Spotting scope on a budget

Hey guys!
I am looking for some updated info in 2022 on budget friendly spotters. I have a few in mind and am trying to pick them apart to see what makes sense.

I just bought a pair of Maven b1.2 8x42s and am now looking to add an inexpensive 50 or 65 mm spotter to the mix.

I spent most of my budget for this years new hunting gear on the binos after trying a couple of other options, so now I am in a goofy place. I want a spotter, but I also don't need an amazing piece of optical magic. (No I probably wont save for another 2 years to buy an alpha spotter)

I went with nicer binos because I carry them every single outing of Turkey, bear, elk, whitetail and predator season. Heck I use them scouting, checking out the squirrels in the back yard, everything.

Now- Here is what I think I need in a spotter...
I want something inexpensive (500$ or less, used is fine) because it will likely see far more time in the truck and at home than it will in the field.

I want something that I could theoretically pack for archery elk (not every day, but if I was in the open country or just to scout a new spot) as well as rifle elk in wyoming next year with my wife and dad. I want to be able to use it for antelope, and for open country whitetails. But don't need to be able to pick apart inches. Basically, confirm what the binos told me. And make sure that there isn't a sneaky critter ready to blow my stalk.

I also would like to use a spotter from the truck for scouting ducks and geese, turkeys and potentially antelope and deer. I already have a window mount to use when I find a spotter.

I would also use the spotter for sighting in rifles.

So here is the short list of spotters I have come across as well as the current prices. I am trying to find a good value, not just a cheap or expensive scope.

So right now my current top contenders under 500$ are

Vanguard endeavor hd 15-45 x65 on sale for 287$

Leupold sx2- on sale for $309

Hawke endurance ed 15-45x60. On sale for $445

Athlon ares- 15-45x65 for $578

Athlon argos- 20-60x85 for $309
Of those listed, what do you guys think?
I feel like I am leaning towards than vanguard for sub 300... Is that a decent deal for a scope that will see a little use or?

I really appreciate it guys.

Yes I know... Save up and buy alpha... Lol

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and your timing is perfect as we are running our President's Weekend Sale Through Tuesday 2/22/21. Please give me, or Neil, a call, 516-217-1000.
If you can swing it the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 UHD Spotters are a best option under $1,000.00
  • UHD Glass: Extra-low dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings an ultimate clearest and sharpest image to your eyes
  • Interchangeable: Eyepiece Interchangeable Eyepiece allows you to swap the standard variable power eyepiece with a fixed 24 power eyepiece with a MIL ranging reticle in it.
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Aluminum Alloy Chassis: Aluminum alloy chassis offers you the strength of a metal chassis and the life time durability.
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes thus will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses bring you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s my listing in the classifieds. Let me know if this interests you.

OP
E
I bought the Athlon Ares last fall and it has been great. I don't have a lot of experience with spotters but I have been more than happy the the Athlon! Got a picture of this deer at about 900 yards this archery season. Most of the distortion is from the zoom on my iPhone.

View attachment 383687

View attachment 383688
Dang man... Looks pretty awesome! I am starting to really love glassing. Seeing that picture makes me want to go back to Wyoming right now.

Graybush

FNG
I use a Pentax PF-65EDII with fixed XW-series eyepieces and am very happy with the system. Built in Japan.

I'm looking to buy an ats or sts 65 swarovski, but this photo is at 1400 yds with the vanguard endeavor 82 ED. Was holding the phone to the eyepiece so wasn't the best shot. Got some video too.

Attachments

• 20211205_092918.jpg
    20211205_092918.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 155
OP
E
I use a Pentax PF-65EDII with fixed XW-series eyepieces and am very happy with the system. Built in Japan.
Why have I not heard of pentax before until just recently? I must be down the rabbit hole far enough now to start to jear about more than what is sold at the local shop 😂

Which power is the fixed eyepiece?

OP
E
I'm looking to buy an ats or sts 65 swarovski, but this photo is at 1400 yds with the vanguard endeavor 82 ED. Was holding the phone to the eyepiece so wasn't the best shot. Got some video too.
Man that really isnt a bad view at 1400. Obviously a guy can see the edge of the image is blurry, but that center looks really pretty dang good. Do you still have the scope? Since you are looking for a new spotter, is it just time for you to upgrade?

Thank you for sharing!

Man that really isnt a bad view at 1400. Obviously a guy can see the edge of the image is blurry, but that center looks really pretty dang good. Do you still have the scope? Since you are looking for a new spotter, is it just time for you to upgrade?

Thank you for sharing!
Still have it and probably will keep it for my son. It's pretty decent. I'm getting a swarovski so I won't be second guessing the clarity. I have a Nikon ED 50 that is much clearer, almost perfect, but a little too dim in the morning and evening.