Mid-Layer Shootout Review ***Updated 2/18/23***

Great review! I am anxious to read your cirque lite review a little more. I run a Sitka merino or synthetic, depending on conditions, and helio hoody over the top. I consider the helio more a mid-weight and then the cirque would go over that for more insulation. I have been toying running the cirque lite jacket or vest. Just not sure about the vest. Any thoughts? For the wind shirts you mentioned (thanks for adding what you use), I have heard that a couple times now but I gave up a soft shell. Now I am trying to buck the wind. Thanks again!

Hey @mtwarden great review! Am honestly surprised by the FL Origin hoody's performance. Description seemed a lot like the Sitka Heavyweight Hoody and I didn't expect much difference in performance but seems more versatile given face fabric!

Now your review is in, did you notice much performance difference between your Sitka Arrowhead jacket and the Sitka Ambient Hoody?

Ambient seems awesome but man that price is a tough pill to swallow.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents!
Great review! I am anxious to read your cirque lite review a little more. I run a Sitka merino or synthetic, depending on conditions, and helio hoody over the top. I consider the helio more a mid-weight and then the cirque would go over that for more insulation. I have been toying running the cirque lite jacket or vest. Just not sure about the vest. Any thoughts? For the wind shirts you mentioned (thanks for adding what you use), I have heard that a couple times now but I gave up a soft shell. Now I am trying to buck the wind. Thanks again!

I haven't had the Helio in hand, but if it's in the realm of Patagonia's Thermal weight top (also what I would call more a mid-weight base layer)- I think it would work with either the Cirque Lite jacket or vest. If it's more like Sitka's Heavyweight- it might be a bit much to layer both with the jacket, I think it would work with the vest though. Vests are just easier to layer over.

Hey @mtwarden great review! Am honestly surprised by the FL Origin hoody's performance. Description seemed a lot like the Sitka Heavyweight Hoody and I didn't expect much difference in performance but seems more versatile given face fabric!

Now your review is in, did you notice much performance difference between your Sitka Arrowhead jacket and the Sitka Ambient Hoody?

Ambient seems awesome but man that price is a tough pill to swallow.

Yup- the Origin did well :) I didn't notice any performance difference between the Ambient and the MDWi- very similar insulation (and insulation weight), the outer fabrics are a little different, but both breathe about the same and both shed wind/light precip decently.

I give the MDWi a slight advantage because I prefer full zips to pullovers, but that's just my preference.

sr80

WKR
I recently got the cirque lite a few weeks ago and ive been using it a lot since then. And i prefer it the way you would want to use it. As an outer layer vs mid. I use a synthetic base and then have been wearing the ambient as a mid and the cirque lite over that ( only because its been pretty cold here lately ) but once it warms up i will wear the synthetic base, helio hoody and then the cirque lite over that. Im quite surprised how well the cirque lite blocks the wind, except under the arms where it is the helio material. It breathes pretty damn well with the grid fleece side panels.

Thanks Gents!

I haven't had the Helio in hand, but if it's in the realm of Patagonia's Thermal weight top (also what I would call more a mid-weight base layer)- I think it would work with either the Cirque Lite jacket or vest. If it's more like Sitka's Heavyweight- it might be a bit much to layer both with the jacket, I think it would work with the vest though. Vests are just easier to layer over.

Yup- the Origin did well :) I didn't notice any performance difference between the Ambient and the MDWi- very similar insulation (and insulation weight), the outer fabrics are a little different, but both breathe about the same and both shed wind/light precip decently.

I give the MDWi a slight advantage because I prefer full zips to pullovers, but that's just my preference.
Thanks! I would compare it to the Patagonia over the heavy weight Sitka (I have both). The helio is similar grid fleece. I appreciate the input. Next time I am in Bozeman I am going to see how the vest works or the armed version. I used to love vests, just not sure about them anymore.

I recently got the cirque lite a few weeks ago and ive been using it a lot since then. And i prefer it the way you would want to use it. As an outer layer vs mid. I use a synthetic base and then have been wearing the ambient as a mid and the cirque lite over that ( only because its been pretty cold here lately ) but once it warms up i will wear the synthetic base, helio hoody and then the cirque lite over that. Im quite surprised how well the cirque lite blocks the wind, except under the arms where it is the helio material. It breathes pretty damn well with the grid fleece side panels.
So you feel it bucks the wind okay? Are you planning to put a puffy on over the top if it is really blowing or something else?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Gents!

Thanks Gents!

The Helio is closer to the Sitka Heavyweight top than the Patagonia Thermal weight top, but it doesn’t feel as thick to me. I was able to wear the Helio as an outer layer early in the morning/later evening during early season and as an insulating layer during late season.

The Helio is closer to the Sitka Heavyweight top than the Patagonia Thermal weight top, but it doesn’t feel as thick to me. I was able to wear the Helio as an outer layer early in the morning/later evening during early season and as an insulating layer during late season.
I think you’re right on the thickness. My heavyweight makes me sweat and I find it super heavy for most of my uses unless it’s close to zero. I am a hot temperature person though. Makes comparing tough. I am like you, for the helio, I can wear it almost all September as my outer layer over my base. Early September, it’s my base/mid. After that, it’s my mid over base. Great discussion!

sr80

WKR
So you feel it bucks the wind okay? Are you planning to put a puffy on over the top if it is really blowing or something else?
yeah blocks wind pretty decently for how thin it is. I would use a warmer puffy for sure if i stopped in these temps. I used it yesterday under my shell skiing and worked great for that. I was really on the fence with the cirque lite because i have the atom LT. I wore the atom LT more as go to town jacket and never really wore it hiking/hunting. CL and the atom have very similar specs. I do find the CL warmer and breathes better than the atom ( although the atom i have is probably 7 years old ). The outer material on the CL is definitely more durable feeling. I am glad i bought the CL, it makes me want the regular cirque now...next year!

Bbell12

WKR
Too bad you didn't get to test the Kenai jacket, would have been great to compare it to the Ambient and CL. I've got one and love it.

sr80

WKR
I think you’re right on the thickness. My heavyweight makes me sweat and I find it super heavy for most of my uses unless it’s close to zero. I am a hot temperature person though. Makes comparing tough. I am like you, for the helio, I can wear it almost all September as my outer layer over my base. Early September, it’s my base/mid. After that, it’s my mid over base. Great discussion!
i agree with the heavy weight, makes me sweat and overheat too. It used to be my go to mid, until the helio came out. The helio is a tad lighter weight fleece, breathes much better than the heavyweight. When its really cold, like -15 C and below, i wore the helio as a base layer under an ambient hoody. Man, that was an amazing combo. I couldnt believe how well the ambient pulled the moisture from that helio, i was working up a sweat and that helio stayed completely dry. I had zero coldness against the skin when stopping.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How small does the ambient hoody pack down? Compared to a fleece?

For equal warmth, it packs smaller- the Ambient was the lightest entry and would pack up smaller than the other entries. A really light fleece might pack as small, but won't be as warm (weight for weight)

I can put the Ambient in a small 2 liter dry bag w/o any problem.

AQCPCmf.jpg

For equal warmth, it packs smaller- the Ambient was the lightest entry and would pack up smaller than the other entries. A really light fleece might pack as small, but won't be as warm (weight for weight)

I can put the Ambient in a small 2 liter dry bag w/o any problem.

AQCPCmf.jpg
Nice thanks! And excellent beer choice

My daughter went to school with the owner/brewer in Miles City (his dad had a small brewery in MC). Really nice kid and now he's rich :D
I've met him and actually heard the MC backstory, small world. We used to frequent that place a little too often