Significant weight loss.

Drak

FNG
Awesome work and commitment to the goal! But don’t sweat the numbers too much. Muscle is heavy so if you’re exercising more I wouldn’t expect weight loss from that. Even consider avoiding the scale while eating healthy and keeping active for a couple weeks.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Nearly there!
I'm down to 203, as of this morning.

Before:
4.jpg

A couple of days ago: 5.jpg

I feel insanely good, comparatively, these days. Hardly any to zero joint pain, I'm exercising way more than I ever have & my motivation to do so has never been higher! I'm really hoping I can hit 199 before my 50th, next month.
I'm down from an XXL t-shirt to a large & from a 42" waist to 35. Hell, even my socks fit better! 😄

LeoGarben

FNG
Hey, nice progress. It's true, focusing solely on the scale can be misleading, especially when you're building muscle through exercise. Muscle does weigh more than fat, so sometimes the scale doesn't reflect your efforts accurately.

LeoGarben

FNG
Hey, nice progress. It's true, focusing solely on the scale can be misleading, especially when you're building muscle through exercise. Muscle does weigh more than fat, so sometimes the scale doesn't reflect your efforts accurately.
It's a good idea to gauge progress through how your clothes fit or how you feel physically and mentally. Consistency with healthy eating and staying active will definitely pay off in the long run. Regarding oral steroids, if that's something you're considering, make sure to consult with a healthcare professional to understand the risks and benefits properly.

Weldor

WKR
I'm 6' 4" 245lbs. Have held the weight since I was about 25 when I got out of the service. Now at 63 seems like I'm carrying to much weight. Doc says lose 10 lbs. I eat one meal a day, have done that forever. We don't buy store bought meat, eat only venison, and wild pork. Do eat fish and salads ,fruit. Best I can lose is about 5 lbs. and it fluxuates. Exercise, swin walk. No heavy stuff broke my back twice and one failed surgery. Otherwise feel pretty good 37" waist ,46-7 inch chest. Anyone know if Gabapentin makes you hold weight? Doc's all have different opinions.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I'm 6' 4" 245lbs. Have held the weight since I was about 25 when I got out of the service. Now at 63 seems like I'm carrying to much weight. Doc says lose 10 lbs. I eat one meal a day, have done that forever. We don't buy store bought meat, eat only venison, and wild pork. Do eat fish and salads ,fruit. Best I can lose is about 5 lbs. and it fluxuates. Exercise, swin walk. No heavy stuff broke my back twice and one failed surgery. Otherwise feel pretty good 37" waist ,46-7 inch chest. Anyone know if Gabapentin makes you hold weight? Doc's all have different opinions.
There's actually a very solid chance, you're not eating enough!

Marble

WKR
I take gabapebtin, and it does not make me hold weight.

If you could reduce your calories to 1500ish, you would probably shed 1-2 lbs per week.

Most people have no idea what their portions really are, and they don't understand what different foods do. You do not need 8-15oz of meat in the evening. Not saying you do.

If you do not eat multiple meals a day, your body may start making certain hormones that slow metabolism and promote energy storage instead of energy burning. Multiple meals keep a fire going all day in your body.

Example of a diet plan to get around 1500 calories.

1 full cup egg whites
60 grams dry oats, almond milk, 30 grams of dried blue berries. Make at dinner time for the morning.

Two daytime meals:

5oz chicken, turkey burger, shrimp, tilapia, venison or other lean meat.
140 grams of brown rice
150 grams of vegetables

Night time meal is roughly the same. The carbohydrate changes to 5 oz of sweet potatoes.

If you are still hungry after dinner, eat more veggies

Little no dairy
No sugar
Be careful how you season your meals. Some sauces are 140 calories an oz.

For sweet treats I eat a teaspoon of raisins, some peanut or almond butter. Like a teaspoon.

Weight loss battles are won and lost in the kitchen. Not in the gym.

Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

If you could reduce your calories to 1500ish, you would probably shed 1-2 lbs per week.

Most people have no idea what their portions really are, and they don't understand what different foods do. You do not need 8-15oz of meat in the evening. Not saying you do.

If you do not eat multiple meals a day, your body may start making certain hormones that slow metabolism and promote energy storage instead of energy burning. Multiple meals keep a fire going all day in your body.

1 full cup egg whites
60 grams dry oats, almond milk, 30 grams of dried blue berries. Make at dinner time for the morning.

Two daytime meals:

140 grams of brown rice
150 grams of vegetables

Night time meal is roughly the same. The carbohydrate changes to 5 oz of sweet potatoes.

Little no dairy
No sugar

For sweet treats I eat a teaspoon of raisins, some peanut or almond butter. Like a teaspoon.

Good luck!!

Pretty much spot on!

Weldor

WKR

1 full cup egg whites

Two daytime meals:

140 grams of brown rice
150 grams of vegetables

Little no dairy
No sugar

Good luck!!

Wow, that sounds good. Never knew about eating mutiple meals. I usually don't eat a large meal in the evening, but sometimes I over eat. ( you know how it is when it's your favorite.) The wife is a good cook. I'm going set a program with the eggs etc. (free from the neighbors), don't eat sweets. Like like veggies so no problem there. I do eat yogart and fruit. I really appreciate the advise. Thanks.

Marble

WKR
Wow, that sounds good. Never knew about eating mutiple meals. I usually don't eat a large meal in the evening, but sometimes I over eat. ( you know how it is when it's your favorite.) The wife is a good cook. I'm going set a program with the eggs etc. (free from the neighbors), don't eat sweets. Like like veggies so no problem there. I do eat yogart and fruit. I really appreciate the advise. Thanks.
If you do eat the fruit and yogurt, be careful. Both are what I would consider to be "healthy". But some yogurt is full of fat and sugar and although the fruit is healthy, it's also full of sugars making it fairly caloric. So the point is, weigh your food so you know exactly what you are getting.

So if you were to replace one meal with fat-free greek yogurt and some fruit, I would suggest making it the night prior with rolled oats and fruit. Whatever, the caloric content is of that, it would replace something you were going to eat from my suggestions.

But the suggestions I made were based on overall protein, carb and fat content, along with the type of protein and carb.

If I need to sweeten anything, typically, it's with sugar-free maple syrup. And I have a huge sweet tooth also. I feel your pain!!

Another breakfast option is the kodiak protein waffles. These are awesome. Really good. I add cinnamon and vanilla to my mixture and sometimes a little nut butter. The waffle is eaten in place of the oats.

ben h

WKR
Congrats on your weight loss!

This year I've done a lot more than I have in the past to get in bettter shape and lose some weight in the process. I started in November 2023 and was around 212 and am somewhere around 185 now, but I've lost more fat and gained muscle in the process. For most of my weight loss, I tried to stick to a low carb diet and ate alot of veggies, salads, meat. I did use a scale to measue how much I was consuming in an effort to stay in a caloric deficit and I'll say I was suprised at how much I underestimated my calories when I was just guessing and not weiging portions. Snacks are something that was a real eye opener as well. 10 Ritz crackers with cheese is around 400-500 calories!

Last edited:

clarkbnd

FNG
Congrats!! Continue working. Don't get caught up on only a number - weight. The weight gets harder and harder the closer you come to your goal. Weight is one metric that is important but doesn't show the entirety of your health. Like you're doing, take note of how you feel, energy level, how long it takes you to recover after exertion, etc.

Rich M

WKR
Doing great Rob!!!

You are an inspiration I'm you in the before picture - 284 almost 2 weeks ago, 271 today. Headed for somewhere in the 200-220 range. I was 198 in high school. Not gonna try and beat that.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
GLP1 agonists are not perfect, but they sure beat the snot out of every previous weight loss drug and if they work for someone are less permanent than gastric surgery. Reduced all cause mortality, which GLP1 agonists provide in certain populations, is the gold standard for something doing more good than harm. If it helps people feel and live better getting to that result, well it is really hard to rationally argue with that.

He has the mentality that he busted his ass in construction his entire life so he earned relaxing and eating garbage. Don't think this way, you have to earn it daily.
I see this, and it is frustrating. I've seen it in some former SOF guys, you try to help them, and rather than being willing to go move more they just talk about how much they hurt and how badass they once were. I've also known some really badass old SOF guys.

Some times I really want to tell people 'I don't give half a mouse shit about who you were, I care about who you are and who you will be.' Not tried actually saying that. Of course, who someone was can often help understand who they are, the problem is when the past is used as an excuse in the present.

Awesome work and commitment to the goal! But don’t sweat the numbers too much. Muscle is heavy so if you’re exercising more I wouldn’t expect weight loss from that. Even consider avoiding the scale while eating healthy and keeping active for a couple weeks.
This^^^^^ and nice work @robtattoo

Muscle does weigh more than fat, so sometimes the scale doesn't reflect your efforts accurately.
I know what you mean, but what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of nails?