Sitka Fanatic Vest vs Code of Silence Zone 7 Versa Vest

westkyguy

FNG
After about 20 years I have decided to revamp my hunting clothing. Being in KY it never gets what I call extremely cold. Most of the time during gun season, I have been comfortable wearing a base layer, grid fleece, and a thick weight hoodie. I'm working on upgrading clothing for each facet of the season, but am curious about the above to items (Sitka Fanatic Vest vs Code of Silence Versa Vest).
For mid to late season, I will be wearing this vest over the Code of Silence Verdigre Hoodie (unless rain, crazy wind, or unusually cold). I feel like the Fanatic Vest will provide more warmth and the kangroo pocket would be awesome. But, I feel like the Versa Vest could possibly be used in a wider window of applications. Any one have experience with both and have feedback?

Side Note: I was really wanting to go more neutral tones and avoid a lot of camo this time, but the price point vs quality of the Code stuff is really sucking me in i think...

fatlander

WKR
The fanatic vest is probably my favorite piece of whitetail specific bowhunting clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
I have the COS vest. Im pretty impressed with it. I question their "wind seal" technology, as it does not pass my test of whether or not I can blow air through the fabric. However it does seem to block the wind very dang well. It has a robust durable feel to it and is very warm. The price points are very different on the two items you mention. I bought the vest on sale for $60! I actually bought a large at full price ($120), didn't love the fit, so I ordered a medium when the went on sale days later. Large is new with tags. I will ship it to someone for $80.

Is the fanatic better? It dang sure better be for the price difference.

OP
W

westkyguy

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I am probably going to take a little while and watch some classifieds and see if a fanatic shows up. Still torn as I feel the Versa may be more useful in a wider temperature window.

mgmicky

FNG
I’m in NE TN, so probably similar weather to where you are. Most of my hunting is 2500-4500 ‘ elevation, so we get big temperature swings and often a lot of wind. I have the Fanatic vest and think it’s awesome, but it doesn’t get worn a whole lot. It’s a little bulky and warm for most of our season but I’m glad I have it when needed. I wish I would have had it for the 25 years I hunted northern Michigan.

Chromeslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the fanatic vest...i own alotta sitka stuff and its by far my favorite

TSAMP

WKR
Whats your size? They are sized completely opposite. I have a COS and the guy behind the design sized it exactly like he did with the cabelas berber and wooltimate line. The medium fits like a large and they dont make a small. Lot of space in the belly region on me on the COS but it was only 60 bucks so I kept it.

If you're a bigger guy it's a no brainer to try the COS for the price.

I'm 5'9 165 Lbs and am a large in kuiu tops for reference.

Agree with TSAMP, COS sizing is "generous" but well-suited for layering whereas Sitka seems to be most fashionable fitting.

OP
W

westkyguy

FNG
Whats your size? They are sized completely opposite. I have a COS and the guy behind the design sized it exactly like he did with the cabelas berber and wooltimate line. The medium fits like a large and they dont make a small. Lot of space in the belly region on me on the COS but it was only 60 bucks so I kept it.

If you're a bigger guy it's a no brainer to try the COS for the price.

I'm 5'9 165 Lbs and am a large in kuiu tops for reference.
I am your same size; that is very helpful thank you.

OP
W

westkyguy

FNG
FWIW I ended up picking up a fanatic vest. Super nice. I think it’s gonna allow me to cover most of the season without a heavy coat which I like. Haha I might still end up picking up a Code vest for a little warmer conditions. We shall see. Thank y’all for the help.

TSAMP

WKR
FWIW I ended up picking up a fanatic vest. Super nice. I think it’s gonna allow me to cover most of the season without a heavy coat which I like. Haha I might still end up picking up a Code vest for a little warmer conditions. We shall see. Thank y’all for the help.
What size did you choose for the Fanatic? How's the fit?

OP
W

westkyguy

FNG
I chose the medium. I'm 5'9'' 170. I don't like to swim in my clothes and prefer a more athletic fit. I tried it on last night with base layer, grid fleece, Verdigre hoodie and that over top and it worked. I wouldn't have been able to comfortably fit any more under it, but that's about the max layering I plan with it anyway.

And to one of the other above comments, yes, if the Code vest goes back on sale for $60 ill pick one up immediately. I just really like vests. haha What honestly swayed me to the fanatic was the kangaroo pocket. I don't like gloves much. That is why I have always liked a hoodie as my outer if I can get away with it, because of the front pockets.