Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

Elite

WKR
I'll get some pics up soon, but I just finished building up the grip on my VG2. I started with a couple layers of cork tape I had on hand, and then covered that up with several coats of JB Weld. Just a relatively thin layer at a time, shaping it as I went. Finished with some filler primer to smooth things out and then truck bed coating for texture. Turned out great! I haven't measured what the trigger reach is now, but I think I probably added around 1/2" of material overall.

Looking forward for the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered two of the VG stocks, one for a Rem LA build I got going and another Howa mini for a barreled action I got coming. Thanks guys, got the free shipping on the second one.
@Stockys, have plans for a Winchester Mdl 70 or Ruger American VG stock?

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Just ordered two of the VG stocks, one for a Rem LA build I got going and another Howa mini for a barreled action I got coming. Thanks guys, got the free shipping on the second one.
@Stockys, have plans for a Winchester Mdl 70 or Ruger American VG stock?
The win 70 VG will be out this month. Ruger American is on the list in development as well but will be a few months before it’s released.

Jimbee

WKR
The win 70 VG will be out this month. Ruger American is on the list in development as well but will be a few months before it’s released.
Has the Rokstok design influenced or changed any designs or features moving forward for other stocks?

KHNC

WKR
So who has a $3000.00 Tikka T3X Lite in .223 now? I have 856.00 in my super plane jane stock blued barrel that just arrived. THis is with tax , shipping and transfer fees. I will have additional 200.00 getting the barrel cut and threaded. I still think its dumb that most tikka's dont come with threaded barrels nowadays. So ill be at 1056.00 before I fire a shot. Dont think i will be tempted with a 650.00 stock to save 5 oz.

atmat

WKR
I have 856.00 in my super plane jane stock blued barrel that just arrived. THis is with tax , shipping and transfer fees.
No offense, but you overpaid. You can get a stainless shipped to your FFL for like $770 after shipping/taxes. Over the last month, you could get a $75 rebate on Tikkas, too. After FFL transfer fee ($25), you could've had a stainless for $725 all-in.

I will have additional 200.00 getting the barrel cut and threaded.
$200 is costly for a cut/thread. I pay $125 for a local guy who does incredible work.

I still think its dumb that most tikka's dont come with threaded barrels nowadays.
I agree with this. But if they did, people would complain about the length they come in or about the thread pitch. You can't satisfy all customers.

Dont think i will be tempted with a 650.00 stock to save 5 oz.
@Stockys routinely has sales that keep these stocks well below $650. Some guys paid $384 for them earlier in the year on a deal. Additionally, it's not just the weight savings that makes it a good stock. It's a better design that improves recoil management over the factory stock.

So ill be at 1056.00 before I fire a shot
I paid $775 for my stainless 223, sold my factory stock for $50 net, paid $125 to cut/thread, and bought a Stockys for $400. That's all in for $1250 before firing a shot.

KHNC

WKR
No offense, but you overpaid. You can get a stainless shipped to your FFL for like $770 after shipping/taxes. Over the last month, you could get a $75 rebate on Tikkas, too. After FFL transfer fee ($25), you could've had a stainless for $725 all-in.

$200 is costly for a cut/thread. I pay $125 for a local guy who does incredible work.

I agree with this. But if they did, people would complain about the length they come in or about the thread pitch. You can't satisfy all customers.

@Stockys routinely has sales that keep these stocks well below $650. Some guys paid $384 for them earlier in the year on a deal. Additionally, it's not just the weight savings that makes it a good stock. It's a better design that improves recoil management over the factory stock.

I paid $775 for my stainless 223, sold my factory stock for $50 net, paid $125 to cut/thread, and bought a Stockys for $400. That's all in for $1250 before firing a shot.
My guy is usually 150 for cut and thread, but he read online that he was going to have a ton of trouble getting the barrel off the action and needed more tooling for the tikka. So , he went up to 200.00 on the charge. Ill be the guinea pig I guess. He has only done remingtons in the past. Also, he wasnt comfortable doing a fluted barrel, so i had to buy a non-stainless, non-fluted barrel. Could only buy this from Sportsman's Warehouse as it was their exclusive to sell. Sucked that the stainless was cheaper. I guess i dont need a 16" threaded barrel, but i wanted one anyway. lol. I got the T3X Lite and not the Superlite in stainless.

how does one with cabbage hands build up a stock to reduce trigger reach?
As one with small hands and lots of youth shooters using my rifles... I build up all of my stock's grips. I think the only ones I havent were the KRG Bravo and the Havak Element stocks. If you want something semi-permanent but still reversible (if you change your mind later) Ive had success using a dense foam (like the 2 inch thick pink foam insulation board from home depot) to carve into the shape that fits my hand best, then I use a durable tape with a bit of stretch to it, like Gorrilla Tape, to tape it to the stock. It adds very little weight. Only downsides are, it can take the finish off of some stocks when you remove it, and of course you have "duct tape" on your fancy stock... but if you are like me and dont care too much about looks, it works great! It also works to build up the comb, or the butt of the stock to get your preferred length of pull.

atmat

WKR
My guy is usually 150 for cut and thread, but he read online that he was going to have a ton of trouble getting the barrel off the action and needed more tooling for the tikka. So , he went up to 200.00 on the charge.... Also, he wasnt comfortable doing a fluted barrel
I think you need a new gunsmith. You do not need to remove the barrel from the action. It also shouldn't require any more specialized tooling to cut/thread. And most guys have no issue cutting/threading fluted barrels.

wirehead

WKR
I think you need a new gunsmith. You do not need to remove the barrel from the action. It also shouldn't require any more specialized tooling to cut/thread. And most guys have no issue cutting/threading fluted barrels.
my g/s charged $175 for fluted barrel cut and thread, the cost of the brake, brake bead-blast to match finish, timing of brake, and smooth of transition from brake to barrel.

KHNC

WKR
I have not found a single g/s in Hendersonville NC/Greenville Sc area that would do what i need for barrel work. They mostly say they wont do it at all or they are backed up for 5-6 months. Its ridiculous really. And this guy says he has to remove the barrel to use his lathe for the work.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Ruger American is on the list in development as well but will be a few months before it’s released.
You guys aren't messing around with filling niches in the market I see! What magazine will these be using?

atmat

WKR
I have not found a single g/s in Hendersonville NC/Greenville Sc area that would do what i need for barrel work. They mostly say they wont do it at all or they are backed up for 5-6 months. Its ridiculous really. And this guy says he has to remove the barrel to use his lathe for the work.
Ship the barreled action to Class 3 Machining in Dallas. Costs $125 and 1-week turnaround.

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Examples? Trigger reach, palm swell?
We have shorter trigger reaches on most of our stocks. It’s because we used a howa mold to make the tikka fit. Our palm swell is one of the smallest but it’s not really the palm swell that would be different, it’s the grip style itself.