Snowpack not looking very good :(

We were in the red for several days (under 50%), this last bit of snow put us closer to 60%. We got close to an inch of precip in town—I see the drought map improved for most of the state.

June precip will likely be the crux of what kind of fire season we have
Agreed. Most folks correlate winter and spring snowpack to fire season, but summer precip seems to be more indicative of the potential for fire activity and the ability of starts to be contained or get out of containment and turn into large fires.

Snowpack influences fuel moistures a great deal, but summer precip influences start or growth probabilities more in my experience.

Snow pack today 6/1/24, at approximately 1,000’ elevation in south central AK. Hopefully this and a little rain this summer will bode well for us.
5d236787c393ac31834f7076d9c8a28d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better than I would have thought. Looked up Helena, we're a couple tenths to the good for the year (suprised me). The most important month for precip (in regards to fire season) is June—sadly that was our worst month, roughly 50% of normal.

I do have to say that although the moisture was low, it was rather timely- we'd go a full week w/o any moisture than get a couple of tenths; this pattern for the entire month. Temps sadly quite a bit above normal for June :(

I do see a report from the Forest Service on their fire prediction for Montana; they thought a pretty normal season. Premised on the prediction that the El Niño trend would change to La Niña quicker than normal; which could mean cooler temps/more precip for late summer/early fall. Hope they are right!

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Though it's interesting to follow, I don't get too wrought up in things I have absolutely no effect on.

Prognostications regarding weather are pretty meaningless unless done in hindsight.

:)