Stalking shoes/booties

Anyone try puncture resistant SCUBA socks like the item below?

no you want the one with the felt sole much quieter like these

theyre very popular in hawaii as they have double use shore fishing. guysuse tabis for gettiung close to axis deer they are too hot for me though but they work. would be heavy to pack in. i use the sneek tec booties they look goofy but are quiet

I use these Merrell Vapor Glove 3 as my camp shoes, they are super light weight, flexible and have just enough of a sole to protect your feet. You can find them on Amazon in all black usually. I replaced the laces with some cheap elastic ones so they’re in slip on mode now.

I used vapor gloves last year as well. I went with the leather version and put some nikwax on them to make them somewhat water-repellent. Once we were to elevation, my boots stayed in camp and I wore the Merrells for most of the trip.

I used vapor gloves last year as well. I went with the leather version and put some nikwax on them to make them somewhat water-repellent. Once we were to elevation, my boots stayed in camp and I wore the Merrells for most of the trip.
Nice, I didn't know they made leather ones. I'll keep my eyes open for some of those.

I’ve been looking at sand socks...anyone try those? They seem like an affordable option

Anyone have any thoughts about mountain and cold weather solutions? I’m hoping to try archery hunting this fall (Sep-Nov) in the Canadian Rockies and a mix of sharp rock, thin grass, and snow on steep terrain is a high probability. I’ll be in the backcountry so weight is important, but doubling as camp shoe is double win.

I’m afraid socks will get torn to pieces, slide, and get cold/wet.

The stalkassins sound like I’ll slide down the mountain.

The rimrok’s sound like a better match, but haven’t heard much about them.

Would love feedback on making a selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought about it before this, but I use a pair of scuba diving booties for fishing off the rocks on the coast. I bought them used at the local dive shop that sells their old rental gear. They’re medium thick neoprene that go above the ankle with a thin rubber sole that has a little traction and zip up the side. I use them to keep from cutting my feet up on the rocks and barnacles, and to keep from slipping off the wet rocks but they’d probably be pretty good for this use too.

I never thought about it before this, but I use a pair of scuba diving booties for fishing off the rocks on the coast. I bought them used at the local dive shop that sells their old rental gear. They’re medium thick neoprene that go above the ankle with a thin rubber sole that has a little traction and zip up the side. I use them to keep from cutting my feet up on the rocks and barnacles, and to keep from slipping off the wet rocks but they’d probably be pretty good for this use too.

Seems like this is becoming a winner. When I first heard the scuba booty idea I wasn’t sold, but that makes sense.

Do you have much feel though? I guess you could get a very slim set. Wouldn’t do great on actual snow but could be the right bridge.

Probably not the best camp shoe but would make really good water crossing boots if you didn’t want to wear your hikers/gaiters.

Seems like this is becoming a winner. When I first heard the scuba booty idea I wasn’t sold, but that makes sense.

Do you have much feel though? I guess you could get a very slim set. Wouldn’t do great on actual snow but could be the right bridge.

Probably not the best camp shoe but would make really good water crossing boots if you didn’t want to wear your hikers/gaiters.

They’re very flexible, so basically like thick moccasins. I don’t think feel would be an issue at all. I don’t know what the actual thickness is, but they’re probably in the middle range, if the rocks are particularly sharp I definitely walk lighter, I don’t think I’d go too light. They’re neoprene wetsuit material with a thin rubber sole glued to them with a little traction. They’re made to be worn bare foot so consider that in sizing if your planning on wearing socks. I would imagine they’d be fine in snow since they’re made to keep your feet warm in cold water but the traction wouldn’t be as great. Definitely great for creek crossings but as camp shoes your feet would be very sweaty since they’re not breathable at all. Maybe with some wool socks? These are what I use, which happened to be on the porch drying out B3911286-BCA2-40B4-9C7B-7A98DF06DB7F.jpeg

I haven't hunted since I shot rabbit in Ireland with my dad a million years ago but I do want to get back into it. I recently watch a video where the hunter stated in regular boots then removed them and put on crocs, then removed the crocs and when in his socks.

I used a pair of sprinter running shoes for years. Thin sole that you can feel twigs and other things under your feel. Only thing you need to paint them if you get some funky colors.

I haven't hunted since I shot rabbit in Ireland with my dad a million years ago but I do want to get back into it. I recently watch a video where the hunter stated in regular boots then removed them and put on crocs, then removed the crocs and when in his socks.
I use crocs as camp shoes and would never attempt a stalk in them. Not only will they squeak if there is any moisture but their lateral stability is really bad. Pretty easy to basically slide out of them side-hilling.

Crocs are on my no-fly list, at least for my intended purpose, for all of those reasons. The water I cross is also very cold and I’m even avoiding using them as crossing shoes for now.

They would make great camp shoes but I’m trying to take less gear as the # of gadgets I’m taking seems to grow!

Thanks!

I used a pair of sprinter running shoes for years. Thin sole that you can feel twigs and other things under your feel. Only thing you need to paint them if you get some funky colors.

Interesting idea! I’ll take a look at that. They generally uncomfortable for extended periods of time or would could they be a camp shoe as well?

In all seriousness, it is more about learning how to stalk than buying gimmicks to make you quieter. Where I spend most of my time archery hunting, it would be a no go with most every option above because it is just too steep and loose to drop the boots. Despite that, in the past decade I have snuck into 30 yards or less on quite a few deer despite the habitat (lots of madrones and oaks). Don't just plop your foot down when taking a step - place your foot and then SLOWLY shift your weight onto it. Learn what is loud and what isn't in the habitat you are hunting and pick your routes and your steps accordingly. Use the topography to your benefit, even a small terrain feature can really help block noise. Use game trails where you can. And slow down.

I’ve heard Remi Warren say that he takes a pair of foam dollar store flip flops, cuts off the toe straps and then puts them in pair of wool socks. I haven’t personally tried it, but would imagine it works if he’s using it.

Redneck but works great, super quiet.
Just cut up an old rug to fit my tennis shoes, hot glued one side and shoe gooed the other. Hot glue failed after 10 miles. Sho goo will not fail ever.

I know your question wasn’t “should I use stalking shoes” so forgive me if you aren’t interested in my point of view. Here goes.

I toyed with the idea and have decided to just keep my boots on. I personally don’t think stalking shoes/socks make a big enough difference to justify:
1- the possibility of losing my boots. If the critter moves and I decide to pursue that could take me farther from my boots. I don’t like the idea of leaving my boots behind. I will not drop my pack either.
2- the extra weight in my pack. Generally it’s going to be difficult to find a pair that weighs much less than 8 ounces. Thick socks are the exception but you have reasons to not want those.
3- the extra time to stop and switch. In my experience time is critical, and wind. More so than the tiny reduction in noise. Add a little paranoia about losing my boots and add the time to mark them on my gps.
4- extra complication. Something else to fuss with while I could be spending that time putting together a solid sneak plan and just generally moving slower.
5- the additional cost. Not a big deal but it is a deal.

Last edited:
Back