So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

Trackselk

WKR
White bathroom caulk or clear bathroom silicone for smearing on the rifle sling for non slip?

Attachments

• 16789182540396009026185287234889.jpg
    16789182540396009026185287234889.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 24
I made a flip flop pad for my hunter, I made it two layers with one piece cut to fit inside the stock that had a channel cut out and a chunk of carbon arrow to spread out the recoil and span the gap, and the other piece fit I fit to the outside. I used a nylon brushing wheel on my grinder and it was very effective at shaping. I tried to pry it out so I could take a pic but the glue I used is more tenacious than the foam. I remember that finding the right flip flop is key for weight, as the first two I tried were quite a bit heavier than the flip flop I eventually used, and the heavier foam was softer and not as recoil absorbent. I think the stiffer foam is better at absorbing recoil even though it doesn't feel very good to the touch. I am not sure about the final weight, but I have .5 oz in one picture, but I think this might be before the arrow.
As for recoil it is pretty sharp on my 308, but I don't notice it in the field and with the whispy barrel don't shoot it much at the range.

I can't believe how light you could carve that kimber stock. It looks just like the rambler stock and way cheaper!
Here is one on gunbroker that is the same weight and its kevlar and graphite: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/971567688
This is for sale from Rick Steinhour at Extreme Rifle Works. He does some crazy guns (and I thought he was the kifaru rifle maker), and has an article on his site about a custom MA that he carved up to 3# 10oz! https://www.extremerifleworks.com/light-weight-article

As for making a grippy sling I have used silicone caulk in the past and learned a few lessons. First that if you just smear the stuff on the nylon webbing it won't bond and will peel off after a few outings. To get it to stick you have to thin some silicone with paint thinner until you can saturate the webbing, after that has dried you can put a thick coat of caulk and it will bond to the silicone. Second even if you get it to bond it isn't very tough and will still rub off after a while but mine has lasted a few seasons. But the silicone impregnated sling is great at staying dry, and I have used this technique to waterproof fabric (like painting the bottom of your pant legs so they don't get wet while walking through snow, or the lid of my pack to get the water to run-off).

Trackselk

WKR
@petespistol
Thanks for the tips and amazing article link! I already have an email off to them to see how much they actually shave off the barreled action. I get my 22 creedmoor mountain ascent with hunter stock back tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be right at 5lbs with 18" barrel scoped (3x9 loopy ultralight). My 18" 6.5CM hunter will be roughly 2 ounces lighter with same scope. FWIW

Trackselk

WKR
Well, it came in 1.9oz over budget since I decided to not flute it as of yet. Really nervous about losing accuracy. Here it is with the titanium bolt handle, hunter stock, 3x9 ultralight, and 22 creed threaded barrel. The smaller bore added an ounce or two.
What do we call a cross of a hunter and mtn ascent, Mtn hunter?
I should have some loads worked up for it soon, and will report back with the results of the Lilja barrel, blue printed action, and trued up bolt lugs and face. Oh, and the 2.25 lb trigger job is MUCH better.

Attachments

• 20230324_165618.jpg
    20230324_165618.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20230324_160913.jpg
    20230324_160913.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 115

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Years I ago I owned a Remington LTR (light tactical rifle), a rifle designed around the needs of an urban environment- thus a shorter (but still heavy) 20" barrel. Remington wanted it fluted to shave a little weight. The designed something like 40 fluted barrel configurations- varying the # of flutes, width of flutes, depth of flutes. They shot all 40 barrels (a lot) and then picked the best one, needless to say that thing shot crazy accurate (dime groups @ 100 yds) :D

Trackselk

WKR
One thing I noticed, is that all the manufacturers use straight flutes, and I'd guess that a spiral fluted barrel would have more lateral deviation versus a straight fluted one.
So, I just emailed Kampfeld to see if he has any straight flute options that can remotely approach the significant weight reduction of his aggressive spiral fluting. I wouldn't hesitate if it was 300, or maybe even 400 yard rifle, but I want it for 500, where I'd like to have 1/2 moa accuracy as I don't like taking chances...
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this, and any sightings of sub moa spiral fluted barrels.
- lastly, looks like Karl can cut about 4 ounces off a 20" barrel (deep spiral cuts), although my 22 creedmoor barrel has a lot more excess to play with.
*Edit. This thing is so muzzle heavy with the crazy light stock that I'm definitely going to have Kampfeld do a very aggressive fluting job, especially since I'll be adding an Ultra 7 to the end.
If it was a 308 or bigger bore cartridge I'd highly recommend going with 16" to help balance the gun, if you want a feather light stock that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo

Trackselk

WKR
From extreme rifle works:

Kimber 84M factory SS receiver with recoil lug weighs 10.2 ozs. Same receiver and lug, contoured is 7.8 ozs. Factory bolt body with extractor and collar 6.4 ozs Factory helical fluted bolt with Titanium bolt handle is 4.6 ozs. Factory bolt with extractor, collar my fluting and TI Bolt handle is 4.4 ozs

-i haven't had time to digest this...
-he's supposed to get back to me with some contoured barrel weights, which I hope are several ounces of reduced weight...

Jon Boy

WKR
I feel like I saw some where in this thread where you can order a hunter stock from kimber? Looking for one for my classic select for certain hunts. Any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ someone on this thread did just that, can't recall the cost though- give Kimber a call

$827.70 to have Kimber put a hunter in a Montana stock with blind mag internals, have to send your barreled action in. I’d imagine the hunter stock would be a couple hundred.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Picked up another hunter stock today from kimber. You can't get the montana, ascent, style stocks, so who knows if they'll keep selling the hunter stocks. I was surprised at the price, $100 + $13 shipping, and got a set of action screws for $10. Pretty good for one of the lightest stocks around...

there you go :)

Saw this on Gunbroker and figured I'd post it here in case it hadn't been seen yet. Pretty sweet build.

Saw this also I messaged the guy that has it for sale. He sent me the article about the build. It is a pretty cool build. If I am remembering right the gunsmith is the same one that worked with Patrick from Kifaru to build the Rambler rifle, I think that was the name of it.

Attachments

• Kimber Custom.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 33