Finding Elk vs Killing Elk

Marble

WKR
I think the OP lacks some aggression and some hunting experience. Which is just fine!

If I were in your shoes, I would be trying to call an animal in, rather than sit and wait. It easier for them to come to you.

It sounds like you suffer from some setups that are not planned out well. I see this with newer hunters or hunters who haven't called in a lot of any animals. Learning how to position yourself in an ambush is a learn skilled. To learn this, try hunting turkeys and predators. Pay attention to what happens when you know you called something in. Each time you fail to kill the animal you called in, you'll apply that lesson to the next set up.

Animals expect to the animal making the noise. If you set up in a way the animal can look from a distance or cover, you're doomed. A proper set up will only let that animal see when they are killable. This why there are a lot of caller/shooter situations. The shooter is way out in front of the caller so the animal has no idea to expect something where the shooter is.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me, I would make my move in the afternoon and be waiting for them to show up in a meadow after having watched them from afar the evening before. I personally would not go into their bedroom and take a chance on buggering them and have them run to the next county never to be seen again.

KHNC

WKR
Those marshy bog/meadows are exactly what I'm talking about!

Literally 2 days ago I hiked in to a spot just like that, milled around a bit and then ley out a mellow single note bugle. This was at 530pm-ish.

I immediately heard sticks breaking and sure enough a bull slides right into 30 yards. I honestly was super surprised - it happened so fast I hesitated too long and he bounced out of my life forever... I've seriously lost sleep over it the past few nights.
Elk are pricks!! They get away from me all the damn time. Takes too long to load arrow, range and draw. I have to do this if over 40 yards when i encounter. Calling seems to work less and less these days. Especially in Grizz areas.

If I know where they are bedded, I like to get o. The same plane on 1 side or the other depending on windage just far enough to keep tabs on them. If I think I can sneak in closer I will. But generally I wait them out because I know they will be getting up to do what elk do at some point between 3 and dark. Thats when I go to work whether it be calling raking etc or sneaking or both. I love killing elk in the late afternoon. Less flies and meat bees and a cooler pack out. I've learned the hard way, particularly in low density areas, if I get too close when they are bedded, they already know I'm there and when they blow out, the likelihood of hunting those elk again is slim to nun and I may not see another elk in those low density units. I try to catch them just outside their bedroom. The older I get, the less I like tightroping deadfall