Snowpack not looking very good :(

IDVortex

WKR
hopefully this translates to a decent amount up east of us in Idaho.

Attachments

• 1708015885523860174323562011706.jpg
    1708015885523860174323562011706.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 54
An interesting point of observation. Normally we go through a period of high winds the last two weeks of Jan and first two weeks of Feb. No winds or drifting this year.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The weather man made an interesting point the other night— he said that Helena valley was quite a bit ahead for snow (and moisture) to this point, but the mountains were quite a bit behind.

I've noticed that hiking at higher elevations that there wasn't a heck of a lot more snow high as there was in the valley, certainly not the contrast you would find with a normal Winter.

IDVortex

WKR
Was hoping for a change for March, but NWS is saying warmer and drier than average. Or at least for the panhandle area.

Hopefully it comes for you guys. Growing up on a Missouri River reservoir, I don’t want to see it the way it was in early 2000s, although the pheasants and deer could really use the cover for a comeback. We’ve had several trips out to Big Sky in mid June where it would dump 3-5 feet over a long weekend, so there’s still plenty of potential.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Saw an article about snow fall, Jackson Hole, WY 8.5 ft just in Feb. Then there is Tahoe. No to bad. Resized_20240221_174526.jpeg

MNBob

FNG
We will be heading into spring with a deficit unless we get a bunch of rain here in MN.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We’re very slowly climbing, 65% today (45% a month ago).

Calling for decent snow this weekend.

I think there is very little chance we’ll hit 100%, but might make it 80% with a lot of luck.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
The weather man made an interesting point the other night— he said that Helena valley was quite a bit ahead for snow (and moisture) to this point, but the mountains were quite a bit behind.

I've noticed that hiking at higher elevations that there wasn't a heck of a lot more snow high as there was in the valley, certainly not the contrast you would find with a normal Winter.
Spoke to a buddy who went snowmobiling today, he reported more snow down low than up high, as did another rider in another area. Just weird....but that's the winter we are having up here!

CorbLand

WKR
Yup, this could be a amazing time for the mountains. I'm hoping the low areas don't. I just don't want a early work morning tomorrow 😂
Snow removal is the only job that I truly loved and hated at the same time.

KurtR

WKR
Snow removal is the only job that I truly loved and hated at the same time.
The first couple times were fun now having to keep 20 people on task and going to the right spot and not hitting shit and putting the snow in the right spot has made me hate snow. I used to love winter

IDVortex

WKR
This storm was a day I should've called in sick all day or had taken the whole day off not the afternoon. 😂 plowing is fun, the first time, after that between break downs and people, it's a terrible job.