So the person survived a Grizzly bear attack by killing the bear, but the rest of us should do it differently. Makes sense, right?

505Wapiti

WKR
I'd love to see video of an enraged charging grizzly being sprayed and the effectiveness. I think sometimes animals much like humans aren't wired right and if it wants to throttle you or eat you bad enough, I imagine it could plow through some pepper spray much like a methed out criminal unaffected by the taser.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Honestly bear spray has proven affective by hundreds of unlucky and/or idiot tourists

If you have it on you, and the grizzly is not literally already on top of you, why wouldn't you use the spray first?

ETA: not talking about the individual in the article, just an open question

Last edited:
Well, if the bear is charging and within 30 feet and you use the spray...and it dont work you wont have to worry about it any longer. At that pace, I will take my chances on a lethal shot from a short barrel SG or a .44 hardcast slug from a revolver or 10mm HC slug. Spray may work 90% of the time, but I dont want to risk being in the other 10%.

mntnguide

WKR
Honestly bear spray is proven affective by hundreds of unlucky and/or idiot tourists every year.

If you have it on you, and the grizzly is not literally already on top of you, why wouldn't you use the spray first?

ETA: not talking about the individual in the article, just an open question
I'm more interested where you are coming up with "hundreds" of people use it effectively it each year? That would be multiple encounters every day, all summer. Please do tell where your info comes from, cause i sure don't hear about more than a few all summer in western wyo each year.

I'll always prefer my gun over spray. I can shoot as a deterrent in early instances, along with protect myself in the case of a charge. I bring spray as well plenty of times, but my pistol is the 1st thing I'm reaching for when I have close encounters. If you have to use spray, and the wind happens to be ripping right in your face, how do you think that's gonna work?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm more interested where you are coming up with "hundreds" of people use it effectively it each year? That would be multiple encounters every day, all summer. Please do tell where your info comes from, cause i sure don't hear about more than a few all summer in western wyo each year.

I'll always prefer my gun over spray. I can shoot as a deterrent in early instances, along with protect myself in the case of a charge. I bring spray as well plenty of times, but my pistol is the 1st thing I'm reaching for when I have close encounters. If you have to use spray, and the wind happens to be ripping right in your face, how do you think that's gonna work?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Before I posted, I quickly searched and found an article from Winnepeg stating 1100 uses in 2022. But thanks to your comment I read further and yeah turns out it was 1100 uses in criminal acts... not against bears😅apologies for the misinformation, and will edit my post

But regardless, I stand by my question. There are a million what-ifs to ask yourself. Have you actually had close encounters with grizzly and used a firearm and or bearspray? I have not

IDVortex

WKR
I carry a 9mm in bear country. Already letting them know I'm a easy meal considering it's not a 10mm, so I have no opinion. Oh, I don't pack spray, when would wind ever be correct for spray against a bear when it's rarely right for a stalk?

Dead grizzly is successful on all fronts innthis situation. So called experts are scientists types that like sitting in Starbucks talking about what ifs. Bear spray works until it doesn't. Wind, proximity of bear, other people, spray can failure and spray manipulation. Hot lead gives you a chance. The hell with the liberal bear hugging types.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was packing out a bear a few years back. I say down to take a break and the load sat on my spray "which had lost the safety tab in the brush"...Needless to say there is some huge risk if the wind is bad.
The near full blast landed in my face. Talk about wanting to die. That stuff is insane.
I still carry it but I'm very cautious.
I'll kill a bear if it's threatening me or my wife beyond my tolerance. I'll report it and talk to fish and game to. I live in the thick of grizzly country and I'm not willing to get ripped up if I can help it.

I live in Southcentral Alaska and have never had to use bear spray or a firearm defensively. I follow many of the practices in the article, but obviously they don’t always work. I carry a 10mm outdoors when I’m not carrying a rifle.

That being said I do own bear spray and have practiced with it. I think it can be an effective bear (or criminal) deterrent, however I’m often in thick brush or strong enough wind that I wouldn’t want to deploy it. I almost never carry it.

My wife owns a pistol, but feels more comfortable carrying bear spray. Since she knows the risks and has practiced with it, that’s fine with me.
I’ve been in situations where I felt I was more likely to be accidentally shot or sprayed than mauled.

If you come visit and you’re competent with a firearm, I’ll loan you one for a hike. If you are competent with bear spray, I’ll loan you that. If you’re not familiar with bears, I’ll tell you several things the article mentioned knowing that they usually work.
In the situation when the bear comes anyway, I hope I’m as quick and accurate as the man in the article.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
Spray works great, but its banned in Yellowstone NP....Really?
Spray is banned in Yosemite, not Yellowstone. I was just in Yellowstone and saw a lot of people, including park rangers, carrying bear spray and they had vendors renting it out.

I carried my concealed EDC 9mm with Buffalo Bore 147 gr hard cast. There are many scenarios where spray seems like a bad idea: in the wind, in a tent, solo and blinded, etc. I bring spray sometimes, but in addition to a pistol rather than instead of one.