Sitka Ambient UL 60 Hoody

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks—mostly my BD Alpine Start; it kind of hits the middle ground for breathability, durability and weight

But more and more, I find myself using the Sitka Evo—more soft-shell than windshirt, but breathes pretty good, more durable and better protection from precip vs the Alpine Start

TOLeary

WKR

Welp.. time to see how this compares. This might cover more temp ranges like the dynafit mentioned above. The dynafit does have a better fit than the hoody and the cuffs are a lot nicer, which have always bothered me on the ambients. Another early season piece to try that’s similar is the Arcteryx Delta Hybrid hoody. It’s discontinued but 40% off right now on REI. One of my favorite early season pieces and if people are a fan of grid fleeces under a wind or active layer it’ll fit good there as well

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ll chime in on the dynafit - need some color ways without blue but I’ve been testing one I got on clearance and have been really, really impressed. Totally agree on the cut and trim mentioned as well, much better. It does quite well in wind and super varied in temp ranges.

On the new Sitka piece, I have to rant a bit - looks like something a little more versatile on temp range than the 100 weight or original hoody, which can only be additive. I don’t for the life of me WHY we need 18 different versions of ambient this, ambient that pieces, buts it’s super on brand for Sitka to do that (they were bragging a couple years ago about thinning down big game options). What’s different from the UL 60 version? I think it’s an evolution of the design ideas - which is good, but aren’t they always telling us these pieces are field tested multiple seasons? Doesn’t seem like it with the constant new releases. To be fair I complained when they didn’t do jack with the big game line for 2yr+ a while back…..but a new ambient every 4-6mo is a bit much.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking with Sitka they said they had some leftover 60 gram Alpha insulation from their old military line that they used up on the first iteration of the "UL". They made as many 60 hoodies as they could and sold them out.

Looks like this iteration is Evolve (75 gram) , which for all practical purposes is the same as Alpha-slightly heavier insulation, but wouldn't expect a lot of difference.

TOLeary

WKR
I’ll chime in on the dynafit - need some color ways without blue but I’ve been testing one I got on clearance and have been really, really impressed. Totally agree on the cut and trim mentioned as well, much better. It does quite well in wind and super varied in temp ranges.

On the new Sitka piece, I have to rant a bit - looks like something a little more versatile on temp range than the 100 weight or original hoody, which can only be additive. I don’t for the life of me WHY we need 18 different versions of ambient this, ambient that pieces, buts it’s super on brand for Sitka to do that (they were bragging a couple years ago about thinning down big game options). What’s different from the UL 60 version? I think it’s an evolution of the design ideas - which is good, but aren’t they always telling us these pieces are field tested multiple seasons? Doesn’t seem like it with the constant new releases. To be fair I complained when they didn’t do jack with the big game line for 2yr+ a while back…..but a new ambient every 4-6mo is a bit much.
I completely agree with the multiple options after saying they’ve been tested. Doesn’t make sense to have so many variations if that’s the case. But also could be nice to have multiple options from the same company.. The hoody is a little too hot for me unless full cold weather hiking but it also works well for deer hunting in the south when it gets “cold”. I never got to try the 60. But the 75 with weight of the insulation and design of where the wind blocking material seems like the best out of all the designs - just like the dynafit. The full zip on the dynafit is also much nicer for me when taking on and off

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Speaking with Sitka they said they had some leftover 60 gram Alpha insulation from their old military line that they used up on the first iteration of the "UL". They made as many 60 hoodies as they could and sold them out.

Looks like this iteration is Evolve (75 gram) , which for all practical purposes is the same as Alpha-slightly heavier insulation, but wouldn't expect a lot of difference.
Here I just rip on them, ha - glad to hear the explanation, and I’d agree the new evolution of a “test”piece makes sense, released with the material they used on the rest of these.

More broadly, I’ve been surprised with these lighter direct/unfaced insulation pieces just how versatile they can be. With just a short sleeve tee underneath they seem to do quite well. I like the mapping with fleece more than the entire piece being insulated.

OP
K

Kostrize

WKR
Surprised it’s not an Ambient Evo with a full breathable back panel and active insulation/weather resistant paneling on the front, outer sleeves, hood. Maybe that will be next season’s iteration

TXCO

WKR
The 75 design/layout seems better than the 60. I love my 100 and not sure if this can replace it in my pack, even for early season hikes.

ChrisAU

WKR
I had the 75 in my cart, but I really don't see anything taking me off the MDWi train. Full zip and hand pockets are just worth the weight IMO.

TXCO

WKR
The 75 seems like it would be good for when wearing a pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk