Spot and stalk mountain lion

I am looking for an opportunity to spot and stalk a mountain lion at some point in my life. I don't want to use dogs, so I realize the low odds of this happening. I think that the best way to get such an opportunity is to maybe get lucky during elk or deer season, or bear season for that matter.

So my question is, where do you guys suppose one could have the best odds of seeing a lion, in a state that allows it, obviously. Are there any deer or elk units that you guys may know of with high lion populations? Have you seen lions while hunting? I live in California and the only time I've ever seen one is at night while driving. I was thinking that Nevada may be a good option, being that the desert makes for good glassing opportunities. 🤷‍♂️

All ideas welcome!

I caught one in my spotter/ phone skope while mule deer hunting in 2019, got some video then tried to break the distance and after the 2nd place I moved to it was gone, then the daylight was about gone and had to get going to catch a boat.

I think one thing that helped was being away from the trail head, more open country than timbered and thick as well as the prey were plentiful and easier to ambush in the creek bottom and trail below where I seen the cat.

A lot of luck, but get in their terrain and you can even call them in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230215-173346_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230215-173346_Gallery.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20230215-173311_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230215-173311_Gallery.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 89

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
You can't bring any part of a lion back in to Caljakastain legally, so what do you plan to do with one?

You can't bring any part of a lion back in to Caljakastain legally, so what do you plan to do with one?
He's right, that's the law and several guys have notified the GWs of their plan to enter the state at a specific place & time should they wish to issue a citation. These are people who want to challenge the law because it is completely invalid. It does nothing to protect the California lion population (that is much too big-I've seen 6 lions here) and it violates several federal laws governing interstate trade. To bring a legally taken animal killed in another state into California is a violation but none of those who have done it were prosecuted because the state knows it cannot win a court challenge. So they don't enforce it for that reason. Risky? No doubt but there are likely several organizations willing to provide free legal counsel to challenge this dumb shit.

That said, your best shot at a lion w/o calling or hounds is to find a fresh kill and sit on it. That means making friends with ranch owners, providing free ADC services and creating a network of people who will let you know of a fresh kill. Cattle ranchers in AZ are your best shot.

I’ve seen plenty of tracks around Utah, but i’ve never actually seen one. The last two years theirs been 2 charges caught on video and one lady was bitten in SLC this year. All 3 were on popular hiking trails.

-WARDOG-

FNG
Come to central and northern Idaho. Damn cats are everywhere but they are wiley.
It will be difficult to plan a trip specifically to find a cat without using hounds.
I don't use hounds and I generally get one a year. The cats prefer to hunt at night but I do see them stalking deer in the daytime occasionally.
I set up watching deer at 300 - 400 yards. You can watch the deer and they will key in on the cat if they smell it. The deers reaction will also give you an indication on the direction of the cat. That is the area to watch intently for the next hour. Cats don't offer shots out in the open very often and you have to be Johnny-on-the-spot and be prepared to shoot with less than a second notice. When cats are moving, they are moving with a purpose and can cover a lot of ground very quickly.
If you lived in the area where you want to hunt them, the lack of daily habits by deer will tell you if a cat is in the area. Deer will vacate a certain area for a few days if a cat is prowling around, and the deer will do what I call, "Circle the Wagons" and basically camp out in the wide open just feet from my porch for safety.

OP
type2bowhunter
Come to central and northern Idaho. Damn cats are everywhere but they are wiley.
It will be difficult to plan a trip specifically to find a cat without using hounds.
I don't use hounds and I generally get one a year. The cats prefer to hunt at night but I do see them stalking deer in the daytime occasionally.
I set up watching deer at 300 - 400 yards. You can watch the deer and they will key in on the cat if they smell it. The deers reaction will also give you an indication on the direction of the cat. That is the area to watch intently for the next hour. Cats don't offer shots out in the open very often and you have to be Johnny-on-the-spot and be prepared to shoot with less than a second notice. When cats are moving, they are moving with a purpose and can cover a lot of ground very quickly.
If you lived in the area where you want to hunt them, the lack of daily habits by deer will tell you if a cat is in the area. Deer will vacate a certain area for a few days if a cat is prowling around, and the deer will do what I call, "Circle the Wagons" and basically camp out in the wide open just feet from my porch for safety.
That's great info thank you.

OP
type2bowhunter
He's right, that's the law and several guys have notified the GWs of their plan to enter the state at a specific place & time should they wish to issue a citation. These are people who want to challenge the law because it is completely invalid. It does nothing to protect the California lion population (that is much too big-I've seen 6 lions here) and it violates several federal laws governing interstate trade. To bring a legally taken animal killed in another state into California is a violation but none of those who have done it were prosecuted because the state knows it cannot win a court challenge. So they don't enforce it for that reason. Risky? No doubt but there are likely several organizations willing to provide free legal counsel to challenge this dumb shit.

That said, your best shot at a lion w/o calling or hounds is to find a fresh kill and sit on it. That means making friends with ranch owners, providing free ADC services and creating a network of people who will let you know of a fresh kill. Cattle ranchers in AZ are your best shot.
I already have a habit of ignoring the edicts of California bureaucrats, why stop now.

Fatcamp

WKR
The folks I have talked to that have killed them in the Black Hills cut tracks in the snow just like the hound guys, and then follow them up. Once they feel they are close, don't ask me how, they run a predator call.

Time, patience, and quality setups. Think those are the keys to making it work. I seem to remember dude telling me they run a bird in distress call, trying to get them curious with a more subtle approach.

What about southern Arizona?!?
People see them all the time while couse hunting. Maybe do a combo couse/cat hunt.
Unsure who those people are, but "all the time" is not the norm based upon my personal experience.

Each year I spend about 2 weeks hunting Coues in AZ (one week for me and another week helping friends) and another 2 weeks hunting Coues in Mexico. While glassing from dawn to dusk for 20-25 days, if I glass up a single mountain lion I am doing pretty damn good. Then throw in lots of weekends for black bear throughout the year, the occasional helping others on mule deer and/or elk, and I may see another 1-2 lions. No issues finding sign.

While I do not know if the numbers were true, it went something like this: 90% of all mountain lions harvested are with hounds, 9% are incidental while hunting another species, and 1% are specifically hunting lions without hounds.

If killing mountain lions was as easy as the internet pimps claim it is, the seasons would be short and everyone and their mother would have one on their wall.

KHNC

WKR
Unsure who those people are, but "all the time" is not the norm based upon my personal experience.

Each year I spend about 2 weeks hunting Coues in AZ (one week for me and another week helping friends) and another 2 weeks hunting Coues in Mexico. While glassing from dawn to dusk for 20-25 days, if I glass up a single mountain lion I am doing pretty damn good. Then throw in lots of weekends for black bear throughout the year, the occasional helping others on mule deer and/or elk, and I may see another 1-2 lions. No issues finding sign.

While I do not know if the numbers were true, it went something like this: 90% of all mountain lions harvested are with hounds, 9% are incidental while hunting another species, and 1% are specifically hunting lions without hounds.

If killing mountain lions was as easy as the internet pimps claim it is, the seasons would be short and everyone and their mother would have one on their wall.
AZ dry ground lion hunt was hardest hunt, BY FAR, I have ever been a part of.

Spot and stalk and animal that's constantly on the move, moves quickly, has insane senses, and are like ghosts to begin with? Sounds like great exercise and terrible hunting.

OP
type2bowhunter
Spot and stalk and animal that's constantly on the move, moves quickly, has insane senses, and are like ghosts to begin with? Sounds like great exercise and terrible hunting.
As stated in the original post, I am aware of the low odds and the luck needed to get this done. I am just looking for insight on behavior and/or high lion density areas.

When cats are moving, they are moving with a purpose and can cover a lot of ground very quickly.
I've only seen a few cats in the wild, but this is definitely what I've seen too. They don't stick around and browse like deer or elk, they just cruise through at a steady pace. Pretty hard to make much of a stalk after you spot one, I'd think you pretty much have to be in position to shoot already.

I've only seen a few cats in the wild, but this is definitely what I've seen too. They don't stick around and browse like deer or elk, they just cruise through at a steady pace. Pretty hard to make much of a stalk after you spot one, I'd think you pretty much have to be in position to shoot already.
When they are moving, they are doing so with purpose. It is impressive how much ground they can cover in a short time. But if you can catch them grooming themselves, it can give you a few extra moments. Just have to watch your movement.

Best method to get a shot opportunity is to not have a tag on you.

They are a white whale for me. I know going out (spot and stalk) is super low odds but I have fun anyways as you never know what you will see. And there's always a chance.

OP
type2bowhunter
When they are moving, they are doing so with purpose. It is impressive how much ground they can cover in a short time. But if you can catch them grooming themselves, it can give you a few extra moments. Just have to watch your movement.

Best method to get a shot opportunity is to not have a tag on you.

They are a white whale for me. I know going out (spot and stalk) is super low odds but I have fun anyways as you never know what you will see. And there's always a chance.
Yeah man that's my thought as well. It never happens until, until it does. And I hunt mule deer in SoCal so I'm used to chasing ghosts.