Sitka Dewpoint vs Sitka flash pullover

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed the Sitka dew point rain jacket is on sale but is still a bit more expensive and a couple ounces heavier than the Sitka flash pullover. I’m just looking for some western early season high country lightweight rain gear and was wondering if anyone knew what would be best of the two. I guess I could call Sitka and ask also?

tracker12

WKR
I have hunted out west since the early eighties and can count on my hands the times I needed rain gear because it was actually raining. That being said it does seem to be raining more during the archery elk season the last few years. I ran the Sitka Storm Front Lite and it was all I have ever needed.

Trial153

WKR
The dew point is as good a packable rain gear as you can find. I have beat the hell out of my jacket and it’s held up great .

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an older article but looking at the chart I see the stormfront and the dewpoint both consist of 3-layer Gore-Tex fabric compared to the laminate cloudburst offers. As someone who is always skeptical of any product stamped laminate I am curious to where the increased durability comes in for the stormfront compared to the dewpoint? I see there is almost a 10 oz in the two sets, is this derived from the extended features such as pockets on the stormfront while the basic fabrics of the are the same as the dewpoint? I ask with interest not only for the durability but also longevity. I can understand how these two may be confused as one in the same but in my situation where I do not see long periods of rain they get used multiple hunts and multiple terrain and would much rather spend $1000 on a set than $600 if it will give me multiple years of use?

OP
Jc213

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted out west since the early eighties and can count on my hands the times I needed rain gear because it was actually raining. That being said it does seem to be raining more during the archery elk season the last few years. I ran the Sitka Storm Front Lite and it was all I have ever needed.
Thanks for the input. Only reason why I’m getting some is because I got rained out on my archery Nevada hunt last year sadly. Seems like I’ll be fine with anything light duty.

OP
Jc213

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
The dew point is as good a packable rain gear as you can find. I have beat the hell out of my jacket and it’s held up great .
Cool I think I’m gonna have to jump on one.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed the Sitka dew point rain jacket is on sale but is still a bit more expensive and a couple ounces heavier than the Sitka flash pullover. I’m just looking for some western early season high country lightweight rain gear and was wondering if anyone knew what would be best of the two. I guess I could call Sitka and ask also?

Flash pullover is a windbreaker with DWR , not really rain gear.

EDW

FNG
The Dew Point is easy to pack and has kept me dry on several occasions

Flash pullover is a windbreaker with DWR , not really rain gear.

Yes, despite a bunch of people calling it rain gear..

I know this is an older article but looking at the chart I see the stormfront and the dewpoint both consist of 3-layer Gore-Tex fabric compared to the laminate cloudburst offers. As someone who is always skeptical of any product stamped laminate I am curious to where the increased durability comes in for the stormfront compared to the dewpoint? I see there is almost a 10 oz in the two sets, is this derived from the extended features such as pockets on the stormfront while the basic fabrics of the are the same as the dewpoint? I ask with interest not only for the durability but also longevity. I can understand how these two may be confused as one in the same but in my situation where I do not see long periods of rain they get used multiple hunts and multiple terrain and would much rather spend $1000 on a set than $600 if it will give me multiple years of use?

Same goretex as far as I can tell on dewpoint and cloudburst, they are all laminates. The durability comes from a 75d face fabric (vs 20d on dewpoint) and the microgrid backing. Basically the gore liner is sandwiched between more substantial materials making the garment more durable and heavier.

There are limited different types of gore tex membranes, the big difference between different brands and garments within a single brand is in what face fabric is used, how it’s treated, and what (if any) liner is used.

Last edited:
OP
Jc213

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up going with the firstlite vapor storm light ultralight rain jacket on their tag soup sale. Get some gear while they’re hot

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Dew Point is paclite material, the Stormfront is much burlier. I bought a Marmot paclite shell for less than a hundred bucks in gray this past season.
Think I put it on maybe twice in the woods, primarily as a windbreaker during snow storms.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Dew Point is paclite material, the Stormfront is much burlier.

Dewpoint is not paclite, it is original 3 layer gore tex. Paclite is a 2 layer laminate that does not have a liner fabric and is less durable.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Dewpoint is not paclite, it is original 3 layer gore tex. Paclite is a 2 layer laminate that does not have a liner fabric and is less durable.
I stand corrected. The only difference is the backer material according to Gore. Paclite has a thin film instead of a backer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I tried a Flash pull over but the cut was to short for me. I have a long torso. I use a Marmot Precip jacket and Kuiu NXS pants when I'm pretty sure it won't rain but want to have raingear. I go to a Sitka Cloudburst for the jacket if I think there is a decent chance of rain it. If I know it will rain it's the FL Seak jacket and Kuiu Yukon pants. Those treated me really well in Alaska when it rained for 5 days.

A lot of times I just take a Go Lite poncho-tarp if I don't think it will rain but want to have something just in case. I can hole up somewhere halfway protected in that and wait out a shower.