Sidearm caliber

So let me ask all you guys this, is anyone with an auto concerned about it jamming? I know some guys only take a revolver to the mountains because it will not jam on you.

As a general matter, I think revolvers are rightly regarded as more reliable and mechanically simple. They can and do jam though. Modern autos have come a long way in the reliability department and glock in particular has a well deserved reputation. Regardless, you really need to know how to shoot what you carry and part of that would be clearing a jam. I think shooting a few idpa or similar pistol matches is a great way to build and maintain gun handling skills.

On your original topic, how much of a problem are black bears in your AO? I hunt and hike in black bear country all the time and rarely carry anything specific for protection. I can only recall one instance of a black bear attack that was specifically predation - bear ate a college kid in NJ - any where near me. A couple of other instances where people have surprises a sow with cubs and gotten scratched up. Black bears in the north east tend to be more skittish and usually haul ass when the see hear or smell you.

In my mind the military and law enforcement would use revolvers if this was an issue.

And that's why they use the M-4?

I think it can be a concern for an auto to jam. Also a greater concern is trying to grab it in a quick situation and managing it hit the mag release, dropping the mag out. Think being in the dark, in a tent. Fumbling because you were startled from your slumber.

I feel comfortable with an auto. If it was a gun that I ever had issue with limp wristing I wouldn't do it. Probably only revolver I would carry would be a titanium one. I don't care for the weight of a wheel gun.

In the east the only time I carry while hiking in bear country is if I have the dog with me. I worry that his dumbass would do something stupid and piss off a bear. But as long as you don't surprise them they are generally pretty skiddish.

In the west sometimes I carry all the time, sometimes only when going back to a kill to haul meat. I haven't hunted grizzly country. Only black bear and cats to worry about. I think the cats are probably a bigger concern but don't worry too much about them as I figure they won't make their presence known; It will be too late by the time I know what is happening.

.357 sig or 10mm, solid bullet

Last edited:

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
An autoloader like Glock, H&K, S&W M&P are pretty reliable. That being said, I still like revolvers.

I've gone back and forth a little on this and somewhere I read about stopping a Grizzly Bear Charge you pretty much need a deep penetrating shot in the CNS... which makes a good deal of sense. That being the case, you need something that you can shoot well and penetrates. I'd think anything in the right bullet and .357 Mag or better, you should have the penetration.

mcseal2

WKR
I pack either my S&W 386 XL Hunter in 357 with 180gr HSM hardcast loads or one of my 10mm's. I have a Glock 20 that doesn't like hardcast (yet hopefully, it's at the gunsmith's) and a Sig 1911 10mm that shoots everything fine. In the 10mm I'd pack hardcast if I could and Federal 180gr bonded JSP or Underwood Extreme Penetrator if it didn't feed those well.

To me the 10mm and 357 are pretty equal in performance, it's more about what platform you shoot better and what features you want.

My 386 S&W is a scandium gun that's lighter than the others loaded by quite a bit. The 10mm's have a rail I can put a light on at camp or carry with a light if I feel it necessary. In black bear country I don't think I'd pack the 4oz of the light most times though.

The owner of Buffalo Bore has an article about this on his site. He considers anything 9mm or bigger with the right bullets ok for black bear defense.

If I'm packing a rifle anyway I don't worry about a handgun in black bear country. Chances of an issue are low enough I don't want the weight. If I tag out and am helping my buddy, or on scouting trips I take one.

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
I pack a 44 mag and run the 305 gr from Buffalo Bore. I shot an elk with these bullets last year and the performance and penetration was outstanding. 2 shots broadside @ 56 yards passed through both shoulders and the final shot @ 85 yards was a hard quarter away the bullet entered behind the ribs and I recovered it under the hide of the off side shoulder.

Mt Al

WKR
So let me ask all you guys this, is anyone with an auto concerned about it jamming? I know some guys only take a revolver to the mountains because it will not jam on you.

Not concerned at all. If you practice with the load you're planning to carry and the gun doesn't jam, or only does once every 1000 rounds, we're so far deep into statistics/things that are so unlikely to happen that the issue is mental or emotional at that point - not "what's the right gun". Not that other's haven't or that mine wont sometime, but mine has never jammed.

I use a Glock20, I used to use a Ruger 41mag. No comparison on which pistol is cooler, funner, more awesomer: Ruger! However, for bears and peace of mind there's also no comparison: Glock20. I have 15 rounds and will most likely be freaking out. i don't have ice in my veins, am not all calm and cool with the time to draw an ivory bead right into the perfect vital shot on a charging grizzly and keep the bead aligned while I'm pulling the trigger like all y'all. I'll probably be filling my drawers while shooting, and will be glad to have all that ammo to run through during the event.

I have my daughters shoot my Glock20 all the time and tell them to shoot through the whole magazine, fast without trying to line up the sights forever on the first shot, at a stump, log, etc.. It's amazing how many rounds hit the right spot. I've tried the same with my Ruger, not even close in terms of energy on target over time - all of which matters in this very very rare case.

I also overthink things, like we're all doing with guns in grizz country. Something with reasonable power that's ready at hand that's relatively "pistol' accurate will cover 99% of all situations.

JohnnyB

WKR
In strictly black bear country I carry a Glock 19 9mm, but it’s not really for the bears. When I go to Montana I carry my Glock 20 in 10mm.

I take the 10mm in Ca sometimes too, but I am usually already carrying the G19 and I’ll leave it on.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
10mm w/220g hardcast.
Or
44 mag w/300g hardcast

No free lunch, where one falls short, the other exceeds.

jhm2023

WKR
Black bears aren't all that difficult to kill. Unlike a grizz which you have to kill and then also convince it that you killed it, a black bear can be dissuaded by a fair amount of pain. 9mm will do the job but I'd feel better with a 10mm, 45 super or 460 Rowland. Semi auto pistols are my preference for a lot of reasons but mostly fast follow up shots, high round count and night sights for low light shooting of dark brown/black critters. It should be noted that mammal tissue is very elastic and will only give temporary cavitation with any impact velocity below 2,220 FPS. I don't know of a pistol that shoots over that so "stopping power" isn't really a thing in handguns unless you get a CNS hit. You really only need something that is capable of penetrating deep enough to get to the vitals and track straight when busting through bone. In other words a properly constructed bullet. Since you cannot achieve permanent cavitation with a pistol you are reliant on things being damaged/destroyed by actually being touched by the bullet or fragments of bone and bullet. This is why hollow points/expanding bullets are used for self defense. So a 45 will do more than say a 9mm (.451" vs. .355"). Now that I've rambled too much, my vote goes to a semi auto pistol in 10mm, 45 super or 460 Rowland. If you want the best(IMO) bullets for bear defense, which I would think so since they can potentially save your life. I would pick Lehigh extreme penetrator , CEB handgun solid or Corbon FPPN. Hard cast flat nose or Speer flat point TMJ will work as well. It should go without saying that you should be proficient with your chosen pistol and it should be reliable.

Jakeemt

FNG
Are any of you guys back pack hunters? If so how do you deal with the weight of some of these rigs?

I carry a .500 S&W because I’m always in brown bear country, and although it’s big and heavy, I’ve seen it work, and it works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Are any of you guys back pack hunters? If so how do you deal with the weight of some of these rigs?

I run a kydex holster on my right hip belt of my SG.

Some run stand alone chest rigs- seems like most magnum revolver fellas run these. Or the Razco which is chest mounted to your bino harness. Some use drop leg holsters on their upper thigh. Personally don’t know any backpacker that does that, but I don’t doubt they do.

elkduds

WKR
Taurus 617 titanium. 7 shots, 2.5 in. barrel, Only 25 oz loaded, about half of a G20. I bought it to carry more than to shoot. It is a handful w heavy 357 loads, I practice w 38 special to stay competent, and to limit shooting erosion on the titanium. It is easy to carry, and I much prefer the medium size frame to a J frame-size snubby. Always goes bang x7.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider

The peace of mind is usually worth the weight. I don't carry any extra mags or loose ammo.

Bit of a tangent here, but IMO a self-defense pistol or bear spray needs to be on your chest. I carry in a Razco holster attached under my bino harness. It can get kind bulky for sure, but luckily I have compact binos that I can put into a small harness. I can't imagine running Maven B2s (or the new Razor Ultras) with a sidearm under. Hip holsters don't work cause you've got your pack, pack holster doesn't work cause a lot of guys drop their packs often.

dla

WKR
S&W M329pd - 31oz loaded. And no, revolvers are not more reliable than autos - but autos don't chamber anything in the league of the 44mag in a 31oz package (G20 is 39oz loaded).