Speed check on 30’ Ventum: this normal or something off?

Getting ready for my first archery elk hunt (early Arizona unit 8), so been working my bow hard the last couple months. Decided after a couple years of ownership to weigh everything and chronograph… the results weren’t what I was hoping.

Setup is a Hoyt Ventum pro 30. I have the limbs turned all the way in so presumably I am pulling 70lbs. Arrow weight with a 100 grain tip is 385 (ish) grains.

Three shots on the chrony all read 285 ft/sec.

I was surprised as I thought for sure I would be over 300 ft/sec. I am still over the recommended energy for elk per the internets, but it is borderline. Plus I recently pushed my five pin sight from 20-60 to 30-70 yards, so the more speed the more better.

So, is this actually about right? Or is this speed with what I thought was a relatively light arrow a sign something is off?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Next step is to go to my bow shop where I got it, but figured check here first in case this is completely normal and I don’t waste their time and make myself look dumb.

I believe 27.5 (possibly 28)… going off memory when they set me up at the shop and a quick measurement I just did myself.
I should have phrased my question differently...what draw length is your bow set to? There should be letters inscribed on the modules, which correlate to draw length per the chart below.
Screenshot_20240625_180259.jpg

MattB

WKR
Figure out your draw length and actual
poundage. That does seem slow, and that’s a pretty light arrow for elk IMO. Ignore people who recommend KE minimums, that is Fuddish.

Reactions: Zac

Maxhunter

WKR
I’m a 27” draw and shoot a 410 grain arrow at 65lbs from an RX8. My speed is 269fps with my RX8. Your speed sounds about right imo. Remember speed doesn’t kill the animal accuracy and arrow placement is key imo.

OP
S
I should have phrased my question differently...what draw length is your bow set to? There should be letters inscribed on the modules, which correlate to draw length per the chart below.
View attachment 728729

Module position is G. So looks like a 27’ draw length. And I feel awful silly that I didn’t know about this setting until I was today years old

fatlander

WKR
That’s about right. I don’t think any manufacturer has made a bow that hit its ibo speed since the early 2010s.

296 is what I got in my calculator figuring 12 grains on the string, 385 grain arrow, 70#, 27”, and 342 ibo.

10 fps slow is about spot on for any bow made post 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Module position is G. So looks like a 27’ draw length. And I feel awful silly that I didn’t know about this setting until I was today years old
Your observed speed is pretty close to what I would expect. Plugging 27" DL, 70# DW, 342 fps IBO, 385 gr arrow weight into my speed calculator predicts 283 fps assuming 15 fps loss per inch of draw length reduction. 10 fps per inch is the commonly used rule of thumb to adjust for DL, but Hoyts seem to lose speed at a greater rate than most other bows as you reduce DL. You still have plenty of energy to work with, but since you're concerned about it, you might have your shop verify DW on a scale. Maxed out limb bolts don't guarantee that you're reaching advertised peak DW. If it measures low, add twists to the cables to shorten them slightly, which will increase DW.

OP
S
Thank you all, especially Mighty Mouse who taught me me something about my bow I should have known.

I also learned I may have unnecessarily added a stabilizer extending out from the grip as apparently the little stubby thing on the low part of the bow is a factory provided stabilizer.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
Tooth of the arrow 4-blade vented XL, 100 grains.
That will most likely work. However I would use a cut on contact 2 blade with your specs. If your spine will handle it then I would also go to a 125 to at least get you to 400ish grains.

OP
S
One more little (maybe not so little) proviso… I have had this bow about three years and have shot it quite a bit for a couple hunt work ups.

It has the original factory strings. There is some fraying on the main string above and below the peep but I didn’t think too much of it and added some wax.

Maybe it’s time to restring?

Zac

WKR
One more little (maybe not so little) proviso… I have had this bow about three years and have shot it quite a bit for a couple hunt work ups.

It has the original factory strings. There is some fraying on the main string above and below the peep but I didn’t think too much of it and added some wax.

Maybe it’s time to restring?
sure