Sig rangefinder confusion

ID_Matt

WKR
I am sure others are aware of this and maybe I am dumb for not finding it out sooner. My sig kilo 5K has the applied ballistics built in which I use for closer shots - when it gets out further I switch to my kestrel. When target shooting (on a relatively flat surface) I always try to verify that my kestrel solution is in line with my rangefinder solution. When shooting steep angles this weekend I noticed it was quite a bit off between the 2, then noticed my buddy was getting a much different range. Long story short, when the rangefinder is in BDX mode that spits out the ballistic solution, it only gives you the LOS range and not the angle adjusted. So if using a dope chart or manually plugging in to a calculator, the rangefinder has to be set up on AMR mode which does not give you a solution. If I want to verify my solution, I would have to range in BDX mode, and then switch to AMR mode to get the angle adjusted range to plug in to a calculator. I know it fairly obviously states that in the owners manual but why wouldn't they have an option to use the angle compensated reading combined with the ballistic solution? Am I overthinking this?

josef

FNG
When in the BDX mode it displays LOS but it does include inclination in the ballistic solution.

Interesting. I haven't played around as much as I should have with my Kilo3000 binos. I knew it angle compensated when sending drop to my scopes, but didn't realize the displayed range value was only LOS.

I don't shoot far enough out to need to switch ballistic solvers, so I guess a non issue for me. However I am looking forward to upgrading needlessly to the new 10k...

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
When in the BDX mode it displays LOS but it does include inclination in the ballistic solution.
Right. I guess I just wish it displayed the "shoot to" range that factored angle in so I didn't have to switch modes in order to verify with my kestrel. Or another example, a buddy has a dope chart on his gun. If I range for him and give him the number from BDX mode, it will be off. I would have to switch back to AMR.

josef

FNG
Yah they do it that way because ballistic calculators dont use shot to distance. They use LOS and the inclination. If they just used just the AMR distance then they would calculate incorrectly for wind shift.

That's very frustrating... sounds like the kilo 2400 is better.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Use the applied ballistics solution the AMR is not accurate it’s just an approximation that is good to roughly 500 yds with angles less than 20 degrees. Anything over that it’s not a valid approximation. I think the biggest myth in shooting is the AMR it’s just a marketing ploy from years back.

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
Use the applied ballistics solution the AMR is not accurate it’s just an approximation that is good to roughly 500 yds with angles less than 20 degrees. Anything over that it’s not a valid approximation. I think the biggest myth in shooting is the AMR it’s just a marketing ploy from years back.
So manually input the LOS range and then manually input the angle to the kestrel is the best route?

Isn't it a fairly simple math equation to figure horizontal distance? Or why do you say AMR is not accurate? Or you're saying horizontal distance is not the best number to use.

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
That's very frustrating... sounds like the kilo 2400 is better.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I guess it's not a deal breaker. I can manually input the stuff, just wish it had the option to give the adjusted range and solution for quick verification. Or i can Bluetooth it to my kestrel and it will input it automatically.

More of an eye opening moment for me i guess. Like ahah, that's why the solutions don't always line up to each other! Just need to remember to be in the right mode for what I'm doing. Whether that be giving someone else a range or checking with my kestrel, etc.

I’m wondering why you need to verify your solution? That work should already be done at the range. In the field the 5k gets you out to 800 yards without a kestrel.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
So manually input the LOS range and then manually input the angle to the kestrel is the best route?

Isn't it a fairly simple math equation to figure horizontal distance? Or why do you say AMR is not accurate? Or you're saying horizontal distance is not the best number to use.
That’s exactly what you need to do! I will say I do not trust all ballistic solvers with this math though. AMR does not work when los distance is too much greater than the AMR distance. The bullet still has to travel the los distance and slows over that distance. Go shoot at 800+ yards and 25 degree angle you will miss with AMR every time. This is even worse with wind. Angled shots are extremely tricky. I will say I have proofed the ballistic ae solver and trust it.

I have the bdx 2200 and it’s the same way. The most aggravating part is if you’re ranging for a buddy you have to switch back and forth. It also takes several seconds for the moa to show up but you may be able to adjust that, not sure.

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
I’m wondering why you need to verify your solution? That work should already be done at the range. In the field the 5k gets you out to 800 yards without a kestrel.

I tend to trust my kestrel more for longer shots just because it factors in more environmental factors and has a wind meter. I have verified my rangefinder solutions on a flat range, but at 9,000 feet with a 20 mph wind, I just tend to want to double check I guess.

That’s exactly what you need to do! I will say I do not trust all ballistic solvers with this math though. AMR does not work when los distance is too much greater than the AMR distance. The bullet still has to travel the los distance and slows over that distance. Go shoot at 800+ yards and 25 degree angle you will miss with AMR every time. This is even worse with wind. Angled shots are extremely tricky. I will say I have proofed the ballistic ae solver and trust it.

This is great info. Thank you for that. Makes sense. Guess I just need to be more conscious of manually inputting the degree of flight to my kestrel or syncing it with the rangefinder so it does it automatically.

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
I have the bdx 2200 and it’s the same way. The most aggravating part is if you’re ranging for a buddy you have to switch back and forth. It also takes several seconds for the moa to show up but you may be able to adjust that, not sure.
That was exactly what brought this up actually. Ranging for a buddy who was using a pre printed dope chart and he is WAY high so he double checks with his rangefinder on AMR mode and got 100 yards less than I did.

svivian

WKR
I tend to trust my kestrel more for longer shots just because it factors in more environmental factors and has a wind meter. I have verified my rangefinder solutions on a flat range, but at 9,000 feet with a 20 mph wind, I just tend to want to double check I guess.

This is great info. Thank you for that. Makes sense. Guess I just need to be more conscious of manually inputting the degree of flight to my kestrel or syncing it with the rangefinder so it does it automatically.
Do you find the kestrel and ballistics calculator to be accurate with wind calls to 20MPH?

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
Do you find the kestrel and ballistics calculator to be accurate with wind calls to 20MPH?
To be honest, when wind is a big factor I will always use the kestrel and trust it 100%. I have never really checked with inputting wind manually in to the sig calculator but I would assume it is close since they use the same applied ballistics.

6.5x284

WKR
I’d just proof your RF against your Kestrel for a full day of random target shooting. My guess is when you’re done you’ll be content just using the RF for solutions, or RF for all solutions but using the kestrel to input a wind value if it’s say over 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
I’d just proof your RF against your Kestrel for a full day of random target shooting. My guess is when you’re done you’ll be content just using the RF for solutions, or RF for all solutions but using the kestrel to input a wind value if it’s say over 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had proofed it for the most part on a flat range and am confident in the rangefinder until I need the wind readings. I guess this has turned from a complaining thread on my part to more of a PSA to make sure you input degree of flight in your kestrel when it spits out the range in BDX mode (that i thought was already adjusted for incline)