Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

As previously mentioned, I modified my VG to shorten the trigger reach. Started with 4 layers of cork tape on the front of the grip, 1" wide and about 1/16" thick. Then started applying several layers of JB Weld, shaping and sanding between applications. I did maybe 3-4 batches of JB until I was happy with the shape. A couple coats of filler primer smoothed out any blemishes. Finished it off by applying some Harbor Freight spray-on truck bed liner using a sponge for texture, then a good ol' sponge camo paint job for the rest of the stock.

Trigger reach is now a very comfortable 1.75", and the grip shape feels better then ever.

Attachments

• PXL_20240109_024938315.jpg
    PXL_20240109_024938315.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 253
  • PXL_20240109_024843089.jpg
    PXL_20240109_024843089.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 247
  • PXL_20240109_024826432.jpg
    PXL_20240109_024826432.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 247
As previously mentioned, I modified my VG to shorten the trigger reach. Started with 4 layers of cork tape on the front of the grip, 1" wide and about 1/16" thick. Then started applying several layers of JB Weld, shaping and sanding between applications. I did maybe 3-4 batches of JB until I was happy with the shape. A couple coats of filler primer smoothed out any blemishes. Finished it off by applying some Harbor Freight spray-on truck bed liner using a sponge for texture, then a good ol' sponge camo paint job for the rest of the stock.

Trigger reach is now a very comfortable 1.75", and the grip shape feels better then ever.
Can you show exactly what you used for the JB weld and filler primer? You did a great job and it turned out great, and would love to try and mimic your awesomeness.

Can you show exactly what you used for the JB weld and filler primer? You did a great job and it turned out great, and would love to try and mimic your awesomeness.

Really just standard issue JB Weld and Harbor Freight's sandable primer. You could use quick-settin JB, but I found that the longer-curing stuff allowed me to shape the material better as it cured.

Another detail that I think helped a lot was taping off all the areas around the grip where didn't want material to go. This also allowed me to using my shaping tool (an old credit card) to get the material to flow evenly with the shape of the grip.

Well done! Looks great

Anyone here know what splash zone is? Seems like a good option for this type of project

We use it for boating applications and is an epoxy puddy (2 part) that will even cure under water and holds really well to most surfaces, and it would stick well to a carbon stock (holds really well on fiberglass)

It’s like ocean bondo

SDHNTR

WKR
Really just standard issue JB Weld and Harbor Freight's sandable primer. You could use quick-settin JB, but I found that the longer-curing stuff allowed me to shape the material better as it cured.

Another detail that I think helped a lot was taping off all the areas around the grip where didn't want material to go. This also allowed me to using my shaping tool (an old credit card) to get the material to flow evenly with the shape of the grip.
How much measurable material did you add? Or I guess another way of asking it is what was the trigger reach before? And is there any kind of meaningful weight increase?

Last edited:
How much measurable material did you add? Or I guess another way of asking it is what was the trigger reach before? And is there any kind of meaningful weight increase?

I never actually measured the trigger reach before, but I've seen others here have measured it to be about 2.25". So I added about 1/2" of material.

I haven't weighed the stock yet, but I'll try to do that tomorrow.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Excellent work. I am about to do the same. Except I have some fence post expanding foam and some other more dense expanding foam. I am going to tape off a section with cardboard to contain the expanding foam, and then rasp to shape.

A little carbon fiber and resin over the top with an epoxy texture if I want.

Also, I am going to add a stickler section so my middle finger has a vertical stop to create consistency. I drew a red line where it will basically go.

985D112C-E5C9-4ACF-A13A-9D19C5C17FA3.jpeg

robtattoo

WKR
What’s the splatter? Some form of texture?
Just grey primer sprayed onto the fingers of a latex glove & 'flicked' on. There's a layer of web over the top of that that adds a little, but the base coats are a fine stone texture all over & coarse for the holdy-onny bits.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
That grip modification looks so nice and I really wish mine was that was but I am a little afraid to mess with mine that much since I have been shooting it fine until you all pointed this out. I never even would have thought about the long reach. I gotta get out of here 😂

Harvey_NW

WKR
That grip modification looks so nice and I really wish mine was that was but I am a little afraid to mess with mine that much since I have been shooting it fine until you all pointed this out. I never even would have thought about the long reach. I gotta get out of here 😂
You act like we're a bad influence around here or something. I mean, isn't everybody shooting moose with 223's, dropping thousand dollar scopes from 3', and taking carbide cutters and sandpaper to brand new stocks and thousand dollar rifles before even shooting them?

Run.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody mounted QD sling cups in their stock? I’d like to add some in mine but I am concerned on how it may effect the integrity of the rear since it’s hollow or if it will be able to support the cups. I’m not concerned about the front based on how much drilling I have already done up there and it being solid.