Mid-Layer Shootout Review ***Updated 2/18/23***

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome Review!! Seems like the ambient beat out the Stone Glacier?
Thanks!

Depends. The SG was warmer and more wind resistant; the Ambient did better moving moisture. I can definitely see scenarios where I would choose one over the other :)

Gents - the fine folks from Rokslide have asked me to do a mid-layer shootout and I agreed. We were hoping to complete it in the Spring when the weather was more favorable (cooler temps), but were waiting on a few additional mid-layers. We still haven't received the Kuiu 240 yet.

Thus far we've got the First Lite Origin hoody, Sitka Heavyweight hoody and the Sitka Arrowhead MDWi hoody (that I reviewed earlier).

I want to look at several things, but near the top are warmth/weight and moisture movement. I think I might have a pretty slick way to compare moisture movement. I had an ah ha moment after I was swept by a fast moving stream this past winter. I was wet up to my neck, base layer soaked. I put on a mid-layer and started hiking (hard) for ~ two hours and lo behold, my base layer was very close to being fully dry.

I'm not volunteering for any swift water sweeps :D, but my thought is taking a base layer (using the same one each time) soaking it with water-, writing it slightly and weighing it (insuring that each time the garment weighs the same). Putting it on and donning one of the mid-layers. Using a 4-5 mile route (again using the same route & pace each time) and then weighing both the base layer and mid-layer. Obviously the lighter each is (less moisture), the better. I'll do my best to keep environmental conditions as close to the same each time- temperature, humidity, etc.

Anyways Robby suggested starting a q & a thread to get ideas from folks on testing, other possible candidates, etc.

As summer is almost here in Montana, probably realistically looking at September to give this a go.

***Update*** The four pieces included in the review are the OR Vigor Hoodie, the First Lite Origin Hoody, the Sitka Ambient Hoody, and the Stonge Glacier Cirque Lite Jacket.

Mid-Layer Shootout Review

Thanks
Mike
Great article Mike. Really enjoyed your insights. I think the stone glacier helio should have been tested in the review. But you have broken everything down very well. Thanks!

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
@mtwarden , have any of these replaced your affinity for the Patagonia Nano-Air Light Hoodie of yesteryear? Edged ahead of it in overall preference?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden , have any of these replaced your affinity for the Patagonia Nano-Air Light Hoodie of yesteryear? Edged ahead of it in overall preference?

The Nano Air light is unique in that it uses very (very) light Alpha insulation- 40 g/m, so for very high aerobic activities it's the bomb. The new Ambient UL is using 60 g/m, so it's pretty light insulation as well, the Ambient & MDWi for reference are using 100 g/m.

The Ambient UL is using Alpha Direct so doesn't need in an interior fabric like the Patagonia piece, which shaves ~ 2 oz off of the jacket vs the Patagonia. The UL is also full zip which is a plus (Patagonia is a pullover).

I think in the hunting realm, the Ambient UL is a better bet (and in colder weather hunting, the Ambient 100/MDWi). For cross country skiing or the like, a slight edge still might go to the Nano Air Light- of course that piece was discontinued several years ago and looks like no return in sight.