son going to Boise state

Ok this may be a strange post but it is looking very much like my son is going to be attending Boise state. He will be a freshman there next year and will be moving there without knowing anyone else. thought I may as well start searching for potential housing/roommate situations. he is a damn good hunter and fisherman, extremely ethical and law abiding. Doesnt party (yet, I am sure that will change somewhat) and just a good kid. He doesnt really want to do the dorm thing, although it might be a requirement...need to check that out.. Any other rokslider kids (ok young adults) going to boise state? Maybe there are some parents on here in the same boat. We are headed out there in a couple weeks for a baseball camp and to spend a few days looking at the city. We were there last year for the same camp but really didnt get to see much. Are there any places we absolutely have to check out?

Aside from that I am sure there are some boise state grads on here. What did you think of the school and the experience?

As much as I dislike BSU (go Vandals!), Boise is a great city and he will probably have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Billinsd

WKR
Ok this may be a strange post but it is looking very much like my son is going to be attending Boise state. He will be a freshman there next year and will be moving there without knowing anyone else. thought I may as well start searching for potential housing/roommate situations. he is a damn good hunter and fisherman, extremely ethical and law abiding. Doesnt party (yet, I am sure that will change somewhat) and just a good kid. He doesnt really want to do the dorm thing, although it might be a requirement...need to check that out.. Any other rokslider kids (ok young adults) going to boise state? Maybe there are some parents on here in the same boat. We are headed out there in a couple weeks for a baseball camp and to spend a few days looking at the city. We were there last year for the same camp but really didnt get to see much. Are there any places we absolutely have to check out?

Aside from that I am sure there are some boise state grads on here. What did you think of the school and the experience?
My friend's son is attending Boise State. It's his first year. My cousin's daughter got accepted there and is considering going there. My friend's son lives in a dorm with a kid from Idaho that hunts. Boise sounds like a great small city to me from what my friend said. The college life sounds good, friendly students, atmosphere, especially for an outdoorsman. Unfortunately according to my research the academics are mediocre in my opinion, even for a public state school. My friend's son is smart, but very lazy, like his dad and I don't think had the grades to get into the better and closer SDSU, just a few miles away. You are in Chico, I'd bet Chico State is better academically. His son purposely avoided academically rigorous campuses. My friend loves to hunt and his son much prefers video games, even though he's tried hard to get him interested in hunting. I don't think he's taking advantage one bit of the outdoors, either dad or son. I think it's a fantastic place for an avid hunter student, not real concerned about quality of education. Or a great place for a dad to visit and make some hunting trips. I got a high school daughter and I'd strongly discourage her from any public state schools, because she is very driven academically and would be wasting her time. There is some Western State discount on tuition, so out of state tuition is cheap. Bill

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
Go Vandals!

I’m of little assistance, other than recommending taking a look at Moscow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
My brother did his Masters at BSU and still lives in Boise. He likes that town and I cant figure out why. To big for my liking.

My only advice is when he gets his Idaho residency, have him buy his lifetime license. It is good no matter where he moves later in life and will save him 160+ every year just applying for Idaho.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My friend's son is attending Boise State. It's his first year. My cousin's daughter got accepted there and is considering going there. My friend's son lives in a dorm with a kid from Idaho that hunts. Boise sounds like a great small city to me from what my friend said. The college life sounds good, friendly students, atmosphere, especially for an outdoorsman. Unfortunately according to my research the academics are mediocre in my opinion, even for a public state school. My friend's son is smart, but very lazy, like his dad and I don't think had the grades to get into the better and closer SDSU, just a few miles away. You are in Chico, I'd bet Chico State is better academically. His son purposely avoided academically rigorous campuses. My friend loves to hunt and his son much prefers video games, even though he's tried hard to get him interested in hunting. I don't think he's taking advantage one bit of the outdoors, either dad or son. I think it's a fantastic place for an avid hunter student, not real concerned about quality of education. Or a great place for a dad to visit and make some hunting trips. I got a high school daughter and I'd strongly discourage her from any public state schools, because she is very driven academically and would be wasting her time. There is some Western State discount on tuition, so out of state tuition is cheap. Bill
Weird. Millions of great graduates from public state universities every year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So Boise State is a poor school because a lazy kid goes there? I went to a academically rigorous college and can assure you there were plenty of lazy folks there too.

cnelk

WKR
I let my kids pick their state universities. They did just fine.

Cut the cord man.

OP
Huntindog45
So Boise State is a poor school because a lazy kid goes there? I went to a academically rigorous college and can assure you there were plenty of lazy folks there too.
yah that one is a little out there. Boise state has a great academic reputation. chico has a reputation of partying alot....that is a flat out bizarre post.

- - - Updated - - -

I let my kids pick their state universities. They did just fine.

Cut the cord man.
Yah looking forward to seeing him venture out on his own. I think the state school will be great for him. If he gets to hunt and fish a little while he is there it will even be better. Hopefully he even gets to play baseball on their new team that will be playing next year for the first time.

I went to MSU bozeman and had a great time. State schools work just fine.

NV HUNTER

WKR
A C will get a degree!!! LOL . This coming from a guy who sent his daughter to private school her entire life!!!!

My daughter got a scholarship to play softball at university hilo hawaii (D2), got hurt and ended up hating Hawaii. Did Physical therapy and got a scholarship to play softball at Fort lewis college in Durango CO (D2). She loves it. She is getting an education degree (wants to be a special education teacher like her grandma). I was so hung up on school name , D1, etc etc.... now i just hope she has a great time, enjoys playing ball for 4 years, and graduates and me mom and her do not owe a dime for her education. Also she is close enough that i get to see 10 home games and we will fly to see about 15 away games!!!

sneaky

"DADDY"
You know what you call the person who finishes last in med school? Doctor. Lol

CorbLand

WKR
The best college you can go to is the one that pays for you to come there.

The only time I think have a good college name behind you is if you want to be the best in your profession. Going to a top rated business college if you want to be CEO of a top rated company but even that will be trumped by hard work.

I will add to have your son look at what he wants to major in and see if BSU has a strong program for that. I majored in Finance and Economics. The program where I attended is geared towards the investing side, stock market stuff. I wish I would have looked at other schools that would have been more towards the business investing, not stocks. Something to think about. All in all, I would have been smarter to get an accounting degree.

Not necessarily true. My wife and her brother are both mechanical engineers that grew up in the Chicagoland area. He got a full ride to go to NIU, she paid a lot of money to get a degree from Purdue University. She, and most Purdue engineers I know, have zero issue finding jobs or moving up, or getting paid pretty well. He struggled to get a job out of college and struggled even more to switch out of a dead end contracting job because he was competing with all the Big Ten grads that flood the market. My wife is much happier having paid for the degree from the better school. Every situation is different so you should factor that in.

It's also worth pointing out that Purdue is a state university :D

Billinsd

WKR
Weird. Millions of great graduates from public state universities every year.

That depends on your definition of what great graduates means? State Universities are good for some careers, for instance nursing, where there aren't many Universities that offer it. Engineering is generally good at state colleges, it's real theoretical at Universities. Myself, I got a Bachelor's of Science in Geology and Civil Engineering at SDSU and a Master's in Civil Engineering at SDSU. I did pretty well, but I thought the school was kind of a joke. I think I could have done better. There are MUCH, MUCH better institutions of learning than State Public colleges. Cheers Bill

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Not necessarily true. My wife and her brother are both mechanical engineers that grew up in the Chicagoland area. He got a full ride to go to NIU, she paid a lot of money to get a degree from Purdue University. She, and most Purdue engineers I know, have zero issue finding jobs or moving up, or getting paid pretty well. He struggled to get a job out of college and struggled even more to switch out of a dead end contracting job because he was competing with all the Big Ten grads that flood the market. My wife is much happier having paid for the degree from the better school. Every situation is different so you should factor that in.

That depends on your definition of what great graduates means? State Universities are good for some careers, for instance nursing, where there aren't many Universities that offer it. Myself, I got a Bachelor's of Science in Geology and Civil Engineering at SDSU and a Master's in Civil Engineering at SDSU. I did pretty well, but I thought the school was kind of a joke. I think I could have done better. There are MUCH, MUCH better institutions of learning than State Public colleges. Cheers Bill

Every school has programs they are strong in. If you know what you want to do, then targeting those schools is a smart move. In the end what I am saying is find a school that fits what you want to do. And for the average run of the mill person, a good state ran school will be sufficient.

Billinsd

WKR
Well, no that's not what I'm saying at all. I'd read again what I wrote. I said that he is going to the school because he is lazy and he believed the school was easy. I said the school was mediocre, not poor. Do you know how to use google or a dictionary to learn new words? What did you do at your "rigorous" college, how was it rigorous? Did you graduate? Yes, of course there can be lazy students at the most academically rigorous universities, however, it's rare. Here is my information about the school. It's not a horrible school at all, it's just very average. Access Denied
Access Denied

- - - Updated - - -

You know what you call the person who finishes last in med school? Doctor. Lol

Damn right!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Every school has programs they are strong in. If you know what you want to do, then targeting those schools is a smart move. In the end what I am saying is find a school that fits what you want to do. And for the average run of the mill person, a good state ran school will be sufficient.
Absolutely, that's what I did over 30 years ago. I moved to San Diego and to graduate from SDSU. It worked, but I think I could have done a lot more with a better education. Not everyone can or should got to a University, or college. I've been talking to my daughter about great private Universities and she said there is no way she wants to go to some Ivy school!!! I said great, that's good that you know what's out there and what you don't want. I want my kids to have opportunity and to do their best, that's all a father can ask....

OP
Huntindog45

The only time I think have a good college name behind you is if you want to be the best in your profession. Going to a top rated business college if you want to be CEO of a top rated company but even that will be trumped by hard work.

I will add to have your son look at what he wants to major in and see if BSU has a strong program for that. I majored in Finance and Economics. The program where I attended is geared towards the investing side, stock market stuff. I wish I would have looked at other schools that would have been more towards the business investing, not stocks. Something to think about. All in all, I would have been smarter to get an accounting degree.

yep, he wants to major in kinesiology and BSU has a strong program. one of the main reasons he applied there.

Billinsd

WKR

Purdue is an excellent University in my opinion. Ohio State is supposed to be a FANTASTIC State University. The folks that graduate from there, sure love the place. I'm right in there with my daughter in high school. I ultimately want her to go to the best school she can get into, to study what she wants to, to get a career she will hopefully enjoy, that will support a lifestyle that will help make her happy, whatever that will be. Schools do matter a lot, especially that first job. I know a Purdue grade, he owns his own chemical engineering company. He has an MS from Purdue in Chemical Engineering. Yes, every situation is different.

- - - Updated - - -

yep, he wants to major in kinesiology and BSU has a strong program. one of the main reasons he applied there.
That's great!!! I know I moved to San Diego, to attend SDSU to major in Geology, because SDSU had the best state geology program in California. It was and is a party school, but my geology education was excellent. My civil engineering education on the other hand was simply a joke, and I got a Master's Degree too. I did not have the money or the drive to move out of state or go somewhere else. It ended up working out ok. I sure would have rather gotten an engineering degree from The School of Mines, Texas A&M, or even Cal Luis Obispo......

jmcd22

WKR

BSU alum here. Personally, I hated Boise State but I was in the business program. Professors were mediocre at best and it was evident that they didn't care about teaching or the students. It was a part time gig for the most of them. Having said that, I look back and could have gone about things differently than I did but that was part of it for me. College isn't all about what you learn from a textbook. While Boise State isn't even the top school in the state, it is college nonetheless and you learn a lot from it. My wife also went to Boise State for undergraduate in kinesiology and went on to get a Master's from Hawaii. She thought she would love Hawaii and ended up disliking it. Each school has something better than the next one but also something that lacks. I will tell you that Boise is one of the fastest growing areas in the country and housing is at a premium. Find a place and do everything you can to get it if he decides this is where he wants to be. We have a property near Boise State and it is rented out for the next school year in April of the year before.

As far as hunting and fishing goes, there is a lot of it here but anything within a few hours of Boise is so crowded nowadays. If that is something that he values, he may take that into consideration.

I still live in the area and graduated in 2012 so if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck!