Stalking shoes/booties

2rocky

WKR
Looking for the answer to my tender feet and stalking Mule deer.

I'd like to find a pair of packable booties to slip on for the last 50-100 yards of stalking through desert rimrock.

Wool Socks gather too many foxtails, burrs and grass seeds.
UA and the Muley freak stalking shoes are both out of stock.

anyone had luck with water shoes or something similar that would be quiet and still protect my soles form rock edges and jagged rocks?

I'm considering leather moccasins as a last resort.

bowuntr

WKR
For me, it's an extra pair of socks. The main reason is that it slows my final stalk way, way down. If I put something over my boot I tend to go too fast and it is louder. I've tries slip on sock moccasins and wasn't satisfied. Here's a link to something you might be looking for. Ed F

I’ve always used wool socks, but was thinking about using some neoprene diving socks this year as they’ll likely be more durable and not gather every single sticker out there. I’m also hoping they’ll keep my regular socks cleaner too. There’s some cheap ones on amazon I’ve been eyeing.

Interested to hear what others have to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have waterproof socks that I velcro cheap insoles into. Adhesive velcro from homedepot, I only use the hook side on bottoms. These go over the socks I wear. Keeps feet dry, warm, and offer a bit more padding while maintaining barefoot feel. They are also a backup in case my boots get soaked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
For me, it's an extra pair of socks. The main reason is that it slows my final stalk way, way down. If I put something over my boot I tend to go too fast and it is louder. I've tries slip on sock moccasins and wasn't satisfied. Here's a link to something you might be looking for. Ed F

I'd taken a look at those Ed and they were out of stock. I've got extra insoles might add to a pair of socks mentioned downthread...

nowen22

FNG
Lone Peak Leather Company's Stalkasins. Cactus proof, super comfortable, extremely quiet and handmade. I have been using them for the last 4 years and they are a game changer. They also are great for wearing around camp too.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Lone Peak Leather Company's Stalkasins. Cactus proof, super comfortable, extremely quiet and handmade. I have been using them for the last 4 years and they are a game changer. They also are great for wearing around camp too.

I have a pair of the Stalkasins and love them so far. Very quiet and still protect your feet very well.

I'd like to find a pair of packable booties to slip on for the last 50-100 yards of stalking through desert rimrock.

anyone had luck with water shoes or something similar that would be quiet and still protect my soles form rock edges and jagged rocks?

Old pair of neoprene stockings waders. Cut the feet off put over socks .

PriceTA13

FNG
I have been considering trying the outdoor socks from Skinner footwear. Has anyone used them?

pingpong7

FNG
I own a pair of Lone Peak's stalkasins, absolutely high quality and a great option, very quiet. However, these things are slicker than snot stalking in the snow on a slope.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider

I'd be less inclined to get any Muley freak products. They wound more animals than they poach.

The stalkasins are on my list, I've used bigger wool socks previously, but the sand spurs find their ways in still which is a pain to deal with during and after. I have looked at the vibram too shoes as well and considered trying that.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about trying these:

PriceTA13

FNG
I was thinking about trying these:

One thing I question on those, (which might be there same for all of it) is that they state flat out they're not puncture resistant.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I use these Merrell Vapor Glove 3 as my camp shoes, they are super light weight, flexible and have just enough of a sole to protect your feet. You can find them on Amazon in all black usually. I replaced the laces with some cheap elastic ones so they’re in slip on mode now.