Sitka changing their business model?

jpengel

FNG
Heard a rumor that Sitka was changing their business model to 'direct to consumer' only. Also that they are going to be putting less focus on the lightweight/mountain hunting line.

Anyone know anything?

TheTone

WKR
Less focus on mountain hunting I can kinda believe. The amount of whitetail, waterfowl and casual/work-ish stuff they make now blows my mind. I own tons of Sitka stuff but haven’t bought much in the last couple years as I haven’t seen them really bring something out that I can’t cover with what I already have. I’ve got a bunch of stuff that is 15+ years old and still works and looks fine

Ho5tile1

WKR
If they lower the cost some I’m all for it but we see others who are direct to consumer and it’s just as expensive for the most part. I have a ton of Sitka and kuiu. I have several tops and bottoms from first lite stone glacier kings badlands pnuma forloh and kryptek. When I look at how much money I’ve spent just on clothes I get sick to my stomach. If my wife knew what I’ve spent she would leave me lol. The price of this stuff is crazy I’m a little smarter with my money now and there is no way ima pay what they want anymore. They charge so much cause dummies like me would pay it. There are a few things they have come out with I’d like to have but just can’t swallow the price anymore. There are other cheaper options out there now maybe not as nice as the top brands but they will get the job done for sure. If folks me included would stop paying there ridiculous prices they might change it. They charge that much cause they can not cause it cost them a ton to make it. I like forloh and there stuff is well made in America but dame they might be more expensive then Sitka. I just got a pair of forloh boxers to try out they are like 40 bucks yes they are well made but gosh dame. First lite boxers are the same I have like 4 pairs of there’s and they are way over priced as well. Badlands had the algus boxer best boxer I’ve ever worn 26 bucks but they stopped making them. Sry for the rant but the prices are out of control…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jpengel

FNG
Would be real bad if they went direct to consumer and kept prices the same. I'm happy with the Sitka stuff I do have, but now only wait for sales, or you can find a non-hunting similar item for half price.

I'm guessing the mountain/ultralight hunting is a smaller demographic than the whitetail/casual etc like Tone mentioned. But they've also got Barklow and Fossman and other guys working with them that are mountain hunting focused so?

Hostile is spot on, hunting specific stuff is so expensive that if I am buying something I opt for solid colors now instead of camo to wear it year round.

Poser

WKR
I see no reason why Sitka would lower their prices going DTC. If folks have been paying $259 for a pair of timberlines, they'll continue to expect to pay that. I do imagine that for a short window, there will be some killer liquidation deals by retailers who have no reason to honor MSRP and approved sales prices due to the contract termination.

That will definitely open up the market place for a premium hunting brand to step into the retailer market. There will be a void everywhere from GoHunt to EuroOptic, Kenetrec, Sheels, various archery retailers etc and brick and mortars who are currently carrying Sitka gear will have a void.

Seems as if there is a lot more money to be made a "lifestyle brand" vs. technical hunting gear.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Jpengel is correct I also buy all solids the last couple years so they pull double duty I wear stone glacier pants to church as well as kuiu attacks and the other two light weight ones kutana and the one lighter then those. Along with others. The folks at church that don’t know anything about Sitka or much on hunting always tell me you always have the coolest pants on lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going DTC with the tremendous uptick in textile and mfg’s cost, is about the only way to make it.

Rough year like this year and they probably got millions going out the back door in margin support to their dealers also.

Only brick and mortar retail store making it is Scheels, they took one out of Cabelas page, and turned the stores into a destination experience, with that said they have best buyers out there, that are keeping up and coming brands front and center to attract costumes.. Freefly, vooluri, burlyboo etc

To me one of the reasons to look at Sitka as opposed to KUIU is that I van go to the store and put my hands on it and try it on. If Sitka went DYC only, I would buy less for sure. I do like their duck hunting waders though.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
To me one of the reasons to look at Sitka as opposed to KUIU is that I van go to the store and put my hands on it and try it on. If Sitka went DYC only, I would buy less for sure. I do like their duck hunting waders though.
The biggest reason I got into Sitka years ago was the fact that I could go into a couple local stores and try it on. Over the years that's still my go-to plan, especially when something new comes out. The way I mix-match my layers, I want to try on the same items in-store and see how they fit and if I need to go up or down in a size as I am often between sizes depending on the item (L or XL) or even regular vs tall in some cases.

This is the best way to shop if you can do it. I only buy through discount programs or like-new used items from guys here or sometimes on ebay if it's a good deal. If Sitka would go direct to consumer, I suppose I would still buy from them but only after reading a lot of reviews. Locally we have a national distributor of all sorts of gear, mainly archery products. They have a store-front and they usually have just about every Sitka model in stock (including a large selection of women's models/sizes) so that's an easy way to try out items.

Bass Pro is local as well but seems to carry less and less variety and that's been a trend there for the last two or three years. Virtually impossible to find much there and hardly worth the effort. I think it's mostly because they are pushing their own clothing in the "Instinct" line. That's nice stuff but not the Sitka quality, IMO. Sportsman's Warehouse has a better inventory and variety than Bass Pro, but is twice the distance. If I'm in that area I will often stop by to see what's available to touch/try out and sometimes snag a deep discount.

Sitka is over priced for sure. Moving direct to consumer isn’t going to change that. You got guys dropping thousands on their gear to walk 300 yards and set for whitetails As is. They ain’t giving that market share away. Nor should they. They are good at it.

Concerning their mountain clothes, I’ve never liked their offerings much. If you are layered up in fitted clothing, it suck’s when it’s flopping around throughout the body but painted on tight through the shoulders and arms. That’s the way it fits me anyway.