Broadheads for Elk

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I need to just do one big post and let everyone answer that one but I forget to so here is yet another entry. New bow setup looking to sling a bit heavier arrow setup for elk. Say approx. 500 to 600 grain arrow setup and I have yet to decide on a broad head. I have only ever used muzzy for white tail hunting. a few years ago I bought some of the wac'em heads and still haven't had a chance to shoot anything with them so I cant compare. I prefer fixed cut on contact. Any recommendations and why

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed several elk and other big game animals with 100 grain Innerlocs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Muzzy , muzzy mx 3 , grizz trick 2 and montec but I’m not a big fan of the montec they have a small cut diameter than the rest

hobbes

WKR
Three requirements.........sharp blades, sturdy construction, fly to where I point them. You have to do the rest. I prefer fixed heads that will do those things. Most everything else is fluff or marketing. Muzzy heads will work fine if you put them where they are supposed to go.

Swede

WKR
I am sure I have killed elk with at least a half dozen different brands of broadheads over the years. I can't say there is one right one. Get one that is sharp and will fly well and you probably are alright. I prefer fixed blade broadheads, but I see some great results coming from some mechanicals. I shot an elk last September with a Cyclone. I have read a post where someone was really disparaging them. The elk I shot poured out blood like it was coming out of a faucet. It dropped almost immediately.

idcuda

WKR
100gr Thunderheads. Haven't found a reason to spend more money yet. They've worked on deer, antelope, and elk.

406unltd

WKR
125 slicktrick standard. Tough, compact, sharp, and accurate. There are too many good heads out there to worry if you have the right one. Once an animal fell to this head I stopped searching because I just need something that works. I don’t have the money to buy these awesome new heads that cost 20-30$ per head. Wish I did

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I feel iron wills are overpriced, but they are awesome. They come scary sharp and remain that way after passing through an animal. I shot my bull this year with one and after passing through ribs on both sides and burying and the rocky ground behind him, it would still shave hair. I wouldn't recommend them for whitetail because of the price, but with all the time and $ in an elk hunt, what's another $100 that might last you years. It also makes you pick your shots a little better knowing your sending a $50 bill down range!

Attachments

• 20180917_135120.jpg
    20180917_135120.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

slider

FNG
As an Easterner I have limited chances to hunt elk but I’ve been able to take 2 elk, one with a G5 striker the other was a QAD Exodus. Both dropped them inside of 40 yards. The G5 snapped at the fertile and the exodus had damaged blades. I’m not complaining, just giving the picture.
Next time I go I’ll be packing either Iron Wills or Strickland Helix.

Nerhunter

FNG
Slick trick standards keep working for me. Accuracy and toughness are world class, blood trails, not so much. Pick your poison. I'll try Spitfires/Trypans on cow elk this year as I need some blood to follow, tired of doing a grid search for the carcass!photo1.jpg

Nerhunter

FNG
125 yards, still don't bleed out well, I'm more into trauma these days with big expandables droppping my deer within sight, going to try one on elk

Swede

WKR
I have had aluminum ferrules break before, but it had no adverse effect on making the kill as the penetration was complete. Ferrules break due to the muscle or bone movement on the side of the broadhead shaft. When it is going forward, the ferrule is very strong. When aluminum ferrules break, the blades come off and you will want to find them before they find you.

Not a fixed broadhead shooter since introduced to Rage. I've shot 2 NM/1 CO bulls with 100 grain heads/Carbon Express 350. Massive damage, less than 40 yard for where shot, dead! Before transitioning to Rage, Slicktrick and Muzzy MX3 worked.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Last couple of archery bulls were with ShuttleT-Locs but not so confident in staying with them once I ran out since they've since sold and are now made overseas. Been considering investing in vented Ironwills as well as G5 Deadmeats to have both fixed and expandables covered.