Steepness and Elk

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious on what everyone’s experience is with steepness and elk. I know benches are good areas for bedding, but in basins where everything looks steeeeep, will elk still bed and stay in that basin?

I find a lot of areas where there’s good cover, food, and water, but it seems like it’s missing any relatively flat terrain.

This is all from google earth scouting so take that for what it is.

The area is central Idaho.

In CO they can and will bed in very steep basins of broken grass/trees, they'll snuggle up on the uphill side of small clumps of trees out of the sun and use the little flat spot at the base of trees to sleep on/in. My experience is that this is more a midday pattern when they're not pressured

Pressure can completely change that behavior

JL

They will absolutely bed on steep hillsides. They will paw out a spot and make it flat to lay in.

Yeah, I think they can make it work, often there are small benches too that you wouldn't even know about. That said, elk in many cases will prefer less steep areas if unpressured.

I’m no expert, but have found beds and even wallows on super steep slopes that look uninhabitable up close.

Steep is good elk country, but IMO, I use the term 'E.L.F.' Elk Like Flat.

In my experiences in September, when the rut is going hard, and cows are getting bred, they like to be on flat ground when that 800lb bull mounts them.

Not saying that steep wont hold elk, but personally Ive found 'flat places' hold MORE elk in September

Elk don't know what steep means, especially Idaho elk. There are many places in central Idaho where flat nearly doesn't exist. Elk beds can be dug out of incredibly angled slopes. With any significant hunting pressure, these areas are super attractive to elk. Of course they would prefer more moderate terrain if conditions and lack of human presence allow, but they will head for the steep, thick stuff without thinking twice. This has been my observation through most of the central Idaho country I have hunted.

I had a feeling that was the case. Always nice to hear others experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find the steep dark and nasty and indeed find elk amazing how they find those little platforms to bed and chill that we had no idea about

I've seen elk climb some steep a** hills, almost wouldn't have believed it if I didnt see it, didn't seem to phase them at all. They seem kinda high off the ground, don't know how they do the nearly vertical hills.

If it's flat in central idaho it either has a house or a center pivot on it. Elk certainly can be in the steeps, but they don't prefer it unless pressured by humans or wolves.
Just curious on what everyone’s experience is with steepness and elk. I know benches are good areas for bedding, but in basins where everything looks steeeeep, will elk still bed and stay in that basin?

I find a lot of areas where there’s good cover, food, and water, but it seems like it’s missing any relatively flat terrain.

This is all from google earth scouting so take that for what it is.

The area is central Idaho.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back