Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

woods89

WKR
That’s not a bad looking stock… tikka inlet?

All rifles purchased from here forward for me will be Tikka, so yes, although I'm currently shooting a custom off a Rem M7 action and a CZ 527.

Edit-In regards to the drawing I posted, I'd also be happy to give up the adjustable cheek piece and the forend pic rail for 1/2 # less weight and maybe $150 in cost. It's the stock shape that I'd be really interested in.

Last edited:

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
You have a very good stock, far better than most would think. However, the trigger reach’s are way too long. They are currently around 2.25”. Something between 1.5” and 1.75” would be much better for the vast majority of users. Also, taking the stock and making a true negative comb with a raised buttpad, would take this stock from good to excellent, and instantly make them the best designed Tikka stocks in the market.
Alright looks like we have some designing to do. Thanks for the suggestions, we’re always open to new designs and will definitely take this into the next stock project.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Alright looks like we have some designing to do. Thanks for the suggestions, we’re always open to new designs and will definitely take this into the next stock project.
And just so we are all on the same page….what also makes your stuff awesome is the price is reasonable and the lead time minimal. Really what stockys offers that others can’t compete with.

So don’t go screwing that up please and thank you :).

This is likely the place with the highest concentration of Tikka users. You've come to the right place, for sure.

Shorten the trigger reach, negative comb, and you have the makings of a great stock (not just for tikkas mind you).

With the prices you offer, and the quality of the stocks, you'd be the best option in the market.

I was considering dropping 1200 into an allterra stock with that tacky monte carlo cheekpiece. Glad I didn't. I will be holding out for this

atmat

WKR
I really think you guys would hit a home run if you followed FORMS advice on a stock design. I am sure Rokslide sales alone would make it well worth your time.
Agreed. If you make the stock @Formidilosus is describing and at @Stockys current price point, I’d totally replace the Stocky’s ones I already have with new ones.

Edit: I’ll also add that I think y’all are the only stock company here that’s engaging with us. That’s huge — we tend to reward the heck out of that with our wallets.

Last edited:

Posts #2 #4 and #7 are gold!

NSI

WKR
Piling on - a stock to FORM's specifications would go on every custom build I do, assuming price and lead time stay compelling and the weight doesn't balloon.

I want to commend Stocky's for diving in here, in a way most MFGs don't engage with us. Though I understand the expense of engineering and new molds, I think you'll find it quite rewarding to become the Tikka stock of record here.

The ergonomics are "free lunch" - they aren't patented and they are baked into the shape of the mold. They have a minuscule impact on weight and price once in production. The components of that free lunch are consistent across thousands of shooters -
1) shoulder pad at or slightly above the bore line (controls recoil straight-back, raises comb to where adjustable cheek pieces are truly unnecessary for the vast majority of shooters with good mechanics)
2) slightly negative comb (drop from shoulder pad to wrist so that in recoil the rifle drops slightly away from the cheek keeping the shooter's eye in the scope)
3) almost-parallel bottom of the stock (so that as the rifle recoils over a rear bag it doesn't change point of aim unduly from leverage)
4) parallel fore end (for the same reason as #3, as well as benefits to bipod and tripod users)
5) vertical grip (with a trigger reach which naturally allows the first joint of most index fingers to lie at rest against the trigger shoe while applying pressure back into the shoulder)

After the "free lunch" come the modern nice to haves, which we otherwise need to solve for with aftermarket solutions - this is room to create differentiation and margin for you.

6) ARCA, as you have implemented on the upcoming stock
7) Recessed pic for bipod, as implemented by Allterra, Gunwerks, and others
8) Flush cups on sides or bottoms (views vary, all would be best)
9) Weight around 30 oz
10) Adjustable LOP (with spacers)

The quality of your inlet, enabling tight fit of the recoil lug, action, and bottom metal without bedding, is key to the value proposition. If a $300 bedding job becomes mandatory for useable accuracy, the stock starts creeping out of the price and convenience niche you've started to carve out.

-J

Last edited:

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
And if we’re just throwing out requests, a textured grip and quieter rear end foam would be cool too.
So we’ve experimented with denser foam in the butt and that usually adds about 5 oz of weight to the stock. We’ve tried pour foam, high density expanding foam but everytime we mention it to someone they say oh never mind. We could try to add that as a custom option kind of like bell and Carlson and hs does with their recoil reducer.

Regarding texture… we’ve textured quite a few molds but it always comes out looking horrible in the raw carbon. We don’t like to see bubbles. However we still have a few texture ideas to try out. We’ve been doing the new cerakote sponge that adds quite a bit of texture to the stock. I also saw someone post on this thread with the rust oleum texture paint so we might try that too.

Tahoe1305

WKR
So we’ve experimented with denser foam in the butt and that usually adds about 5 oz of weight to the stock. We’ve tried pour foam, high density expanding foam but everytime we mention it to someone they say oh never mind. We could try to add that as a custom option kind of like bell and Carlson and hs does with their recoil reducer.

Regarding texture… we’ve textured quite a few molds but it always comes out looking horrible in the raw carbon. We don’t like to see bubbles. However we still have a few texture ideas to try out. We’ve been doing the new cerakote sponge that adds quite a bit of texture to the stock. I also saw someone post on this thread with the rust oleum texture paint so we might try that too.
I think there are other options out there that are solid in the 2lb range (base weight without fancy stuff). Your new stuff being closer to 1.5lbs is solid. I wouldn’t sacrifice that IMO.

woods89

WKR
Piling on - a stock to FORM's specifications would go on every custom build I do, assuming price and lead time stay compelling and the weight doesn't balloon.

I want to commend Stocky's for diving in here, in a way most MFGs don't engage with us. Though I understand the expense of engineering and new molds, I think you'll find it quite rewarding to become the Tikka stock of record here.

The ergonomics are "free lunch" - they aren't patented and they are baked into the shape of the mold. They have a minuscule impact on weight and price once in production. The components of that free lunch are consistent across thousands of shooters -
1) shoulder pad at or slightly above the bore line (controls recoil straight-back, raises comb to where adjustable cheek pieces are truly unnecessary for the vast majority of shooters with good mechanics)
2) slightly negative comb (drop from shoulder pad to wrist so that in recoil the rifle drops slightly away from the cheek keeping the shooter's eye in the scope)
3) almost-parallel bottom of the stock (so that as the rifle recoils over a rear bag it doesn't change point of aim unduly from leverage)
4) parallel fore end (for the same reason as #3, as well as benefits to bipod and tripod users)
5) vertical grip (with a trigger reach which naturally allows the first joint of most index fingers to lie at rest against the trigger shoe while applying pressure back into the shoulder)

After the "free lunch" come the modern nice to haves, which we otherwise need to solve for with aftermarket solutions - this is room to create differentiation and margin for you.

9) Weight around 30 oz

The quality of your inlet, enabling tight fit of the recoil lug, action, and bottom metal without bedding, is key to the value proposition. If a $300 bedding job becomes mandatory for useable accuracy, the stock starts creeping out of the price and convenience niche you've started to carve out.

-J

#1-5 are 90% of the issue. It's like scopes, proper function is almost all of the issue. Get #1-5 right, keep the price and availability reasonable, and there would be a lot of enthusiasm for this.

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

9) Weight around 30 oz

-J
We
@Stockys really appreciate your company’s willingness to explore the possibility of creating and manufacturing an @Formidilosus specific designed stock for a Tikka inlet. If you commit to this project and deliver a product designed and approved by @Formidilosus for Rokslide and offer a pre order, I’ll buy five.
Once we finish the couple of projects in progress. We’ll draw one up with the requested features, 3D print the stock and send it to @Formidilosus for review and approval.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
We

Once we finish the couple of projects in progress. We’ll draw one up with the requested features, 3D print the stock and send it to @Formidilosus for review and approval.
You’ll literally own the Tikka aftermarket stock market when you follow through with this.

Also, please offer a left handed version EARLY in this process. Need to look out for our special friends like @mtnwrunner