Sitka Fanatic vs. Stratus in Southeast

BowNP

FNG
I live in Middle TN where morning temps usually get to low 20s at the lowest through deer season. I’m looking at getting some Sitka bibs (fanatic vs. stratus). I have a pair of browning pants and a base layer that can get me through most of early and mid-season, but am wanting one of these bibs to get me through the rest of the season (including some duck hunting too). I’m not really hot/cold natured, just normal. I hunt in stands with negligible walking distances.

1) Will the fanatic bibs be too much heat for mid/late season weather in the southeast (morning temps 30-40 in Nov.)? As in, when it’s too cold for my base layer and browning pants, can I switch to fanatic in ~40 degree temps and not die?

2) Will the stratus bibs provide enough warmth to push later season hunting and even duck hunting? I only have some UA cold gear base layers so I would need more layers, just didn’t know if stratus could push late season without having to put on 20 layers lol. Thanks for any and all input.

jrowl2282

FNG
I hunt primarily in ks and am usually going until late season. I have stratus bibs and also have a fanatic jacket and also a fanatic vest that I use at different times. I can't say that I've used this setup In a duck blind but I have laid in the snow for hours on end.

I typically use a cold gear type pant along with socks and my lacrosse insulated rubber boots

I've yet to have any reason to sell my stratus bibs for fanatics

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Routine low 20s for long hours of stationary hunting - no on the Stratus bibs.

Infrequent low 20s for a few hours of stationary hunting - yes.

I usually break out my Fanatic bibs for consistent under 30 temps.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Stratus is 30-50 degree range. If the high temps are low 30s or lower and I want an all day, its always fanatic. From what you're describing, I would likely only wear the fanatic occasionally, I would go stratus and equinox midi pants.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
To your questions:
1. Yes. The Fanatic is too much over 40 degrees, even sitting still. If you are going to walk any significant distance to your stand or you still hunt and move often, it is far too much. Especially paired with the Fanatic bibs. They are best below 40 and static. You could go up to 45 I guess but it will depend on weather, wind or not, are you in a blind, in direct sunlight, etc. For me, and I run cold these days, 40 is my max temp.

2. I wear the Stratus bibs a lot more than I thought I would from about 45 or so degrees and down or below 60 if it's much of a wind, just vary the base/mid layers. I wear my Fanatic jacket over the Stratus bibs usually below 35 and depending on where I'm hunting or style.... if I'm walking much, I'm wearing neither.

In cold weather when dry and calm air, I favor the Equinox midi pants under my Timberlines and then the cold weather hoody under the Fanatic jacket. If it's down into the teens, then swap pants for the Stratus bibs. Base layers heavier and it gets colder. If you do not have the Equinox midi pants, I recommend checking them out, they're a great mid layer and work very well unless you are going to be active.

For waterfowl, you could wear the Fanatic and or Stratus bibs but it would depend on type of hunting. If it's mostly layout blinds, sure they'll work but I find the Fanatic too bulky for wing shooting in that sense but you'll be warm... and dirty, right? Who doesn't get filthy hunting crop fields? They'll work but there are better alternatives with appropriate outer materials/make-ups.

jhoff04

FNG
Stratus is the way to go. Way more versatile. I was very hesitant before buying them that they wouldn't be warm enough too but I just layer up as needed. After owning them, no way I could see myself wanting the fanatic bibs.

I'll wear a heavy merino base and puffy insulated pants under my stratus bibs and treestand hunt into single digits.

Not so sure it'd be my waterfowl gear, though. The material is going to collect a lot of moisture and dirt but kind of depends on your style of hunting.

Above 35, stratus. Below 35, fanatic.
Both will catch burrs if you're walking through nasty stuff, and neither is waterproof if you're rolling around in the mud.
I wear my stratus a ton in MO, but I get cold easy so I'm a fanatic or incinerator guy when it gets below freezing. Not a big fan of the optifade elevated ii until the leaves drop though. The stratus in elevated ii is pretty white. I'd prefer subalpine.

Ho5tile1

WKR
No such thing as it’s to much for over a certain temp as everyone is different only you will know that, if you run cold it won’t be to much in 35-40 if you run hot it might be. I sure would not walk in with it on no matter the temp. I use the fanatic in the south east anytime it’s in the 30s I get cold easy in a tree. The stratus blocks wind so does the fanatic but the stratus is not very warm imo if you run hot the stratus may be for you with some layers. Good luck

My buddies made fun of me for my Sitka and kuiu first lite etc. till we all went to Illinois for a hunt and it was like 15 out with 30 mph winds higher gusts it was like a tropical storm a couple of those days. When they started texting saying they where headed to the truck cause they where frozen I said well yall wait in the truck cause I’m warm and comfortable in my Sitka. They got to eat tag soup I shot the biggest deer of my life that trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BowNP

FNG
To your questions:
1. Yes. The Fanatic is too much over 40 degrees, even sitting still. If you are going to walk any significant distance to your stand or you still hunt and move often, it is far too much. Especially paired with the Fanatic bibs. They are best below 40 and static. You could go up to 45 I guess but it will depend on weather, wind or not, are you in a blind, in direct sunlight, etc. For me, and I run cold these days, 40 is my max temp.

2. I wear the Stratus bibs a lot more than I thought I would from about 45 or so degrees and down or below 60 if it's much of a wind, just vary the base/mid layers. I wear my Fanatic jacket over the Stratus bibs usually below 35 and depending on where I'm hunting or style.... if I'm walking much, I'm wearing neither.

In cold weather when dry and calm air, I favor the Equinox midi pants under my Timberlines and then the cold weather hoody under the Fanatic jacket. If it's down into the teens, then swap pants for the Stratus bibs. Base layers heavier and it gets colder. If you do not have the Equinox midi pants, I recommend checking them out, they're a great mid layer and work very well unless you are going to be active.

For waterfowl, you could wear the Fanatic and or Stratus bibs but it would depend on type of hunting. If it's mostly layout blinds, sure they'll work but I find the Fanatic too bulky for wing shooting in that sense but you'll be warm... and dirty, right? Who doesn't get filthy hunting crop fields? They'll work but there are better alternatives with appropriate outer materials/make-ups.
That makes so much sense. Thank you so much for writing all that out. I’ll definitely check out the midi pants and probably go with stratus. Thank again!

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
Stratus and layer with midi pants, I didn't even use my fanatic bibs last season in MA/NH, just layered under the stratus bibs packed in the fanatic jacket when need be.

OP
B

BowNP

FNG
Stratus and layer with midi pants, I didn't even use my fanatic bibs last season in MA/NH, just layered under the stratus bibs packed in the fanatic jacket when need be.
Yeah that’s looking like the way to go. I really appreciate the advice. I’m seeing everyone really recommending the fanatic jacket to pair with stratus bibs though, is the stratus jacket not worth it?

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
Stratus jacket is nothing more than a fuzzy quiet windbreaker, it lacks any real insulation. So it's a great layering piece but not going to get you down very cold. I run the stratus for about half the season then switch to fanatic jacket when the temps drop into the 30s especially on longer sits. They are just very different pieces of clothing designed for different temp ranges.

Buckhead

FNG
Cold tolerance is a personal thing. When younger, I could handle the cold much better than today. Being 66, need warmer stuff. Also live in the Southeast (N Georgia), so conditions are similar to Tennessee.

I have both the Stratus and Fanatic systems. In my experience, the Fanatic is almost overkill for hunting in the Southeast. (For tree stand hunting). Last season, didn’t use the Fanatic once. Prefer my Firstlite Solitude jacket and bibs which I use when temps drop into the 30’s and below.

For duck hunting, I don’t think either would be ideal due to the available camo patterns and need to wear under waders. Would look at waterfowl specific gear.

OP
B

BowNP

FNG
Cold tolerance is a personal thing. When younger, I could handle the cold much better than today. Being 66, need warmer stuff. Also live in the Southeast (N Georgia), so conditions are similar to Tennessee.

I have both the Stratus and Fanatic systems. In my experience, the Fanatic is almost overkill for hunting in the Southeast. (For tree stand hunting). Last season, didn’t use the Fanatic once. Prefer my Firstlite Solitude jacket and bibs which I use when temps drop into the 30’s and below.

For duck hunting, I don’t think either would be ideal due to the available camo patterns and need to wear under waders. Would look at waterfowl specific gear.
That's really helpful. I was hoping to save some $ and have a single bib work for different types of hunting, but it makes sense that it wouldn't be the case. I didn't realize how fuzzy each the stratus and fanatic were and that they wouldn't work well for the duck blind. Thanks for the advice!

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
The Stratus bib and the right layers are all you need! If you spend a lot of time in the teens and lower, and sit then yeah, the Fanatic bibs might make sense. Give the Stratus a go for this year and see how versatile they are for you. You can always add Fanatic bibs later and any layers you get/have will always be useful.