Broadheads for Elk

Definitely interested in this. My uncle uses the G5 Montec. I’m still trying to decide for this year. I got a great deal on a couple packs of G5 Deadmeat heads. May end up going that route or try the Striker v2. One thing I like about G5 is the bmp they make so you can shoot them regularly without screwing with your actual broadhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was slow to get my new bow set up for my broadheads last year and they weren't flying quite right so I threw on the Dead Meat mechanicals and made a great long distance shot on a doe antelope but I had a really bad experience putting one into a bull's shoulder with a 496 gr. arrow out of 70 lb bow. They fly great, but that experience has got me turned off from using them for elk. I've heard good things about the Montecs for elk and I would bet you will get better penetration if you happen to contact bone with them vs the mechanicals.

Wackedo

FNG
I was slow to get my new bow set up for my broadheads last year and they weren't flying quite right so I threw on the Dead Meat mechanicals and made a great long distance shot on a doe antelope but I had a really bad experience putting one into a bull's shoulder with a 496 gr. arrow out of 70 lb bow. They fly great, but that experience has got me turned off from using them for elk. I've heard good things about the Montecs for elk and I would bet you will get better penetration if you happen to contact bone with them vs the mechanicals.

Glad to hear someone with specific experience with that head, rather than just “never use mechanicals”. I know Jason Matzinger said he used the deadmeat on his bull last year, but there’s just something to be said about a fixed blade broadhead.

Btaylor

WKR
Glad to hear someone with specific experience with that head, rather than just “never use mechanicals”. I know Jason Matzinger said he used the deadmeat on his bull last year, but there’s just something to be said about a fixed blade broadhead.

I killed a cow and 3 whitetails last year with the deadmeats. None of the 4 ran over 85 yards. That said none of the blood trails were what I would call good. They were really hard to follow but not what you would expect from a 1.5" 3 blade head either. After a season shooting them, they are a head I would have every confidence in putting an animal down pretty quick but would not be my first choice.

Prime18

FNG
I've become a fan of two blade single bevel heads. Bone Broadheads will freak you out with how small they are...but they work. Have some Kudupoints as well that are deadly.
I was talked into kudu points and bought some with very good results as far as target however, I once shot a doe at 5 yards she was hit so violently that arrow went through both lungs and liver all while the arrow continued flight and lodged into a juniper. It was impressive! Yet no matter how impressed I was from the shot I still had to track this deer for 200 plus yards. There fore I’m thinking of switching to an exodus or the new striker V2, any thoughts?

If you let the air out of her and got liver, that ain't the broadhead, that's the will to live.

You're looking for a broadhead for deer? Honestly I've sorta come to the point where when I walk into a shop, I'm faced with a whole wall of good options. Any reasonable broadhead will kill a deer if the Hunter does their job. The original muzzy 3blade is probably responsible for more heads on the wall and meat in the freezer than anything out there...rage may be catching up and this point.

Elk...fixed blade, no question...lots of good options above. Muzzy, slick trick, g5 are three good choices.

Deer...fixed blade or three blade expandable. Or try one of those giant 2" cut 2-blades. I used T-3s for years but they no longer make them. I'm using wasp and Wac-em right now for no other reason than they were $19 on camofire.

We seem to have gotten it into our heads that every animal we chase is a water buffalo and that simply isn't the case.

Most folks looking for the ultimate broadhead would be better off looking for it at the target range. 😉

sneaky

"DADDY"
Limited experience here but 1 wac em fired, 1 dead bull. Went about 40 yards. Died quick.
Pretty much my experience with everything I've shot with a Wac'Em. Those things are deadly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR

I like mechanicals and they do leave some kinetic energy on the table.

The deal with hitting a shoulder is that most arrows aren't going thru. So many guys lament sticking an arrow into a deer's shoulder, never mind an elk. The positive side of things is that the bull most likely lived.

I wouldn't blame the broadhead for not penetrating an elk shoulder. Few if any could - fixed blade or mechanical.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Grizz trick 2 muzzy mx3
Ramcat but the ram cat blades tend to loosen up so check them
Regularly I my self had to tighten them to much so I went to the grizz trick 2 .

Broadheads are not critter specific. Tuning one to hit behind the pin is the most important aspect of killing anything. Shot placement and angle is always the number one issue for penetration. Don't get me wrong, solid construction, sharp blades and cutting diameter mean a lot. But.... when it boils right down to it, its more about where you hit em and where the arrow is going that does the damage

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
100 grain Solid Broadheads with 1/2" bleeder. Dropped a bull and buck in consecutive years within sight with complete pass thru's and the heads still shootable. Have a hunting partner that had similar results on a deer last year with same head. Seem to shoot extremely accurate and are pretty indestructible. We did notice that there was very little external bleeding, but didn't need it as all animals have expired within sight, but if you ever get a bad hit it may be an issue for tracking. They are also pretty spendy like the Iron Will, but for us right now the good has outweighed any reason to switch.

I shoot the 125s and have had very similar results. Very little blood trail to follow but the trail is usually short. I did have one ferule break on me when I punched the shoulder blade of a young cow. They compensated by giving me 3 brand new heads. Great customer service and they shoot great. I think I am on my 3rd whitetail with one head. They stay really sharp.

As to be expected, there are numerous responses to this question. Personally I've shot Wac 'em 125 gr. 4 blades and they're awesome. Everything from turkeys to elk that were broadside to frontal all ending with an animal on the ground.

They fly awesome too. They're a replaceable blade broadhead so the blades aren't as thick as a solid head. However, all I've had to do is replace the blades and touch up the point and it's good to go. And they used to come in a 4 pack for the same price as a 3 pack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I shot my first bull two years ago. I was fairly new to elk hunting to say the least. I was using an 400ish grain arrow with a Muzzy 100 3 blade(reg not MX3). I tracked that bull for two days and kept losing the blood trail. Ended up losing the elk. Not totally the broadheads fault as I probably made a bad hit. It did shake my confidence in my set up. I now shoot a 500 gr arrow with 125 gr head and 50 gr insert. I used Kudupoints last year on the advice of the local shop. I hit a bull last year and the blood was minimal and I never found the arrow. I believe I clipped a branch and it was a graze as I watched that bull for about 5 minutes on the side of the hill before it walked away. I tracked him for a 1/2 mile with no blood other than a few drops where I shot him.
Bottom line is I am thinking about a broadhead change. I bought a pack of QAD Exodus to try but haven't shot them yet.

Jsc

FNG
G5 striker has been good for me. Looking forward to trying the new version (striker V2)

Idahunt

FNG
I've got 125gr. Bone broadheads. They fly well, very close with my field points. 2 blade single bevel no replaceable broadheads for me

This will be my first season archery hunting! Good info here. I have the Muzzy Trocars and the Flying Arrow Archery Toxic broadheads (won a 3 pack on FB).

I’m going to have 3 of each. See what flies best with my setup and home for proper placement of my arrow! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Slick tricks and VPAs are two of my favorite for compound. I'm going to give the Cutthroats a try this year with my recurve.