Solo hunting anxiety

IDVortex

WKR
I had a couple missions in younger life, a solo ram and a solo goat, just to prove to myself I could. The first couple 2-3 day hunts were tough, before inreach time.

Soon as I got a pack dog though, it was off to the hills with no second thoughts.

We managed to get a solo ram, my dog and I, but a big billy eluded us though we’ve passed on a few.

Now with a young kid and my one of a kind pack dog retired, Iv retired from solo trips. The anxiety defiantly would hit hard if I was to do it now alone knowing I have responsibility at home.

For anyone who is a first timer, I highly suggest a pack dog if allowed.
What breed of dog did/do you have?

Decker9

WKR
What breed of dog did/do you have?

She’s a bit of a 57. Definite Shepard / catahoula and a little husky/rotty/lab all mixed in I was told.

My new member is almost 4, she’s about half the size I expected her to be, suppose to be lab/husky/rotty, but I don’t really see it. I think she had mostly small lab in her maybe.

She’s turning out to be a great pack partner too, this year will be her first fly in.

IMG_8723.jpeg

Dking

FNG
I've spent most of my adult life solo hunting. I find myself being more focused and very successful at filling tags when I'm solo. I've ran into mountain lions, black bears, and weirdos a few times here and there. Walked through the woods alone in the dark many times. Drove hours alone to hunt units in other states I have never stepped foot in.

But for whatever reason I've been having this unexplainable feeling of dread this year that something is going to happen. I just can't explain it. Usually I'm full of the excitement and anticipation of the adventure of it. I start thinking about predators, possibilities of getting hurt and not making it out. Maybe I'm just getting older sick of doing it alone, worried about my family. I just can't explain it. Does anyone else experience this??
I haven’t felt that way before. But if it I did, I wouldn’t ignore it. Good luck figuring it out.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Love solo hunting. Even tho I'm getting older and have had a few medical issues I still go. I am not concerned about what might happen. Gotta go some time and I'd rather it be with my boots on. That's just me.

Now if I get a premonition something is wrong I listen to my gut. Sometimes the body appears to feel something the mind may not. Never hurts to take precautions even if it may result in a canceled hunt.

I had a Harley that I enjoyed riding. I got married and then I suddenly started feeling selfish and not enjoying it as much due to worrying.

Same thing has happened to me as well with solo hunting being married and having two sons under the age of 8. I've worried and been nervous more every time.

It's not a bad thing to be prepared and weigh risk/reward with tasks and scenarios. I have a solo hunt planned this year and I did one last year. I just try to be more prepared, carry an InReach and set my wife's mind at ease. There's inherent risk in driving to work or driving to the grocery store, you just don't think about it.