Sitka, Kuiu, or Firstlite

JakeV117

FNG
Over the past couple seasons I’ve tried different kits from Sitka and Kuiu. I feel they both have advantages and disadvantages for tree stand hunting. I’m 6ft 160lbs, Sitka med seem to all be belly shirts for me and the large too big. Kuiu Large seem to fit the best.

Wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts were and that they are wearing.

I am taking this as stand hunting and not in a blind or still hunting. Personally I am moving away from the synthetics, except for rain gear or a wind blocking layer. I have had better success with wool and down. I just saw Kuiu released a wool that has synthetic fibers in it also. Like to see how it works.

Lowg08

WKR
I will say all of the above. My set up is full of Sitka, kuiu, first lite, outdoor research, under armor and even killik. Just choosing the best pieces from each. That fits your particular needs

I bought my first Sitka when it was still Mothwing. I tried FL but had horrible durability issues and customer service issues. So I ended up going back to Sitka. Stuff just works for me. But I also use some mountaineering brands like Prana and Kuhl. Especially for pants.

Being from PA i would assume most of your hunting is in that neck of the woods, ao i will speak to what i know of and not what i don’t in regards to tree stand hunting.

Sitka:
stratus and fanatic line are amazing treestand pieces with ability to do a bib on the bottom. A bin solves the problem of the shorter torso fitment problem ypu were experiencing. But they do also make medium tall sizes now which might fix uour problem in the upper. The fanatic hoody is cut long so that is a “must have” and great piece, and layers well under either the above jackets.

Kuiu:
Outer pieces are not really meant for treesrand hunting as they are a little louder than i prefer, but they have some great mid layers that can serve as outers in mild weather (strongfleece and peloton 240). I have layered their super down pro pants under my stratus bibs and that works really well, albeit i would not want to walk far with that on.

FL:
Know nothing here

My personal preference is for sitka outers with whatever works underneath. I use my stratus jacket A LOT during deer season, but i am in OK, not PA. It does get cool/cold down here in season but not quite as cold and as much weather as what you see up there.
Mix and match. Deer don’t care about patterns at all, and lately i have tried to go more toward pieces i can wear outside if deer season (solids).

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
A hodgepodge. Mostly Sitka and Kuiu from the brands listed. I whitetail hunt in humidity and prefer synthetics to wool for that. At any given time half the stuff I have on is probably from mountaineering brands, though.

Macintosh

WKR
mix and match is the only way for me. most of my stuff is climbing and mountaineering brands, but I have some FL that I really like--their wool baselayer and pullovers I like a lot, and their wool-blend pants are the only soft-shell-ish pants i've found that are actually quiet enough for general tree stand hunting. In general their fits are kind of boxy and finish is OK, but not going to win any awards. They seem to match what I'm looking for better than the other companies though, so I think I own more FL than any of the other designer hunting brands. I have personally not had any durability issues with them and the one time my wife blew a pocket zipper on a jacket they replaced it no questions asked.

Sitka stuff has been good, but for whatever reason they just dont seem to make exactly what I've been looking for. I have a lighter-weight insulated top I like OK and my wife loves her fanatic stuff.

Most bibs are just crazy bulky, so I covet a pair of the kuiu ultra down pants for packing-in for later-season stand hunting, but I'm not sure if those will work well due to the noise, and I think I might get a better product in a black or grey from western mountaineering or feathered friends or a similar company. It seems despite the whole "mobile hunting" thing no one is making lighter, packable clothes with tree stand hunting in mind.

I also have some wool stuff I like from a company called silent predator--I think its a canadian outfit, but since king of the mountain and beagle wear went out of business they are the only place I've found wool in cammies. I'm more of a wool jack-shirt kind of guy rifle hunting, but I guess that's still just as much a fashion statement as anything. I'm not actually sold on camo being a necessity, I think an earth-toned plaid wool would be 100% as effective as any of the $$$$$ camo out there. It's pretty warm and it is definitely quiet, but still bulky and not great for packing in with.

Drenalin

WKR
Most bibs are just crazy bulky, so I covet a pair of the kuiu ultra down pants for packing-in for later-season stand hunting, but I'm not sure if those will work well due to the noise, and I think I might get a better product in a black or grey from western mountaineering or feathered friends or a similar company. It seems despite the whole "mobile hunting" thing no one is making lighter, packable clothes with tree stand hunting in mind.
Agreed...the Kuiu Kenai stuff has filled the role best for me. It's not the warmest thing you'll find, and doesn't block wind at all, but for quiet packable insulation it's the best I've found.

Firstlite base layers

Then Sitka whitetail line for me. Anything available in tall I buy it in tall even though I'm only 6 foot. Anything in normal length is waaaay too short. I highly recommend the Stratus

Being from PA i would assume most of your hunting is in that neck of the woods, ao i will speak to what i know of and not what i don’t in regards to tree stand hunting.

Sitka:
stratus and fanatic line are amazing treestand pieces with ability to do a bib on the bottom. A bin solves the problem of the shorter torso fitment problem ypu were experiencing. But they do also make medium tall sizes now which might fix uour problem in the upper. The fanatic hoody is cut long so that is a “must have” and great piece, and layers well under either the above jackets.

Kuiu:
Outer pieces are not really meant for treesrand hunting as they are a little louder than i prefer, but they have some great mid layers that can serve as outers in mild weather (strongfleece and peloton 240). I have layered their super down pro pants under my stratus bibs and that works really well, albeit i would not want to walk far with that on.

FL:
Know nothing here

My personal preference is for sitka outers with whatever works underneath. I use my stratus jacket A LOT during deer season, but i am in OK, not PA. It does get cool/cold down here in season but not quite as cold and as much weather as what you see up there.
Mix and match. Deer don’t care about patterns at all, and lately i have tried to go more toward pieces i can wear outside if deer season (solids).
Thanks for the info

MrRogers

FNG
I've been using the FL base layers for a few seasons now and they work well. Picked up the whitetail catalyst set last year and it's very versatile and quiet, can wear it from early October and well into November with proper layering.

Been using sitka outter layers for a while now ended up with the stratus bibs and jacket whe. It gets cold the fanatic vest goes on with the right layers under I can make it all season in a tree in Michigan and Illinois

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I own a bunch of FL gear. I love my Catalyst and Obsidian pants. They have an athletic fit, pockets in the right spots and are quiet. Typically I have Icebreaker base layers, a wool sweater and then FL Solitude on top and FL Catalyst pant. That would be my still hunting in November at -5c and below set up. I quite like that set up for me. I’m 5’10, 175lbs and have always found their Whitetail jackets a bit boxer than I like. If I lived in the lower 48 and live somewhere I don’t have to stand hunt below -5c I would take FL to no questions. Up here in Alberta, I think I would need something from Sitka. From what my buddies say it’s good at cutting the wind, which is half the battle.

I would never choose to wear Kuiu hunting WT, that’s just not what it was designed for. To WT hunt you want the quietest of gear. A moose hunt in the Yukon, Kuiu is king.

I think all the base layers are frail. This is not a weakness. They are all thin and prone to snags etc. I have FL base layers and I have no complaints with merino wool. I feel like overall durability goes to Sitka. I ran FL for 6-7 years and now Sitka for the past 3 years. I like how FL sizing stays within the layering system. With FL, if you wear a medium, you will likely wear a medium t/o their layering system. This is not the case with Sitka. I had to try each layer, as I added a layer, to determine the correct size.

I fit the body type of each brand, mostly, so they fit fairly well. I'm not nearly as tall as you so the shirts tend to run a little long which is not a problem. I just tug them in.

I think that's the challenge with clothing in general. They are made for a specific body type. Realistically, there are not a lot of 6 foot guys that weigh 160 lbs. Maybe they make a small in tall?

I bowhunt from mid-September through end of January here in Wisconsin. Early and mid season find me in solid colored bottoms and UA top with fleece under layers. Once temperatures drop, I switch to Kryptek. For me, it handles both cold and wet.
Wasn't a huge fan of UA gear, but found a top that has worked great throughout the years and just stuck with it.

For durability and function I am primarily sitka
Kuiu and kryptek have piece that meet that too

First lite just hasn’t lasted and the fit is not what I prefer. What FL I have left just gets worn during trapping season and when it dies it won’t be replaced.

I still wear a bunch of ASAT stuff through archery but when I need to be out long and in bad 90% of the time it’s Sitka

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Pick and choose amongst all of it.

last hunt I had on Sitka, first lite, nomad, UA and Predator

I couldn't bring myself to buy any of the above and tried SKRE this year. It has been good, it's quiet and durable from what I can tell. NC brier thickets are tough on clothes

Dalton138

FNG
I own a bunch of FL gear. I love my Catalyst and Obsidian pants. They have an athletic fit, pockets in the right spots and are quiet. Typically I have Icebreaker base layers, a wool sweater and then FL Solitude on top and FL Catalyst pant. That would be my still hunting in November at -5c and below set up. I quite like that set up for me. I’m 5’10, 175lbs and have always found their Whitetail jackets a bit boxer than I like. If I lived in the lower 48 and live somewhere I don’t have to stand hunt below -5c I would take FL to no questions. Up here in Alberta, I think I would need something from Sitka. From what my buddies say it’s good at cutting the wind, which is half the battle.

I would never choose to wear Kuiu hunting WT, that’s just not what it was designed for. To WT hunt you want the quietest of gear. A moose hunt in the Yukon, Kuiu is king.
Kuiu does have the new Proximity line that is geared directly to whitetail hunters. That being said, all of my Kuiu gear is so far is for early/mid season. I may go to Sitka for my late season gear.