So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

jpndave

FNG
First pic right?

👍🏼Yes first pic. With those flutes the cycling of a completely empty rifle you should be able to feel the ejector following the bolt - not as smooth as an unfluted or even the one that you just had done. With rounds in the magazine it should be worse. Has that been your experience?

Trackselk

WKR
👍🏼Yes first pic. With those flutes the cycling of a completely empty rifle you should be able to feel the ejector following the bolt - not as smooth as an unfluted or even the one that you just had done. With rounds in the magazine it should be worse. Has that been your experience?
Oh I see!
Well, the new one is tighter with the cerakote, and catches slightly when the bolt first stops to the rear, but it was getting better with cycling, and scrubbing away a tiny patch of corresponding cerakote.
Not sure if i'm describing that very well, but I think it's where the bolt lug meets the action. It feels like it's going to eventually be as smooth as my ascent, which is really smooth, but now it's gone off to mpi for months. I didn't cycle any rounds through it, so I'll just worry until I can verify it's good to go. At least I have my ascent as a back up for this year. Looks like I need to cut it 4" and get it threaded for proper size suppressor threads.
Only non fluted bolt action I have for comparison is a .22...
- now I can understand the purpose of the straight cut. I can say with certainty that the forward and aft motion of the bolt is smooth. So, i'm sure Karl made it function well. The cerakote stickiness is par for the course, and going to take a lot of cycling to wear into a happy place. It was 75% better after 50 cycles...
Good thing I ended up with the big goofy carbon knob, which has been pretty handy in the cold with gloves. I had it on my Ascent, and should order a second one.

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
I may or may not have bought a Hunter in 257 Roberts this morning...
Cool, I've been thinking about another one myself. I need a backup rifle that my 6.5 ultra 7 (to be) will fit, so looks like I'm going to sell my .33" grouping .308 ascent if I can get what it's worth. Trying to decide between another 6.5cm or the 257 Roberts myself. I'll probably also cut it 18" but have Karl do the aggressive spiral flutes and see how accurate it remains with the suppressor on the end. All my backup rifles are 30 cal, and I wanted maximum suppression to help keep what hearing I have left...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool, I've been thinking about another one myself. I need a backup rifle that my 6.5 ultra 7 (to be) will fit, so looks like I'm going to sell my .33" grouping .308 ascent if I can get what it's worth. Trying to decide between another 6.5cm or the 257 Roberts myself. I'll probably also cut it 18" but have Karl do the aggressive spiral flutes and see how accurate it remains with the suppressor on the end. All my backup rifles are 30 cal, and I wanted maximum suppression to help keep what hearing I have left...

I here guys are really wanting Hunter bolts in their Ascents now, so hit me up and we can get a swap done :ROFLMAO:

Trackselk

WKR
Man, looking at an 18" .243 almost makes a 16" .223 look better!? Losing a lot of speed per inch compared to 6.5CM <
Too bad it would cost a fortune (again) to get a 223 Montana all done up, if you can find one...
Just thinking low recoil trainer/backup rifle.

Trackselk

WKR
Any idea how much work is involved in putting a hunter stock and mag on an ascent? Sounds crazy, but I have the extra hunter stock and ascent on hand...

If this is right then we could drop almost 1/2 pound off of an ascent just with a hunter stock:
Hunter stock trimmed 18.65 with factory pad, so potentially 16.65oz with flip flop. +magazine (weight?)

Ascent stock 25.2 + 1oz trigger gaurd

Last edited:
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Any idea how much work is involved in putting a hunter stock and mag on an ascent? Sounds crazy, but I have the extra hunter stock and ascent on hand...

If this is right then we could drop almost 1/2 pound off of an ascent just with a hunter stock:
Hunter stock trimmed 18.65 with factory pad, so potentially 16.65oz with flip flop. +magazine (weight?)

Ascent stock 25.2 + 1oz trigger gaurd

Got a magazine for the hunter stock? It’s two screws to swap them. About 20 seconds if you are blindfolded

Trackselk

WKR
Got a magazine for the hunter stock? It’s two screws to swap them. About 20 seconds if you are blindfolded
Thanks, I have just one hunter mag, so hopefully I can order a second one and find the 2 screws. I'll get a weight on the mag soon also. That's seriously all there is to switching the stocks!?

*correction, my entire hunter is at mpi until June 1st. I'm going to order a mag from kimber.

Last edited:
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks, I have just one hunter mag, so hopefully I can order a second one and find the 2 screws. I'll get a weight on the mag soon also. That's seriously all there is to switching the stocks!?

*correction, my entire hunter is at mpi until June 1st. I'm going to order a mag from kimber.

Yep just the two action screws. All the 84M actions are the same.

Trackselk

WKR
I wonder what the odds are that the 2 trigger gaurd screws are the same size, or same diameter but longer with any luck?

Last edited:
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I wonder what the odds are that the 2 trigger gaurd screws are the same size, or same diameter but longer with any luck?

The trigger guard won't transfer as the trigger guard is molded into the Hunter stock. You'll just re-use the two action screws.

Trackselk

WKR
The trigger guard won't transfer as the trigger guard is molded into the Hunter stock. You'll just re-use the two action screws.
That's what made me think that there might be 2 excess screws from the gaurd? It'll be easy to figure out anyhow. I got a magazine on order, about $67 shipped from kimber. MPI needed mine to fit the new stock.
Any opinions on where to get a new barrel built? I'm thinking that the hunter stock goes on my ascent with a new 6 or 6.5cm fluted barrel from pacnor. Looks like it'll be expensive though.

Anyone know what an 84m barrels thickness is at 17”? Tbac recommends .662 for 9/16x24 threads.

Trackselk

WKR
Anyone know what an 84m barrels thickness is at 17”? Tbac recommends .662 for 9/16x24 threads.
I'm out on vacation, but if noone else gets you an answer, I'll be back in 10 days. Tbac told me the minimum was .565+ for 9/16". Not sure if that was 24 or 28 tpi.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR

At 16.5” mine is right at 0.60” - Kampfeld threaded it 1/2-28 with no issue, but there may not be enough meat for 9/16-24.

Trackselk

WKR
I should mention that the .565" is for end of the muzzle indexing, as there's not enough meat for a shoulder. For the sake of less weight and good looks, this is what I'm going for.

Trackselk

WKR
Barreled action is on the was to JES, supposed to get there Monday. Decided to do fore end surgery tonight. Pre surgery:

View attachment 249855

Post surgery, pre-sanding:

View attachment 249857

Apologize for side way pics btw...

Didn’t lose a ton of weight, probably net another 0.05oz after sanding later I’d guess. But, it will make it look a little less crazy with the 16.5” barrel ha.

Well, the mpi stock situation is having a happy ending after all. My .308 ascent is getting the old hunter stock and a new 6.5CM barrel. I'm following your lead on the stock, did you sand the whole stock heavily to get proper bonding of the paint?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Well, the mpi stock situation is having a happy ending after all. My .308 ascent is getting the old hunter stock and a new 6.5CM barrel. I'm following your lead on the stock, did you sand the whole stock heavily to get proper bonding of the paint?

Yes but not heavily, just a good roughing up. Working on the one for the 257 Bob right now. Hope to paint it this weekend.