Solar Panels vs. Battery Pack - 8 Day Hunt

I'm headed out to Colorado this September and have decided to use my iPhone with the OnX Maps software rather than haul a handheld GPS with me. We are going to hunt for 8 days. Obviously the goal is to not hike out unless we are packing meat.

Would you use a solar panel/charger kit..i.e. Goal Zero or would you just take a NewTrent or Dark Energy external battery charger. I'm torn so any experience you have is greatly appreciated.

PJG

WKR
I can't comment on the solar vs battery pack, as I chose battery pack and have never tried solar. With that said I have been extremely disappointed with the Dark Energy. The Anker ones I have are far better than the Dark Energy. The Anker will hold a charge whereas the Dark Energy that I have will not.

I never commented back on the thread I started last week on the same topic, but I have been looking at pairing one of the Suntactics solar panels with an external battery. Has anybody used this set-up before?

Well, going with a third option, as long as it isn't too much weight...I have always thought that getting a solar panel that charged a battery pack was the way to go. You recharge your device from the battery pack, go on your merry way, and let the solar panel recharge the battery pack while you are gone.

OP
S
Well, going with a third option, as long as it isn't too much weight...I have always thought that getting a solar panel that charged a battery pack was the way to go. You recharge your device from the battery pack, go on your merry way, and let the solar panel recharge the battery pack while you are gone.

It might be too much weight. Some of the solar panels I have seen are 3lbs and the smaller ones that are 1.5lbs get poor reviews. I am thinking I might pack in a good battery pack and leave another fully charged in the truck, or have a buddy pack the solar panels in.

I took an Anker 26,800 mah battery with me last year for my planned 7-10 days. I had a couple of smaller and cheaper units left behind in the truck if I needed them. The Anker charged my iPhone a few times during my week long trip. Plan to do the same thing this Sept. No solar charging need for me.

molon labe, mrbill

tttoadman

WKR
I have a goal zero nomad 7 panel with the Flip10 battery pack. I listen to music on my phone at night. I find the guide 10 battery pack to be lacking. Taking the flip eliminates all cords. When it dies I will likely go with a bigger battery pack and leave the solar behind.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I took an Anker 26,800 mah battery with me last year for my planned 7-10 days. I had a couple of smaller and cheaper units left behind in the truck if I needed them. The Anker charged my iPhone a few times during my week long trip. Plan to do the same thing this Sept. No solar charging need for me.

molon labe, mrbill

I did the same as Bill and used a battery backup. I've used the solar in past. It's fine if you remember to leave it out to recharge.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I liked my solar panel last year. It's a little heavier than a battery unit but unless you're socked in with rain or snow, the juice in unlimited if you're electronics heavy.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I asked a similar question on another forum and the majority vote was skip the solar charger. I phones charge slow and even with good high altitude sun it takes a long time to charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

pierceje

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a Goal Zero solar charger the last two years in Colorado during September and have had zero trouble. Never have I thought, "I sure wish this would charge my phone faster". It will go with me this year to charge my phone and my inReach.

bobhunts

WKR
Bought the same one as Dameon at the ISE show this year after running into a couple of archery elk hunters charging there phone on one of these and they really liked them. They where doing the dirty work while there phones charged after taking all the pics and calling home. Hope it works as well for me. Very light. Used it at work one day on the dashboard of my truck and it was okay. Mostly because the truck is never in the sun all of the time otherwise I think they work well.

oldgoat

WKR
Bought the same one as Dameon at the ISE show this year after running into a couple of archery elk hunters charging there phone on one of these and they really liked them. They where doing the dirty work while there phones charged after taking all the pics and calling home. Hope it works as well for me. Very light. Used it at work one day on the dashboard of my truck and it was okay. Mostly because the truck is never in the sun all of the time otherwise I think they work well.
You should try discharging it completely and see how long it takes to recharge using solar only, because unless they have made more advancements than I'm aware of which is totally possible, I think it might take weeks to recharge with solar only! From what I gather, solar arrangements that size basically amount to little more than a trickle charge. Still a hell of a deal on a battery pack though. Sorry, not trying to be a buzz kill!

In my experience, I don't take a solar panel without a battery pack. Trying to charge a cell phone, iPad, whatever, directly from the the solar panel doesn't really work long term.

So, I clip the solar panel to my pack and charge the battery pack during the day and then use the battery pack to charge the phone or whatever.

12768329_160514097666569_6176668590609762119_o.jpg

12792256_163543517363627_3034924705925686309_o.jpg

12764506_158731841178128_7650097627652295023_o.jpg

12829283_176139509437361_439592927675823529_o.jpg

Last edited: