so I have an idea...........

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This year I was lucky enough to harvest a large cow elk in 12"+ of snow near a closed road. My buddy and I both had sleds and we were able to sled it out (1/2 a quartered elk each) in one go.

The sleds were at the truck so we had to hike 3 miles to the truck, hike 3 miles back to the elk and then 3 miles with the elk loaded.

0ZCHcrL.jpg

Definitely better than packing them out on our backs, but got me to thinking what if we had sleds already with us? Would have shaved 6 miles of trudging through snow.

I've seen portable game sleds before (owned one previously but never got a chance to use it). They tend to be pretty heavy and don't pack up overly small.

So my thought is a 24 x 48" sheet of 1/32" HDPE

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=36167&catid=705

Just over a pound, grommet it around the edges and add rope to secure a game bag. Probably add a handle. Thinking it could be sub 2 lbs pretty easy.

It wouldn't haul as much as a traditional sled, but thinking a it would haul a half of a fully boned elk.

Anyways, going to give it a try and see how it works :)

slowelk

WKR
How are you going to control it on anything other than flat ground?

I love the idea of a good sled, I just don't see how one can be functional and pack-able. Excited to see you give it a try!

Randle

WKR
I have been thinking of this also
Thanks for the link
I was just going to buy a kids sled and cut it down this looks small amd possibly lighter

Randle

WKR
Downhill control i figured I would be an anchor behind it .I will try it before I trust it

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get some ultraPE and fold the far end over so it's like an enclosed slide on slipper. Then you have a slick surface with oodles of abrasion resistance, and don't have to worry about tying off your meat or it slipping out the back.

the stuff they're making packs out of? might work???

similar to the linked sled, but smaller/lighter (and likely not as capable, but hopefully capable enough)

How are you going to control it on anything other than flat ground?

I love the idea of a good sled, I just don't see how one can be functional and pack-able. Excited to see you give it a try!

steep downhill w/ my current sled is sled ahead of me letting it glide down (slowly), would be similar for this I'm thinking

my buddy wasn't as cautious as I was on the downhill and thought his was going to go over the edge of the road, through the road and over the next edge into the abyss- but it didn't :D

This year I was lucky enough to harvest a large cow elk in 12"+ of snow near a closed road. My buddy and I both had sleds and we were able to sled it out (1/2 a quartered elk each) in one go.

The sleds were at the truck so we had to hike 3 miles to the truck, hike 3 miles back to the elk and then 3 miles with the elk loaded.

0ZCHcrL.jpg

Definitely better than packing them out on our backs, but got me to thinking what if we had sleds already with us? Would have shaved 6 miles of trudging through snow.

I've seen portable game sleds before (owned one previously but never got a chance to use it). They tend to be pretty heavy and don't pack up overly small.

Just over a pound, grommet it around the edges and add rope to secure a game bag. Probably add a handle. Thinking it could be sub 2 lbs pretty easy.

It wouldn't haul as much as a traditional sled, but thinking a it would haul a half of a fully boned elk.

Sounds like a genius idea to me!

A 24 inch roll should pack in easy enough, and be well worth its weight!

Consider, Pre-punching holes around the perimeter big enough for a para cord, to lace in a couple saplings for the hall.

MT257

WKR

0ZCHcrL.jpg

Is the harness you’re using here just a waist harness or do you have the full harness that looks like a tree stand harness? I used the hip one this fall, but wondering if the full harness is any more beneficial?

jhm2023

WKR
I really like my base camp XL from wilderness engineering for winter hunts. It doesn't fold up to carry, but I prefer to just put my pack and extra winter gear in the sled and pull it around with me instead of carrying it. This also helps with better flotation on snowshoes and skis. It's a blast to hunt on XC skis with a nice adequately designed rigid pole sled. It's like a biathlon of sorts. Smooth bottom sleds suck on anything but flat level ground, and the basecamp does well in pretty steep terrain and even has additional tie out points to hook up to the harness of other skiers for stability in the really steep stuff with heavy loads.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR

0ZCHcrL.jpg

I was literally just having a conversation with my Boss about this yesterday, as he was looking at similar distances and didn't want to pack something out on his back with slippery snow. He was thinking the same thing, having a sled available for pulling stuff with him already.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why not just put your gear in the sled and drag it with you from the start?

For winter backpacking that’s the plan; for hunting I think it might be a little noisy getting through thicker timber/brush.

Is the harness you’re using here just a waist harness or do you have the full harness that looks like a tree stand harness? I used the hip one this fall, but wondering if the full harness is any more beneficial?

The elk was hauled with my backpack (nearly emptied at the truck) poles attached to the waist belt.

For winter camping via snowshoe/skiing I use a lumbar pack with a harness. The harness makes a huge difference when pulling- highly recommend a harness.
I would trust it from a pokey stick or rock that might be hidden in the sow a lot more than something else. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

It would definitely be lighter than HDPE, would be interesting to try.

JjamesIII

WKR

0ZCHcrL.jpg

“Harvest” 😂

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've still have the roll up plastic game sled I bought in the early 90s, from Cabelas I believe, or maybe Scheels in Great Falls. 5-6 feet long, about 24" wide, maybe 2 pounds, grommets down the sides, and it curls up in front. Greased lightning on snow and wet grass and easily handles a whole MD buck. Hauled lots of deer before I got a cart and good pack. I carried it this year again because we got a bunch of snow but didn't get to ue it.