Speed vs Accuracy?

Trying out some 140gr accubonds in my 6.5 CM over the weekend, and I only have 2 powders to try right now so I made up 6 different loads based off nosler's load data - H4350 and IMR4350 with 41.5, 39.5, and 37.5.

The best group for me was the IMR4350 with 37.5, followed pretty closely by H4350 with 41.5 (1/2" and 3/4"). According to noslers data, that H4350 load is going about 2700fps, and the IMR load is going about 2453fps.

For hunting, would you sacrifice a little accuracy (.25moa) for another 250fps? I worry about bullet performance at longer distances if I start out too slow of a muzzle velocity, but maybe it's not an issue?

ckleeves

WKR
Do you have access to a chronograph? Going off published velocity usually isn’t very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
Load up some more of the h4350 load, and see if it will be a consistent 3/4" load. If so, that's plenty good for 99% of hunting rifles.

fatbacks

WKR
I would also check velocities with a chrono. If you are shooting half inch but have a huge SD and ES your accuracy will go to hell at extended ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

be fair your test is incomplete

The fun, but at time aggravating and tedious nature to hand loading is the requirement to be thorough and see the process through.

I’m assuming a few things here but:

3 shots and or 2 grain jumps in powder charges isn’t real thorough or detail oriented.

Guessing at velocity based off of book figure is WAG.. real data varies alot

Without a chrony your best best will be an OCW chart and then test your mid node load at distance. 500 yards tends to be a good distance from my experience.

At some point you’ll want to test a load to really see what grouping will be like. 7 shots minimum. 10 probably better.

Figure 50 rounds minimum here. you are going to need a lot of data points.

OP
cornfedkiller
I know my testing was very incomplete, but it was just my initial test to see if I could get accubonds to group at all before I switch from ELD-X.

The test groups were 4 shots, and 2 grain increments were to get a good starting point and then I figured I would start with the best group and fine tune from there. And I know going off published velocity isn't that accurate, but I figured it would at least give me an idea of roughly how much faster 1 load is traveling than the other.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have no interest in shooting a slow, accurate load. I'm only interested in shooting fast, accurate load. I only load for about 5 or 6 different rifles, but I've never had a problem finding that combo.

Trying out some 140gr accubonds in my 6.5 CM over the weekend, and I only have 2 powders to try right now so I made up 6 different loads based off nosler's load data - H4350 and IMR4350 with 41.5, 39.5, and 37.5.

The best group for me was the IMR4350 with 37.5, followed pretty closely by H4350 with 41.5 (1/2" and 3/4"). According to noslers data, that H4350 load is going about 2700fps, and the IMR load is going about 2453fps.

For hunting, would you sacrifice a little accuracy (.25moa) for another 250fps? I worry about bullet performance at longer distances if I start out too slow of a muzzle velocity, but maybe it's not an issue?
Yes, I'd gladly give up 0.25" in accuracy for 250 fps in a hunting load.

FURMAN

WKR
All depends on what you consider "accurate" I guess.
That ranks right up there with Bill Clintons "it depends on what your definition of is is". Accuracy means the most accurate load in the rifle. I will chose accuracy over speed every day. It doesn't matter if it is going 4000fps if you can't hit it. I would not "give up" .25 moa for 500 fps. It may not be the exact same context but Wyatt Earp said "fast is fine but accuracy is final". I think that applies here as well.

As a matter of fact I usually do not even break out the chrono until I have found my load.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
I also would not give up accuracy for speed. My 260 Rem pushes 140 Berger Elite Hunter bullets with H4350 at 2,505 FPS out of a factory Tikka T3 Lite. Groups are sub .25 MOA. You almost always have to give up something to get something. If you don’t plan to shoot past 200 yards then it really doesn’t matter. If you do then I would choose accuracy. Try using OCW (optimum charge weight) when doing your load development. Get a chronograph. I actually have two. I use a Caldwell when doing my load development, and then I use a Magnetospeed Sporter after I choose my final load. Also never pick your powder by what you have on the shelf. There’s plenty of information for accurate powders with a certain cartridge and bullet weight.

Last edited:

USMC-40

WKR
A .75 MOA rifle is far from being inaccurate - the Wyatt Earp quote might apply if we were talking about a couple MOA difference. Speed kills farther. Might not make a difference in 5-600 yard and less shooting but then again neither will .25 MOA

FURMAN

WKR
Unless you shoot/hunt in a vacuum, speed can be a corollary to accuracy at distance. Saying you would trade 500 FPS for 1/4 MOA is an equivocated statement.
"equivocated" I am not sure you know what that means. I was very clear in my statement. So this is why they shoot RUMs etc in long range benchrest? Speed never replaces accuracy or precision. If your statement were true 1000 yard benchresters would shoot the canons in the wind. You will not find a "fast" cartridge winning anything important in benchrest world. If you believe that does not apply to hunting we have nothing further to discuss. You are all entitled to your opinion. I gave mine. Accuracy wins every time period. If you guys are only shooting at 200 yards then who cares none of it matters. Grandpas 30-30 will get the job done. Good luck!

That ranks right up there with Bill Clintons "it depends on what your definition of is is". Accuracy means the most accurate load in the rifle. I will chose accuracy over speed every day. It doesn't matter if it is going 4000fps if you can't hit it. I would not "give up" .25 moa for 500 fps. It may not be the exact same context but Wyatt Earp said "fast is fine but accuracy is final". I think that applies here as well.

As a matter of fact I usually do not even break out the chrono until I have found my load.
Whatever man. The question was the difference between 1/2 MOA and 3/4 MOA.

Nobody here can reliably tell the difference in 1/4 MOA in actual field hunting conditions anyway. Unless you're dragging a bench around the woods with you and all your animals stand perfectly still.

If 1/4 MOA is enough to make or break a shot, then you aren't very good at getting close.

You mentioned bench rest shooting twice in your post. And here I thought this was a hunting forum. LOL

FURMAN

WKR
Whatever man. The question was the difference between 1/2 MOA and 3/4 MOA.

Nobody here can reliably tell the difference in 1/4 MOA in actual field hunting conditions anyway. Unless you're dragging a bench around the woods with you and all your animals stand perfectly still.

If 1/4 MOA is enough to make or break a shot, then you aren't very good at getting close.

You mentioned bench rest shooting twice in your post. And here I thought this was a hunting forum. LOL

I can absolutely tell the difference between 3/4 and 1/2 moa from prone with a bipod in field conditions and anyone who can shoot worth a damn can as well. That is the dumbest thing I will read this week guaranteed. If you really feel so strongly about the last remark you need to put the rifle down and pick up a recurve. Like I said if you are so ignorant that you feel you can't learn from benchrest we have zero to discuss. I am done arguing. I have better things to do. Pick your speed have a ball.