Side by side

Well I think I finally am going to bite the bullet and get a side by side. My wife and I are expecting our first this fall and I have a tag where getting my truck into some places is impossible. I am looking at a duel purpose model that can take my wife, baby and dog out for rides and is comfortable but also isn’t a tank to hunt in. I know i read a few threads on here about the Honda pioneer 500, Polaris ranger but I just want to get some more opinions. There are a couple roads that it would be a lot faster to take the side by side into the end of the road than my truck. I don’t plan to hunt out of the side by side except for antelope. My family has a couple Polaris and a Honda fourtrax that just keeps going. Also, I can’t go over $10k whether used or new. Thanks for all the help/experiences

Just my .02 cents, but have you ever considered a jeep? I am way more comfortable in my jeep than I ever have been in a side x side.. and I can drive it home, or tow it home.I like the idea of a side x side,and would be more inclined to consider one if it weren't for the cost. I'm not trying to talk you out of the side by side, I think they have their place too, just trying to offer another option.

PAtwell

FNG
I purchased a Polaris General for a dual purpose vehicle. I can use it to work and hunt with or it can be used to just go ride and have fun with.

I purchased a Polaris General for a dual purpose vehicle. I can use it to work and hunt with or it can be used to just go ride and have fun with.
I really like the looks of the General. That thing looks sweet.

I have a Polaris Ranger 800. It is a very capable vehicle. Great suspension for a very smooth ride. Sits 3 across the front (well tight for adults, but comfy with a child). Biggest downside to the Polaris is the 4 wheel drive system, at least on my model, not sure if it has changed. Mine is a 2012. The 4 wheel system is not a true lock it in and all 4 wheels are driving. In 4 wheel, the front wheels do not engage until the rear wheels slip, much like AWD in a car. This works ok most of the time, but on really slippery surfaces (snow over ice, slick clay mud the back end will slide to the side under power before the front engages. My solution is to chain up, then it is a tank. I would much prefer an actual locking 4wd system.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I have ridden in or driven most of the side by sides out there. With a new baby, they are not much fun, this coming from personal experience haha. But it is definitely do-able. Though my vote would go towards a nice clean Suzuki Samurai with A/C. Waaaaay more comfortable for the kid and wife, and very capable to go just about anywhere.

I have ridden in or driven most of the side by sides out there. With a new baby, they are not much fun, this coming from personal experience haha. But it is definitely do-able. Though my vote would go towards a nice clean Suzuki Samurai with A/C. Waaaaay more comfortable for the kid and wife, and very capable to go just about anywhere.

Heck yeah, Samurai or Geo trackers are nice

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Just my .02 cents, but have you ever considered a jeep? I am way more comfortable in my jeep than I ever have been in a side x side.. and I can drive it home, or tow it home.I like the idea of a side x side,and would be more inclined to consider one if it weren't for the cost. I'm not trying to talk you out of the side by side, I think they have their place too, just trying to offer another option.

Haha I have. We used to have one but getting an elk into it is a pain. I would probably end up pulling a little trailer or something plus the cost of insurance, taxes and plates it puts it a little out of my price range. It’s a great idea but just from a cost standpoint it doesn’t work. If I can stay under $10k I would be happy. But I am still just shopping and debating. The area i am going this year has way too much sand to get my 2500 in on. Should be no problem for a side by side but the heavy truck just sinks in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
WyoBowhunter21

Sort of the same as the Jeep. I am guessing if I ask my wife for that and we have to plate it, she will tell me just drive the truck. It’s been a long discussion of whether or not to get a side by side. Thanks thought! Great idea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a guy in eastern MN that all he does is fix up used samurai's and trackers for this very purpose. apparently there is a following off offroaders that he sells too.
I've been seeing a lot of guys here in AZ with them. Lots of popularity, cause they fit in a toy hauler.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
I own an arctic cat. It’s been a great machine no troubles but my next one will probably be a Honda pioneer. Family outgrew the 2 seater and am planning on upgrading to a 4. If ride is what you care about Polaris is probably your best option but mechanically I believe it’s tough to beat Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ewahunter

FNG
I picked up a used yamaha rhino a few years ago for cheap and its been a great machine, use it for hunting , trail riding , and plowing snow . its only a 2 seater but there is aftermarket roll cages and kits to put seats in the bed making it a 4 seater.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used Ranger last year and so far I don’t have any regrets. It came with a snow plow which will be handy. I hauled out a quartered bull last year up and down some pretty steep grades without any issues. I also use it to plant food plots here at home. My kids like driving it, so I guess you could say it has multiple uses. My only complaint is the drive belt makes me a little nervous, if it decides to fail when I’m in a remote place. It’ll probably be after dark while it’s snowing.

ODB

WKR
Sorry, got nothin for ya...I saw side by side and I thought shotguns and rifles..carry on...

davsco

WKR
i'm interested as well. i have a quad but the wife and dog are accompanying me out to colo for first rifle elk. a sxs would let us all get a little closer to the action. thinking two rows of seats (2nd row for the dog) and a bed in the back (for gear etc). specific suggestions welcomed as well.

I also say Polaris General, we love ours! Plenty of interior room and mixes utility and sport extremely well. The bed size is also large. I would recommend a 4 seater so you have plenty of room for your family and some gear. I’m just not sure if a general4 will fit within your budget. Here is a pic of mine from a few weeks ago. The enclosure with a heater is amazing and keeps you warm in the coldest of conditions
a117a61eb40782e471e7d7c5c9831c15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Pioneer is a good machine but has no room for gear with the back seats up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk