Single Bevel vs Double Bevel

WoodBow

WKR
The reason DB is easier for me to sharpen is because for me it is easier to remove the burr when sharpening both sides. If you do not have a burr to remove, you do not have a head that is as sharp as it could be (speaking of resharpening or sharpening a head that is not truly sharp from factory). SB makes it very hard to remove the burr without dulling the edge.

At the end of the day it's all personal preference. Every single animal i killed with SB would have also died with a DB, and vice versa.

Moose2367

Lil-Rokslider
Blood trails won't be any different whether SB or DB, it is a combination of shot placement and cutting width which helps here, placement over width also.

SB are stronger in the tip, as stated already. Shooting into wood or anything other than an animal means nothing for penetration on an actual animal.

I have shot both, a lot, i prefer SB for tip strength and edge retention. Sharpening either is easy and all bowhunters, IMO should know how to sharpen BH's instead of just replacing.

I shot a mud encrusted sow(pig) a couple of weeks ago, who was hiding in a rock cave, got a complete pass through and the arrow hit the rock wall and bounced back a couple of metres, broadhead was still sharp, tip undamaged and could be used again if need as is.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I had to look up what you were asking. I've never heard anybody ask about single or double bevel broardheads. I've been shooting Thunderhead 100s since '92 with excellent results. I don't worry about trying to sharpen the blades after I shoot them, either. That always seemed silly to me. Compared to other costs that are associated with hunting, replacement blades aren't expensive. If sharpen blades makes you happy, then have at it. :)

WoodBow

WKR
I had to look up what you were asking. I've never heard anybody ask about single or double bevel broardheads. I've been shooting Thunderhead 100s since '92 with excellent results. I don't worry about trying to sharpen the blades after I shoot them, either. That always seemed silly to me. Compared to other costs that are associated with hunting, replacement blades aren't expensive. If sharpen blades makes you happy, then have at it. :)

This topic only really applies to 2 blade heads. They do not have replacement blades.

You don't watch enough TV.

Yeah, I've been told that before. Really need to get back in touch with my (Mellenial) generation and adopt the views of pro staff gods. My only problem is that with the money I save by not having a cable bill I can afford more arrows, brass, powder, primers, and bullets. I can shoot a thousand rounds of 357 for what some of you guys pay for cable.

Beendare

WKR
The s cut is present on double bevels with helical fletch just as as much as with single bevels.

Well i take issue with your comment TBM. i've shot me share of critters with a 2 blade dbl bevel head and helical fletching...and I have never had the 'S' shaped holes that some of those single bevel heads seem to get.

The reason DB is easier for me to sharpen is because for me it is easier to remove the burr when sharpening both sides. If you do not have a burr to remove, you do not have a head that is as sharp as it could be ......
^^^ agreed

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes it is just fun to try new things. I like telling my buddies all about how the SB is supposed to the best BH design out there. Kinda makes me feel smart I my own little way. Anyways I need the shoot some more critters with SB.

OP
Jeff Martin
Well i take issue with your comment TBM. i've shot me share of critters with a 2 blade dbl bevel head and helical fletching...and I have never had the 'S' shaped holes that some

Agreed!!

When did the "L" cut become a "S"? That is a neat trick! One sided Bevel now can rotate 2 ways :). Technically wouldn't it be an "U" if the arrows keeps turning?

Just having fun! It is "kinda" the off season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The single bevel heads rotate MUCH more on impact than any double bevel possibly could. They also produce huge torque on big animals. How do I know this? Simple....

Every animal I hit with a single bevel broadhead gets spun around 180 degrees on impact and runs the opposite direction. That is proof. Right?

:D :D :D.......... ;)

I think it is just more noticeable on the wide heads. I will take a pic when I kill one. I have a single bevel Simmons and I will shoot it and compare

jmez

WKR
Anyone use SB for a compound?

I shot the Strickland Helix last summer out of my compound. They flew very well. I decided against using them based on durability. I shoot my broadheads all the time. Plain and simple, repeated shooting of a broadhead into a foam target is hard on blades. Has been the primary reason I've stayed away from heads that don't have a replaceable blade.

After about 6 weeks a couple of the Helix heads had a severe roll/burr to the edge and one had pretty good tip damage. Enough so that I was going to have to take a lot of material off the blade to even consider using it on an animal. So I could designate practice heads and replace them as needed or just stick to replaceable blades and swap blades. I elected to just switch blades.

I'm now shooting VPA three blades and they have been much better in this regard but time will tell how they hold up.

Beendare....anything to keep guys from taking the whole discussion too seriously. Often, what could be a learning thing turns into a debate thing and degrades from there. I've seen some pretty silly arguments and insults traded on other forums....but you know all that too.

I think most of the debate is centered around unproven contentions on each side of the 1 vs 2 thing. When I decided to try a SB head I went into it with my eyes open and just figured to judge things according to my results...more or less objective stuff. I never expected to split a bull's leg bone or bust a buff scapula...but admit I held some hope a SB head would help me in those type hits. Maybe it does but I think anyone buying them in the belief they are 4x better bone-busters is asking for disappointment. The S-cut is real and I've personally seen it several times in the animals I have killed. I'm not brave enough to say an S-cut kill is any better or deader than an I-cut. Maybe it's just style points, eh? I don't care. I shoot the Abowyer almost totally due to their strength, heft, quality and lack of any shortcomings I can identify. I can't prove the SB edge is better. I can prove it works extremely well and is durable enough to shoot through the bodies of deer, coyotes, black bear, moose and turkey while retaining a hair-cutting edge after completing the mission.

In one case I shot a good black bear at a bait site using a 55# recurve and carbon shafts. I double-lunged the bear, hitting just above the heart. The broadhead passed through and slammed into the heavy blue poly barrel...stopping in the middle of the barrel. I should have taken a photo of the S-cut in the barrel...it was pretty dramatic what with the shape, black hair and blood spray around it. I worked for 15 minutes to recover that broadhead...the head in this picture:
bhead.jpg

By the way...black bear is extremely delicious and we've been enjoying it regularly. I recommend guys take their double bevels, single bevels and go getcha some!

OP
Jeff Martin
Beendare....anything to keep guys from taking the whole discussion too seriously. Often, what could be a learning thing turns into a debate thing and degrades from there. I've seen some pretty silly arguments and insults traded on other forums....but you know all that too.

I think most of the debate is centered around unproven contentions on each side of the 1 vs 2 thing. When I decided to try a SB head I went into it with my eyes open and just figured to judge things according to my results...more or less objective stuff. I never expected to split a bull's leg bone or bust a buff scapula...but admit I held some hope a SB head would help me in those type hits. Maybe it does but I think anyone buying them in the belief they are 4x better bone-busters is asking for disappointment. The S-cut is real and I've personally seen it several times in the animals I have killed. I'm not brave enough to say an S-cut kill is any better or deader than an I-cut. Maybe it's just style points, eh? I don't care. I shoot the Abowyer almost totally due to their strength, heft, quality and lack of any shortcomings I can identify. I can't prove the SB edge is better. I can prove it works extremely well and is durable enough to shoot through the bodies of deer, coyotes, black bear, moose and turkey while retaining a hair-cutting edge after completing the mission.

In one case I shot a good black bear at a bait site using a 55# recurve and carbon shafts. I double-lunged the bear, hitting just above the heart. The broadhead passed through and slammed into the heavy blue poly barrel...stopping in the middle of the barrel. I should have taken a photo of the S-cut in the barrel...it was pretty dramatic what with the shape, black hair and blood spray around it. I worked for 15 minutes to recover that broadhead...the head in this picture:
View attachment 43791

By the way...black bear is extremely delicious and we've been enjoying it regularly. I recommend guys take their double bevels, single bevels and go getcha some!

Kev,
Great post. If you read my original post, it was in the spirit of learning and open mindedness. I did want any of this to become personal - ever.

I will say, perhaps if you had the "U" cut, it might be more deadly. Lol

I just ordered a 100 grain Bishop archery SB head to try this SB idea out! I still have 3 more doe tags in my pocket with 3 weeks left!! Stay hungry my friends :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Kevin's post as well. That mindset is exactly how one needs to approach when experimenting with new equipment. That said, I think there are some obvious benefits of the single bevel such as the tip. There is just no way to leave that much material at the tip with double bevel. It is such an improvement over doubl bevel tips that I have considered single near the tip and transition to db to keep from loosing width.

Another thing the sb might indicate is we should be seeking a keener bevel edge with out db. My experience shows a keen super sharp edge is often sharper coming out than a 30 degree bevel can be going in and single bevel backs that up. Keen edges might allow for better initial hide punching and momentum is carried through and evough energy is retained to bust bones on the opposite side... that could be the reason for busting bones as much as the tip.

I might see if Dave will single bevel a few Simmons for me. Should be easy switch as all he would have to do is turn the water off on 2 sides.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, some good commentary.....I like the tone in which this thread was started and continued....

The curved cut those single bevels make is undeniable from what I've seen.....whether its a big advantage or not....??????

I think we all have stopping points in advancement and dedication... Single bevel is where I stopped, just because it takes effort and the benefit is minimal. My biggest gain was shooting size1 1/2+, design(concave). If I can get some Simmons made in single bevel I think that will be the summit for me.