Some states get it……

Beendare

WKR
…and some don’t.

in California the anti-hunters initiated a Ballot proposal shutting down the hunting of mountain lions over 30 years ago. Fast forward to today. We have one of the worst deer herds in America.

Utah is proposing that the hunting of Mountain lions is 365 days a year….no tag fee. They know how important their deer and elk herd are to the economy And the citizens.

They get it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Reward programs for beloved predators trigger lawsuits. Plain and simple. That's why Idaho and Montana have reimbursement programs for wolves. You have to provide receipts to be reimbursed for expenses incurred. Won't matter in the future, they're going to see to it that predators get relisted and we'll lose our right to pursue them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FYI: Another one of California’s laws/rules below…​

California Mountain Lion Specimen Possession Permit Requirements​

Applications for a permit to possess a mountain lion specimen shall be in the form of a written letter addressed to:
CDFW Wildlife Health Lab
1701 Nimbus Road, Suite D
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
The application letter must contain the following information:
  1. Full name of the person requesting a permit. If an entity is requesting a permit, the request shall be made on official letterhead with an original signature.
  2. Physical address where mountain lion carcass or part or product thereof shall be located.
  3. Description of mountain lion carcass or part or product thereof, subject to the permit.
  4. Description of how the mountain lion carcass, or part or product thereof shall be uniquely identified by the applicant.
  5. Description of how the mountain lion carcass or part or product thereof shall be used and the anticipated length of time for use.

Unique Identification​

Any person in possession of a permit to possess a mountain lion carcass, part or product thereof pursuant to this section shall uniquely identify such mountain lion carcass or part or product thereof. Unique identification methods include, but are not limited to, permanent marking, tattooing, microchipping, detailed photographs, descriptive measurements, or another suitable method approved in advance by the department.

Change of Address or Name​

The permittee shall notify the department in writing of any change of address or name related to the permit within thirty days of the change.

Disposition​

Any permittee no longer desiring to possess a mountain lion carcass or part or product thereof shall transfer such carcass or part or product thereof to the department.

def90

WKR
I’m not a fan of California’s management style at all yet at the same time Utah’s sounds equally absurd in the opposite direction. There are plenty of states that have sound lion and bear seasons and management practices that are somewhere in the middle of those two.

mcr-85

WKR
Under this new law, if the governor signs it, it will be legal to trap mountain lions in Utah. I am looking forward to that. I've had a few get into traps but haven't held one yet. I will get bigger stronger traps if I can legally trap lions and I will target them.

I snared one a few years back in a coyote snare. I had a tag that year and tried convincing the DWR into letting me cut my tag and keep the lion. Ultimately they took it and it went to the landfill. They'd rather throw it away than let me keep it. I understand it was not a legal method of take but I thought maybe they'd make an exception but they didn't. The officer I reported the catch to was awesome though. He asked for pics of the lion as it lay from multiple angles. He did let me take it home to show my boys, which I thought was cool.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
“Utah gets it”. Yeah right. Maybe on this specific issue only. The sum total level of competence doesn’t pass the “they get it” threshold.

Ludo

FNG
…and some don’t.

in California the anti-hunters initiated a Ballot proposal shutting down the hunting of mountain lions over 30 years ago. Fast forward to today. We have one of the worst deer herds in America.

Utah is proposing that the hunting of Mountain lions is 365 days a year….no tag fee. They know how important their deer and elk herd are to the economy And the citizens.

They get
…and some don’t.

They get it.
Reason #126,984 why I can’t wait to leave this state. High on that list of reasons is not being able to own a silencer on a rifle. 2 more years and we’re headed east!

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
You guys should try living in upstate NY. lol. Although they seems to be starting to realize how important the steelhead populations are to the area and economy by lowering limits. Atlantic salmon are a rarity and should be strictly catch and release. But... there isnt a huge amount of money on the line like the king salmon fishery.

I guess every states regulations are typically 95% about money and 5% the well being of the actual species.

Taudisio

WKR
Not trying to be confrontational here, but as a resident I am doubtful. Where did you find this fact?
As a past resident, I think if you consider the blacktails and blacktail hybrids as mule deer. I’d say it’s probably true. As far as full blooded, Rocky Mountain mule deer. No way. I do remember a book had the largest bodied mule deer ever killed was in NE CA

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to be confrontational here, but as a resident I am doubtful. Where did you find this fact?
Not confrontational to ask reasonable questions. The members of the Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies (WAFWA) provided the data to the Mule Deer Working Group. You can find their work on wafwa.org.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
As a past resident, I think if you consider the blacktails and blacktail hybrids as mule deer. I’d say it’s probably true. As far as full blooded, Rocky Mountain mule deer. No way. I do remember a book had the largest bodied mule deer ever killed was in NE CA
Black-tail deer are a subspecies of mule deer. I would bet they include black-tails and hybrids under their estimates of mule deer.

Rechecked the survey estimate and it explicitly states they do include black-tail deer in the mule deer population estimate.

I snared one a few years back in a coyote snare. I had a tag that year and tried convincing the DWR into letting me cut my tag and keep the lion. Ultimately they took it and it went to the landfill. They'd rather throw it away than let me keep it. I understand it was not a legal method of take but I thought maybe they'd make an exception but they didn't. The officer I reported the catch to was awesome though. He asked for pics of the lion as it lay from multiple angles. He did let me take it home to show my boys, which I thought was cool.
I used to be one of the lion guys in ND. We would get a half dozen incidental lion snare catches a year. The trapping community is pretty tight knit so once one person keeps an incidental, it's almost certain that word would travel fast and "incidental" catches would rapidly increase. Just an unfortunate reality. We would put up all our incidentals, sell them at auction, and all the money would go to the fur/trapper education program. Hopefully other states have a similar program in place.

I also spent a couple years trapping lions for collars and I hope you get to experience a lion tightening a chain in your direction! It's pretty wild. I guess at least you could shoot from a distance, we had to get within a few yards for a good dart shot.

Taudisio

WKR
Black-tail deer are a subspecies of mule deer. I would bet they include black-tails and hybrids under their estimates of mule deer.

Rechecked the survey estimate and it explicitly states they do include black-tail deer in the mule deer population estimate.
Nothing against you, but I disagree with them lumping them in as mule deer. They act different. Especially the jungle deer on the coast. I think of it as comparing a northern whitetail to a coues deer. But these are just my own thoughts typed out to the masses!

mcr-85

WKR
I used to be one of the lion guys in ND. We would get a half dozen incidental lion snare catches a year. The trapping community is pretty tight knit so once one person keeps an incidental, it's almost certain that word would travel fast and "incidental" catches would rapidly increase. Just an unfortunate reality. We would put up all our incidentals, sell them at auction, and all the money would go to the fur/trapper education program. Hopefully other states have a similar program in place.

I also spent a couple years trapping lions for collars and I hope you get to experience a lion tightening a chain in your direction! It's pretty wild. I guess at least you could shoot from a distance, we had to get within a few yards for a good dart shot.
I have pinched a few but they've either pulled out or pulled my trap apart. I had one pop the jaws on a Bridger #3 modified. The only mod that trap was lacking was bubbled jaw tips. Pretty sure I'd have stuck that one if the jaw tips were bubbled.