Something GOOD due to COVID-19?

16Bore

WKR
Glass is also half full.

My kids (11 & 15) are out of school for 2 weeks. Um...OK. So far their “assignments from Dad”:

1. A family dinner planned, prepared, and served my them. “Clean kitchen to clean kitchen”. They’re pretty excited.

2. History lesson from their grandad.

3. Yardword.

4. Build a tree house.

5. Redecorate their rooms.

6. Start a garden.

In reality, as bad as this pandemic might/could be, this could be the beginning of something or end of a lot of something else. I feel pretty positive that “we’ll all get through this”. So when they are adults possibly they’ll have some good memories of 2020 and their free 2 week vacation.

What are you fellas thinking?

ewade07

WKR
heck yea, sounds like you got it figured out. sadly most kids will just e sitting at home playing video games or something of the sort. good on you for giving them all something to do.

if for some reason i cant go to work i hope to look back at this time as the year i went shed hunting for 2 weeks straight hahahahahaha

Rich M

WKR
You're right - it is the attitude you go into it with. Use the time wisely and do something productive - those are all things I remember form my youth.

Was thinking that with the video games it should be easy to keep em inside and away from folks - if sick.

If I get quarantined, will sleep in and do some yard work. Wife is working on the gardening already and I also have to clean garage. Could be a nice time to recharge and get a few things done. NOT going to see the grandchildren cause they often infect one of us with their various colds and now isn't the time for that.

I love your r response. Yes despite all the uncertainty, this is also a time for opportunities.

I work for an innercity school district. I am required to continue to work (no problem there, I have so much to do). But for education, it is a time of total confusion for many, educators, parents, students and employers, as everything is in flux.

netman

WKR
I seen on the news yesterday that since China has been quarantined and the factories have been shut down their emissions into the atmosphere was almost down to nothing. They showed two satellite photos of before and since. It was dramatic in comparison.
Not that I’m one of those kinda people but it was mind blowing.

Jbehredt

WKR
aec0a0b2145b9ceb4adb31391d1ea8be.jpg

860c4639cbc5623d33953b42bd885b57.jpg

How about having a normally very crowded section of Colorado River all to yourself! It was like the 90s again!

Trial153

WKR
I just commented to my wife about the number of positive examples of community that is taking place in our area. There is no shortage of help, resorces and financial assistance be offered.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Glass is also half full.

My kids (11 & 15) are out of school for 2 weeks. Um...OK. So far their “assignments from Dad”:

1. A family dinner planned, prepared, and served my them. “Clean kitchen to clean kitchen”. They’re pretty excited.

3. Yardword.

4. Build a tree house.

6. Start a garden.

In reality, as bad as this pandemic might/could be, this could be the beginning of something or end of a lot of something else. I feel pretty positive that “we’ll all get through this”. So when they are adults possibly they’ll have some good memories of 2020 and their free 2 week vacation.

Those are all great ideas.

I have 4 kids(4,6,8,10) and they're out for 6 weeks.

We've already let them know that they're gonna help with the garden(more than normal).

We're going to go camping on some private property we have access to(practicing social distancing)😉.

Finally on the tree house note, my grandmother(in-law) that I love dearly, gave my kids money at Christmas to go toward building a tree house. I've had 2 months of them asking when we'll start... I guess its time.

Glass is also half full.

3. Yardword.

4. Build a tree house.

6. Start a garden.

Great list - I was gonna hammer on the garden with the kids then go beat up on some kokanee but we got hammered with snow yesterday! Great day for them tho.

I’m thinking along the same lines as your list but also eyeballing an extended camping trip. Might also try to squeeze in a wolf hunt in the panhandle while tags are still cheap.

Also wouldn’t mind dialing in a few of my rifles at the range after musical chairs with my scopes.

3E5DD9E1-DCB0-4C9E-AFFB-78D4D128BB98.jpeg

I want to believe we will have much the same after-response to this as we did to 9-11. Staggered by the immensity of the event, then the American spirit resurfaces and we determinedly find our way forward. Every situation presents an opportunity.

I decided to revisit an old and almost-forgotten fishing spot. My friends of the past were still there and gave me a toothy welcome-back.

IMG_6097.JPG

OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
I seen on the news yesterday that since China has been quarantined and the factories have been shut down their emissions into the atmosphere was almost down to nothing. They showed two satellite photos of before and since. It was dramatic in comparison.
Not that I’m one of those kinda people but it was mind blowing.

Saw this as well. How many of those factories are making stupid shit nobody needs anyway? The Happy Meal Toy Factory wouldn’t be missed.

Even further, when you look at the overall picture, what’s being “shut down” here is entertainment. Amazing that we can live without professional sports. Instead of March Madness tickets, march your ass to the playground and make up your own tournament.

My 11 year olds Rec softball league was canceled. Talked to one of the other dads and we’re going to throw together some pick up games. No practice, no schedule, no bullshit. Just show up and play. Big kids, little kids, even the parents.

Kinda what “play” was supposed to be: Activity with no consequence other than the activity.

I think if you look hard enough there can be positives found in many things. Look how united we were as a country right after 9/11.
But I saw a post on Facebook from someone I know asking if anyone else could believe that something like a pandemic could be happening in the 21st century 🤦‍♂️. Made me realize how sheltered some people really are. Hopefully it will be a awake up call for many.

cnelk

WKR
Back when my kids were young, and old enough to stay home alone, Id give them a typical daily list of chores to do while I was at work.

Then I switched it up - I left a blank piece of paper on the counter and told them to write down the list of things they accomplished during the day - minimum of 5.

Man, they figured out all kinds of good stuff to do everyday

Clarence

WKR
Thanks for this post 16bore. It's a odd time we are in. I watched a little news this morning, and saw panic and disorganization, while at home, my family is as chill as I've seen in a long time. There has been a peace for us in stepping back, and not having any pressures of thinking what is on the calendar for today. Saturday morning I sat down and made lists of chores for the kids to do each day, and some fun projects as well. Screen time was discussed and limitations were set. Our church is pretty conservative in many ways, and we just watched it's first online service in it's 300 year history. My wife is a educator, and used to being very busy. She is very task oriented. Staying home for 2 weeks will probably take the biggest toll in our family on her. Something I will need to be aware of. At it's best this can be used as a opportunity to take personal inventory, and appreciate all we have.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
We're not quarantined or anything but I'm trying to make the most of this opportunity to teach my young kids a little self sufficiency. We're baking bread and going after some ice off lake trout this afternoon, make lemonade out of lemons kinda thing.

Rob5589

WKR
Mine, 9 & 14, are out for a min of two weeks. My 14 yo told us she was bored, last night, less than 36 hrs after the school closed. Gonna be a long few weeks...

OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
Youngstest building a shadow box for her room. Some little POS thingy we bought at Goodwill for $4, left over scraps of T&G.

She learned more math before breakfast than most kids do all year. Grand finale will be letting her use the nail gun, which she’s peeing her pants to get ahold of.

9BC49C9E-0836-45FE-B28D-EB4EE3C02A45.jpegF9602F8C-F27F-4F97-808B-E8CFFB3B37B2.jpegA57678BC-7228-4B47-8305-12AEADDEEF8B.jpeg