Sitka Arrowhead Equipment MDWi Hoody Review, By Mike Moore

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a little more info :)

I was hiking yesterday in an unexpected light rain. Shorter hike so didn't bring a pack, so no windshirt or hardshell, just the MDWi hoody as the exterior garment.

While I certainly wouldn't recommend this garment for precipitation (save maybe drier snow), I was pleasantly surprised. Granted this was a very light rain, but pretty steady for roughly an hour. The DWR had the rain (again very light) beading up pretty nicely, a few small spots here and there eventually wetted out, but I remained dry (as did the Direct insulation).

When the rain quit towards the end of my hunt, the few spots that were wetted out- dried very (very) quickly! No doubt the heat from my body moving through the garment and drying the wet spots.

We've had several days warmer than normal (flirted with 60 degrees a few times) and saw the need for less insulation, so I ordered one of their vests :D

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks for the review @mtwarden
What windshirt do you pair with the MDWi?
Also, for reference, I'm wondering if you would provide your height and weight as well as the size of your jacket I like the looks of the fit in your pictures and am trying to gauge my size.
Again, thanks for the review.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you're most welcome :)

Black Diamond Alpine Start windshirt- a little sturdier than the uberlight wind shirts out there and a good balance between breathability and weather resistance

5'11" 180-ish; I have the Large which is just about perfect fit- they run a little trim as it's designed to wear under a hardshell or windshirt

I'd say if a person sits right between sizes, might be worth going up

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's an XL- I had a Large which worked great with just a base layer, but the XL is a better fit when I'm trying to get it over a mid layer and puffy

Great review @mtwarden. Very interesting garment. The closest comparison I have found in Australia where I hunt is the Macpac Pisa Polartec Jacket

I'm curious based on specs at least what you would say the fundamental differences between these 2 garments may be?

Inner FabricPolartec® Alpha® Direct Polyester — bluesign® certified
Inner Fabric Weight (g/m2)95
Main Fabric100% Nylon — bluesign® certified
Main Fabric Weight (g/m2)71
Secondary Fabric92% Nylon, 8% Elastane
Secondary Fabric Weight (g/m2)71
DWRDWR (C6)
Weight (g)380 (Size M)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks!

It appears they both use 90 weight Alpha Direct for the insulation. What's unknown is how breathable their outer fabric is. You'd just about have to have one in hand and wear it some to see.

I looked at a g/m2 to denier converter and 71 g/m2 is about 55d, so it has a heavier fabric for the outer vs the MDWi which is a 30d fabric.

Alpha Direct is a really good breathable insulation, but is going to be heavily dependent on it's performance as an active insulation on the outer fabric. You want first and foremost a breathable outer fabric; if you don't have that it defeats the purpose of the Alpha Direct which was purposely designed for moving.

Might be worth giving it a go if you can source them where you're at :)

Thanks!

It appears they both use 90 weight Alpha Direct for the insulation. What's unknown is how breathable their outer fabric is. You'd just about have to have one in hand and wear it some to see.

I looked at a g/m2 to denier converter and 71 g/m2 is about 55d, so it has a heavier fabric for the outer vs the MDWi which is a 30d fabric.

Alpha Direct is a really good breathable insulation, but is going to be heavily dependent on it's performance as an active insulation on the outer fabric. You want first and foremost a breathable outer fabric; if you don't have that it defeats the purpose of the Alpha Direct which was purposely designed for moving.

Might be worth giving it a go if you can source them where you're at :)
Thank you @mtwarden! If I could ask one more question, one thing I haven't fully understood is the disadvantage of the following approach:

Opt for the naked alpha direct garment (like the Macpac Nitro linked below) and pair with a very lightweight, breathable windbreaker shell. I.e. break the interior and exterior into 2 garments, rather than combine into 1?

In theory, this would give you maximum versatility, to ditch the shell when really pushing it on trail and need maximum breathability, and to put the windbreaker on when facing weather or brush.

No experience though, just conceptually makes sense, what do you think?

i.e. Macpac Nitro Alpha Direct Pullover + Macpac Whitcombe Quantam Air Whitcombe Windbreaker = Arrowhead MdWi?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's definitely a option; just remember the naked Direct is relatively fragile if your going to be in thick timber or the like- think old, loose knit sweater (easily snagged)

it is handy having it in one garment like this as it breathes great (but not as much as just Direct insulation would) but still affords protection to the insulation, some wind resistance and some precip (light precip) resistance

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden How would you compare this alpha direct MDWi hoody to a primaloft gold one like the Kelvin aerolite? I'm actually looking at the vests. thanks

Take this with at least some grain of salt as I haven't used any of the Aerolite lineup. My take is they are built for two different purposes (although there could certainly be some overlap). Alpha Direct is purpose built for use as an active insulation, Primaloft Gold is built for static (non- moving) insulation.

My guess would be the Aerolite would be warmer for the weight and block the wind better, but would be less effective for moving moisture.

As it's a vest and a lot of your torso isn't covered, you would get some moisture movement out of the remaining portion of your base layer (or even mid-layer) that is uncovered. Versus a jacket where a lot of movement with static insulation like Primaloft (or down)- you'll likely sweat a lot and possibly compromise that insulation.

Hi Mike,

Looking at this again and curious at what point of terrain would you NOT recommend wearing this, due to durability?

In pm you mentioned super thick timber, but just how much off trail, deadfall, etc. do you think is reasonable to expect from it?

For example, would you wear it for archery elk in Montana timber?

Thanks,

s

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Mike,

Looking at this again and curious at what point of terrain would you NOT recommend wearing this, due to durability?

In pm you mentioned super thick timber, but just how much off trail, deadfall, etc. do you think is reasonable to expect from it?

For example, would you wear it for archery elk in Montana timber?

Thanks,

s

If a person understands that the fabric is not bombproof and some care is taken- you'd be fine. Typically still hunting a person is being slow and cautious which obviously helps out as well.

I would definitely recommend not "busting brush" with it; in all likelihood it would get torn.

Same could be said for most wind shirts as well. I use a heavier denier windshirt for hunting, but I still need to be fairly cautious treading through thick timber.

@mtwarden For the “naked” direct interior insulation like the reviewed piece or the Kelvin Active Hoody - what have you found to be the best base layer? Does something light and wicking like the core lightweight series work better with the insulation or is it possible to wear a merino piece or even a grid fleece underneath? Or is it just personal preference and dependent on the level of activity?

Great review and thanks for taking the time to respond to people’s questions!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden For the “naked” direct interior insulation like the reviewed piece or the Kelvin Active Hoody - what have you found to be the best base layer? Does something light and wicking like the core lightweight series work better with the insulation or is it possible to wear a merino piece or even a grid fleece underneath? Or is it just personal preference and dependent on the level of activity?

Great review and thanks for taking the time to respond to people’s questions!

I think the thinner the better so the Alpha Direct can best do it's job. I think a thin merino or thin synthetic; I use the Core Lightweight and definitely works well with it.

On sale now

id_jon

WKR
On sale now
Holy smokes thats a deal!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I posted this in an other thread, but got an email from Sitka Arrowhead - sounds like they're dissolving Arrowhead and the military line and concentrating just on the hunting.

Someone saw a new piece coming out by Sitka that could be the MDWi in disguise- was called the Sitka Ambient, supposedly comes out tomorrow.