son going to Boise state

The best college you can go to is the one that pays for you to come there.

Love this website. For binoculars: buy the best you can afford, buy once, cry once, blah blah.

For college: Meh, find the cheapest one it’ll be fine.

Love this website. For binoculars: buy the best you can afford, buy once, cry once, blah blah.

For college: Meh, find the cheapest one it’ll be fine.

I love the fact that people take one sentence out of 10, out of context, that they disagree with and act like it’s the only thing people say.

I literally go on to say, twice, to look at programs and pick the one that aligns best with what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That depends on your definition of what great graduates means? State Universities are good for some careers, for instance nursing, where there aren't many Universities that offer it. Engineering is generally good at state colleges, it's real theoretical at Universities. Myself, I got a Bachelor's of Science in Geology and Civil Engineering at SDSU and a Master's in Civil Engineering at SDSU. I did pretty well, but I thought the school was kind of a joke. I think I could have done better. There are MUCH, MUCH better institutions of learning than State Public colleges. Cheers Bill
I'm not saying there aren't great non- public schools, but unless you're writing the damn check to pay for the tuition then you have to realize that a lot of families either can't, or don't want, to pay for a degree from a private school so their kid can then go join a commune to "discover themselves". Lots more of that happening with private school types than there are from the blue collar side.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm not saying there aren't great non- public schools, but unless you're writing the damn check to pay for the tuition then you have to realize that a lot of families either can't, or don't want, to pay for a degree from a private school so their kid can then go join a commune to "discover themselves". Lots more of that happening with private school types than there are from the blue collar side.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Most private schools have financial aid. All private schools aren't all good and all public schools all bad. However, the very best universities are private. There are lots of private schools that are academically mediocre. Not all families send their kids to college for a great education. To some religion, sports, class size or location are much more important than academics. The best private schools are real liberal, but so are most schools. I think most parents are very selfish. Most of the people I'm friends with and know at work are kinda cheap skates when it comes to their kids education. I'm extremely different, because I grew up having everything I could ask for and then it was taken away overnight and I worked my way through college tooth and nail completely on my own. I want my kids to have a better life than me, and a better education. I've told them, wherever you can get in and it's a legitimate degree with a career in something they won't hate with a salary they can live with, then I'll write the checks, whatever it costs. I'll take what's leftover if anything to supplement my pension. Above all else I don't want them to fail in school and flunk out or get completely stressed out nervous wrecks. More important to me than a great education is that my kids are healthy, happy and have satisfying lives.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the fact that people take one sentence out of 10, out of context, that they disagree with and act like it’s the only thing people say.

I literally go on to say, twice, to look at programs and pick the one that aligns best with what you want.

That's fantastic advice!!! That's the theme of what your saying.

Last edited:
BSU is not that bad of school.....Steve Appleton went there and did pretty good for himself until his last plane crash. Him and micron put a lot of money back into BSU.
Thats all I know...hell I barely graduated the 2nd grade.

BSU is a great place to go to school. Strong business program to consider. I graduated from there and did well. I had all the opportunities I could want in the graduate schools I was considering in my field. My wife's uncle graduated from BSU and then went to Harvard Business School. He and both recommend as cheap as you can go for an undergrad school and maybe think about prestige with your graduate school. Some majors don't require advanced degrees so maybe consider that a bit.

Boise is just a fun place to go to college. Lots going on in town and outdoors nearby. It's a couple hours drive to most areas worth hunting but he can plan time for that in college. I definitely did. Maybe dad could come up and take him on a hunting trip for a few days. Op, feel free to PM if you're interested in doing this and I could let you know of some options if needed.

Send him to Army ROTC and see if he gets a scholarship. If he does, he won’t have to pay for tuition.

They may even offer to pay for (some) housing.

After he completes his minimum commitment, he will then start earning his Post-9/11 GI Bill (takes 3 years after the minimum commitment to earn 100% of it) which he can use for other education (ex. post grad) or he can transfer to a dependent.

I’m lucky enough to be in that position thanks to the Navy, and do recommend it.

I actually got more financial aid from a small out of state private school than I did from my in state private and public schools. It ended up being less expensive and I played 4 years of baseball instead of sitting the bench for a couple years.

Sadly I knew I wasnt going pro so this worked out for me.

Visit the school research the program he will start in. If he loves it great.

Just make sure it is his decision and dont worry about others opinions.

I actually got more financial aid from a small out of state private school than I did from my in state private and public schools. It ended up being less expensive and I played 4 years of baseball instead of sitting the bench for a couple years.

Sadly I knew I wasnt going pro so this worked out for me.

Visit the school research the program he will start in. If he loves it great.

Just make sure it is his decision and dont worry about others opinions.

Haha, even if you went pro chances of making any decent money are slim.

tyeager2964;1091335 Just make sure it is his decision and dont worry about others opinions.[/QUOTE said:
Yah we are providing guidance ... and funding the of course but kind of letting him run the decision process. I do look forward to visiting himfornthe entire month of September :) if he goes to boise

It is if you use it as a stepping stone to the majors. Gotta have a back up plan.

Buddy of mine, his son was drafted out of high school, turned it down, went to college on a full ride, was drafted again with a $100k sign on bonus his junior year, played in the minors for 2 years and had his final year of college paid for. It is a great stepping stone that if handled properly can get a kid ahead.

Funny also that my buddies son played for the Idaho Falls Chukars, kind of fits this thread.

Buddy of mine, his son was drafted out of high school, turned it down, went to college on a full ride, was drafted again with a $100k sign on bonus his junior year, played in the minors for 2 years and had his final year of college paid for. It is a great stepping stone that if handled properly can get a kid ahead.

Funny also that my buddies son played for the Idaho Falls Chukars, kind of fits this thread.
My friend got a baseball scholarship for SDSU. Never made it far because he couldn't throw faster than 90 mph. He got an Electrical Engineering job and has done pretty good.

Back