some fit loosely, some snug, some would require stock or bottom metal alterations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Tikka Bottom Plastic:
It seems that a fair percentage experience screws pulling through at torque values in excess of the factory 45 in-lbs.

The washer solution sacrifices thread engagement with unknown consequences.

My personal strategy is that if a Tikka is shooting well at 45 in-lbs I leave the factory bottom plastic alone. Most of them do.

If a gun wants more torque to shoot well, I swap to an aluminum bottom metal. Deforming the plastic isn't an aesthetic problem, it's a predictability problem. If both ends of a torqued system aren't relatively robust, the torque value becomes a poor indicator of durable tension. When I do switch from plastic (rare), I like the High Desert Linear and the Lumley Arctic for their extra index finger room. I am currently testing the Atlasworx AICS DBM and will report back when I have some more time on it.

-J

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
How so? The washers fit inside the void between the stock and the spring metal that's molded into the plastic. Not in-between the stock and the plastic.
I was imagining washers at least partially external to the bottom plastic, large enough to spread the crush force across a greater surface area of bottom plastic. Sounds like you're getting good results with washes only slightly larger than screw hole size?

-J

sdupontjr

WKR
I had a similar situation when I took my CTR out of the CTR stock and placed it in another stock. I ended up installing my own SS homemade pillars. But I entended the pillars out the bottom of the stock thus fitting inside the OEM Tikka bottom metal. Now the washer that is made into the bottom sits firmly on the pillar. All is well now. Could tighten to the moon with no issues, but i go to 50 in/lbs.

I had a similar situation when I took my CTR out of the CTR stock and placed it in another stock. I ended up installing my own SS homemade pillars. But I entended the pillars out the bottom of the stock thus fitting inside the OEM Tikka bottom metal. Now the washer that is made into the bottom sits firmly on the pillar. All is well now. Could tighten to the moon with no issues, but i go to 50 in/lbs.

that's exactly what i do on t3x lite stocks.

FYI: 2K clear auto rattle cans comes in flat, semi, satin and gloss. Put 2 Coates over you stock and it keeps solvent and oil from screwing up the paint. Flat and semi have some texture to help grip.

This is what I use on all my stock paint jobs. Much harder and more durable than basic clear coats, and looks better too. A bit pricey at $20-30 a can, but totally worth it.