SpiteFire 100 Grain 1 3/4" for Elk

Hoyt24

FNG
I've always had great success with SpitFires for White tail but I realize elk are another ball game. I am headed to Wyoming Sunday and folks are pressuring me to go to a fixed head. Has anyone had success...or horror stories w/Spitfires on elk? I shoot a heavy arrow....32" draw and 70'lb.
Thanks
Joe

KyleR1985

WKR
I shot muzzys in the beginning of my bowhunting career, then followed the craze, and went to mechanicals. I had a run of about a dozen whitetails with lightweight carbons, then fmj’s and 75gr inserts, paired with spitfire’s. They were devastating in every case. I watched as other friends lost deer or had crappy recoveries with them, and began to wonder if I was just testing the odds.

Two seasons ago I began to really consider keeping with heavier arrows and going to fixed blades again. I took notice of folks who said deer didnt seem to run away with a fire underneath them when hit with COC fixed with heavy arrows. Every single deer I shot with the spitfires took off in a dead sprint, though all had good blood trails and were recovered. I shot a doe in Missouri, and the arrow entered exactly where you’d want to hit with the deer at 25 yards and broadside. I saw it exit pointing up, and reached about 20-30’ in the air before hitting the ground. She hauled butt, and then I watched her lay down in thicket and take about an hour to die.

I thought that exit was really odd, until I came up on the deer. The arrow entered perfectly, but deflected/redirected and angled inside her chest towards her neck, rode up her neck, and exited about 6” below her jaw on the opposite side. Two blades were missing. The path the arrow took through her should have meant death within seconds, as it basically followed plumbing to the brain. But it was essentially a field point on the path through the neck.

I recovered the deer, and all was well. When I got home I tuned up fixed points and haven’t looked back. I firmly believe the broad head had a lot to do with the deflection, but even if it didn’t, a fixed cut on contact with thick blades would have had that deer on the ground in seconds taking that path.

Since then I’ve taken five deer with 510-575gr coc fixed blades. None have traveled more than 50 yards. Four stopped within 15-20 yards to look around and see what happened, before tipping over. The fifth trotted back down the trail he came in on and crashed right at about 50 yards, but still had no idea.

Sample size is small for me, but I’ve watched way too many deer suffer or walk away from friends or other hunters. Sure, the extra cutting diameter may save a shot here and there. And millions of deer and elk are killed with them. If you accept the added risk for deflection/damage, it’s your choice. It’s certainly not the worst thing you can do. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me.

I have a pile of spitfire 100’s and 125’s I’ll make you a great deal on if you stay the course!

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
I shot muzzys in the beginning of my bowhunting career, then followed the craze, and went to mechanicals. I had a run of about a dozen whitetails with lightweight carbons, then fmj’s and 75gr inserts, paired with spitfire’s. They were devastating in every case. I watched as other friends lost deer or had crappy recoveries with them, and began to wonder if I was just testing the odds.

Two seasons ago I began to really consider keeping with heavier arrows and going to fixed blades again. I took notice of folks who said deer didnt seem to run away with a fire underneath them when hit with COC fixed with heavy arrows. Every single deer I shot with the spitfires took off in a dead sprint, though all had good blood trails and were recovered. I shot a doe in Missouri, and the arrow entered exactly where you’d want to hit with the deer at 25 yards and broadside. I saw it exit pointing up, and reached about 20-30’ in the air before hitting the ground. She hauled butt, and then I watched her lay down in thicket and take about an hour to die.

I thought that exit was really odd, until I came up on the deer. The arrow entered perfectly, but deflected/redirected and angled inside her chest towards her neck, rode up her neck, and exited about 6” below her jaw on the opposite side. Two blades were missing. The path the arrow took through her should have meant death within seconds, as it basically followed plumbing to the brain. But it was essentially a field point on the path through the neck.

I recovered the deer, and all was well. When I got home I tuned up fixed points and haven’t looked back. I firmly believe the broad head had a lot to do with the deflection, but even if it didn’t, a fixed cut on contact with thick blades would have had that deer on the ground in seconds taking that path.

Since then I’ve taken five deer with 510-575gr coc fixed blades. None have traveled more than 50 yards. Four stopped within 15-20 yards to look around and see what happened, before tipping over. The fifth trotted back down the trail he came in on and crashed right at about 50 yards, but still had no idea.

Sample size is small for me, but I’ve watched way too many deer suffer or walk away from friends or other hunters. Sure, the extra cutting diameter may save a shot here and there. And millions of deer and elk are killed with them. If you accept the added risk for deflection/damage, it’s your choice. It’s certainly not the worst thing you can do. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me.

I have a pile of spitfire 100’s and 125’s I’ll make you a great deal on if you stay the course!
Great info man! I have always had good success with Spitfires but your experience alone makes me seriously consider fixed again. I was a Thunderhead guy for years until jumping on the spitfire wagon.

wapitibob

WKR
I’ve shot a handful of bulls with the spitfire 125 and the old 100 which was 1-1/2” originally. I’m using the old 100’s this year, 50#, 425 gr arrow.

Marble

WKR
480 Easton Blood Line is what I shoot
That's about right. It's a little late for this season, but don't be afraid to try even heavier stuff.

I'm not super experienced at archery, but I am at killing bulls. What I can say about bulls is they are super tough and poo poo happens while hunting. That's doesnt mean a mech broadhead isn't for you during your hunt. It just means that take in the totality if the circumstances and make a decision.

My profession causes me to predict liability, danger and Murphy's unforeseen events sho success and safetyis achieved. That's one of the reasons I shoot fixed blade heads.

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
That's about right. It's a little late for this season, but don't be afraid to try even heavier stuff.

I'm not super experienced at archery, but I am at killing bulls. What I can say about bulls is they are super tough and poo poo happens while hunting. That's doesnt mean a mech broadhead isn't for you during your hunt. It just means that take in the totality if the circumstances and make a decision.

My profession causes me to predict liability, danger and Murphy's unforeseen events sho success and safetyis achieved. That's one of the reasons I shoot fixed blade heads.
Understood and thank you for the input!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't think I'd ever use the 1 3/4" version on an elk......it's only 1/4" larger.......but still........

I've used a 125gr Spitfire and GR Fatal Steel on elk (both 1 1/2") and they were devastating in both cases. I shoot a 520gr arrow at 32 1/2" draw at 75lbs.

Btaylor

WKR
I havent shot an elk with a spitfire but have shot a few dozen whitetails with both the standard spitfire and the maxx's. In my experience the 1.5" has consistently penetrated better but it also has consistently produced better blood trails. I have never had one deflect, come apart or break a blade on a whitetail. I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with the standard 1.5" spitfire. That said, if your confidence is shot with any head, dont shoot it. There are several really good fixed heads to choose from these days.

Spitfires are a great mechanical broadheads. They are one of the tuffest heads I have shot. Between me and a couple friends we have shot over 20 animals with spitfires with no problems.

I have shot the 100 grain 1.5 inch, 100 grain 1.75 inch, and the 100 grain 2 inch. I personally only elk hunt with the 1.5 inch. The blades don’t lay back as much on the the 1.75 and the 2 inch. The blades angle on the 1.5 makes them penetrate really well.

I also hunt with slick trick vipertricks, so I’m not just a mechanical guy. I tune my bow to shoot broadheads and field tips to at least 60 yards

Between me and a couple friends that shoot spitfires, I can’t think of a situation where the broadheads failed. We always have good blood to follow with 1.5 inch spitfires. That has not always been the case with the smaller vipertrick fixed blade heads.

tracker12

WKR
I've always had great success with SpitFires for White tail but I realize elk are another ball game. I am headed to Wyoming Sunday and folks are pressuring me to go to a fixed head. Has anyone had success...or horror stories w/Spitfires on elk? I shoot a heavy arrow....32" draw and 70'lb.
Thanks
Joe
Your be fine with what your using. Don’t get pressured into fixed heads.

Standard original 1.5” Spitfires for me. I hunt everything with them....literally for the past 3 seasons with total satisfaction. That includes elk, bears (black & polar), deer, sheep, etc. They are in the quiver for caribou and moose too.

My hunting buddies all shoot them and have racked up a lot of moose, black and grizzly bears, caribou and goats with them.

I have gotten pass-thrus unless I’ve hit the offside shoulder and all have had decent blood trails. Accuracy is superb and the ferrules and blades are tough. Sharpness is better than any other pre-sharpened head I have used and the blades stay sharp due to protection by the design where the edges are housed inside the ferrule until opened. I’m shooting a 475 gr arrow from a 65# bow at 29” draw. Good luck!

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
I don't think I'd ever use the 1 3/4" version on an elk......it's only 1/4" larger.......but still........

I've used a 125gr Spitfire and GR Fatal Steel on elk (both 1 1/2") and they were devastating in both cases. I shoot a 520gr arrow at 32 1/2" draw at 75lbs.
thoughts on 100 grain spitfire?

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
Standard original 1.5” Spitfires for me. I hunt everything with them....literally for the past 3 seasons with total satisfaction. That includes elk, bears (black & polar), deer, sheep, etc. They are in the quiver for caribou and moose too.

My hunting buddies all shoot them and have racked up a lot of moose, black and grizzly bears, caribou and goats with them.

I have gotten pass-thrus unless I’ve hit the offside shoulder and all have had decent blood trails. Accuracy is superb and the ferrules and blades are tough. Sharpness is better than any other pre-sharpened head I have used and the blades stay sharp due to protection by the design where the edges are housed inside the ferrule until opened. I’m shooting a 475 gr arrow from a 65# bow at 29” draw. Good luck!
Thank you very much for your input and experience!

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
Spitfires are a great mechanical broadheads. They are one of the tuffest heads I have shot. Between me and a couple friends we have shot over 20 animals with spitfires with no problems.

I have shot the 100 grain 1.5 inch, 100 grain 1.75 inch, and the 100 grain 2 inch. I personally only elk hunt with the 1.5 inch. The blades don’t lay back as much on the the 1.75 and the 2 inch. The blades angle on the 1.5 makes them penetrate really well.

I also hunt with slick trick vipertricks, so I’m not just a mechanical guy. I tune my bow to shoot broadheads and field tips to at least 60 yards

Between me and a couple friends that shoot spitfires, I can’t think of a situation where the broadheads failed. We always have good blood to follow with 1.5 inch spitfires. That has not always been the case with the smaller vipertrick fixed blade heads.
Thank you sir! Greatly appreciated!