Spray Foam Archery Target?????

Geewhiz

WKR
IME spray foam/great stuff/ blueboard stops arrows just fine, but the problem I experienced is the friction created by the arrow entering the target would actually melt a bit of foam to the shaft and over time (not much time) there was a buildup of hard plastic melted foam coating the front half of the arrow. I bagged that idea and moved to carpet which has worked awesome.

Carpet remnants are probable the cheapest. Hang them with a cable and do multiple layers and you should be fine. I've also done the clothes idea. Did a 4x4 target built on a platform at eye level. Two layers of carfboard on front and back. Then I wrapped the whole thing in a tarp. I left it outside in the rain and snow and it held up fine. I shot the crap out of it and then just replaced the cardboard and tarp again, good as new. If you use it as just an emergency stop, it could last years. Especially indoors. You could probably get the larger cardboard from lowes or HD for free by asking for stuff unboxed for display (applieces ect.)

we have pole setting foam at work. I tried making a target by dumping it in a box but the foam isn’t the memory type. It’s too brittle. I may do some more testing by adding some different materials as long as it’s not hazardous to breathe. We did make a dock floats out of it which was cool!

LilBit

FNG
That stuff won’t hold up. And what they spray for insulation isnt very dense

You can order mixable foam from smoothon.com The flex foam. I think 15# is they one you want. Maybe it’s 14. It will mention archery in description. That stuff is pricey but is real target quality

For just a backdrop. Try a horse stall mat from tractor supply. That’s not meant to be shot but a lot of people use it as a back stop
Pricey for sure. It's the Flex Foam 15 tuff stuff from them. I was looking at them to repair a couple targets and for the 1 gallon its $207.86 before tax and shipping to get about 2,200 cubic inches. For that kind of money I'd rather just buy a new target. https://shop.smooth-on.com/flexfoam-it-15

I went the cheap route to repair those targets and used Loctite Tite expanding foam. It's fine for field points but broadheads are a bitch to pull out. Can't speak on the longevity of this since I've only done a few round of shooting thus far.

Beendare

WKR
This is what I used….its heavier foam than the target itself. You can probably find a cheaper somewhere besides three Rivers Archery.
Link

And you can make it look better than mine if you sand it even after it dries

LilBit

FNG
This is what I used….its heavier foam than the target itself. You can probably find a cheaper somewhere besides three Rivers Archery.
Link

I believe that's called their "Trial Unit". That'll get you about 340 cubic inches of foam according to their site. So about 7" x 7" x 7".

Here are their material estimating calculators:

rwell98

FNG
Horse stall mat has worked great for me. Make sure it’s hanging so it can swing and absorb some impact. Arrows can be tough to remove sometimes though.

I have been shooting at urethane foam targets for years. I built a target ''box'' with a roof covered with a piece of tin and take it to my insulation foam guy and get him to fill it up. Ends up about about 14''-16'' thick and 4'x4'. It will usually last about ten years of broadhead and fieldpoint use until I need to redo it. Last time it was like $200. Also have a truck tarp that covers the target to protect from UV.

Beendare

WKR
Link

That was the 15# stuff and it really stops an arrow. The mackenzie targets are probably 5# foam.

Ive tried the cans….just too light and it doesn’t flex, just crushes leaving a bunch of holes then crumbles. Same for the one type of hard pourable foam- no good.

The flex foam is the way to go and you can find it much cheaper than 3 rivers.