Spring Bears Trip for Son & I

Jdog

WKR
All - looking to plan a spring bear hunt out western USA—MT or Idaho. I’ve hunted and killed many bears when I was an AK resident years ago but I know the lower 48 black bears are a different game…

Hunt would primarily be to get my 12 yr old son a bear—I don’t have a huge desire to kill another.

Looking at a road system, nice wall tent camp hunt, possible bivy, OTC tags…something he can have a lot of fun camping as well as hunting. I know the Frank is out there—but not sure he could physically grind that hard in that terrain? He’s an athletic kid—swims, football, bball, etc...so it;s an option if anyone out there has done such with a kid and might want to share their experience…

I know timing is key on such hunts, snow melt, etc…

Any suggestions to point us to general areas of MT and/or ID would be appreciated and/or general thoughts on what I’m thinking…

PMs and/or replies to this thread are fine—I don’t get worked up too much over public land hunts But appreciate any input everyone has.

Thank you.

EdP

WKR
Guided or DIY? Are you (both of you) at least moderately competent on horseback?

Much of northern Idaho allows 2 tags per hunter at a special price. I think it was $42.50 each in 2019. The tags are OTC and unit specific compared with about $185 for a statewide tag. Good percentage of color phase bears too.

The outfitters are going to have baits out in addition to taking advantage of any spot and stalk opportunities. That makes chances of success high if you go with an outfitter but more challenging for DIY. A buddy and I went with an outfitter in 2019 and had a blast. He took a nice boar on day 1 and didn't hunt any more. I filled both my tags on the last day. The backcountry camp/hunt experience was a lot like what you would get from an elk hunt using pack stock at about 1/2 the cost. The outfitter also offered a non-pack stock hunt.

PM me if you would like info on the outfitter we used.

NW MT is good. Hunted hard all last season, granted a lot of weekdays, but I didn't see more than 2 other hunters the whole season and killed a nice bear.