Show your Tikka ten round groups

I've been down the full custom rifle path for the last 8 or so rifles. After reading the Tikka threads on this forum, decided to try one out. Purchased a new T3X lite in 6.5 cm, installed a arca/pic rail, 20 moa base, trigger spring, vertical grip, dremeled out the stock to free float it, and threw on the fixed 4x leupold I had collecting dust.

I exclusively shoot suppressed (I'm a bitch and do not like the blast) in all my rifles but before I invested any more money in this thing for threading, I wanted to see how it would shoot.
tikka 1.jpg

Took it to the range today, got it halfassed zeroed with 7 rounds, then proceeded with the first 10-round group with factory hornardy 140 eldm. Mirage was pretty bad as I was not taking breaks between shots.

tikka 2.jpg

The next 10 round group was with 140 eldms, 39.5 H4350, and 3x alpha brass that was 6 creed, but I ran it through the mandrel to 6.5. Mirage was pretty awful on this group too, as there was only a 5 minute break between the 2-10 shot groups.
tikka 3.jpg

I'm impressed to say the least. Spent a hell of a lot more money on full customs that are lucky to shoot this good. There's a 95% chance I will be unloading all my custom actions and barrels in the upcoming months and buying a tikka in 223 and 300wm.

This Tikka will be going to Kampfield to get chopped down to 18" so it can wear a can, and it will also be getting a credo 2.5-15.

I've officially drank the Rokslide/Tikka koolaid, and theres no turning back.

Jimbee

WKR
Tikka/SWFA groups. Painless load development.

Top. 6cm, Preferred prefit, Stocky's 655rds, 115dtuac 3-9SWFA. never cleaned.15rd group. YHM R8 supressor

Middle. 223 superlite 18", 1854rds, 6xSWFA, 77tmk never cleaned. 15rd group. JK Armament supressor 20230914_143813.jpg20230914_143818.jpg20230914_143823.jpg

Bottom. 6.5cm 17", 270rds, Stocky's, 6xSWFA, 130tmk.
Never cleaned. 10rd group TB9" supressor

Shraggs

WKR
So these days I’m cheap! That no see em with 5 targets must have 100 rounds in it, each for something different. Ultimately I’ll just use paper plate and red stickers when they’re gone.

So under that 10 round group is another sticker, I shot 4 rounds to do final sight in after spending some time getting the new scope on paper then close. The bottom is first shot with good press so I can up and right then the next two, came up and back some left and the 4th was centered.

Honestly I really need to shoot like form states a 10 round group first then move turrets and verify as I do end up chasing sometimes. In this case loaded three mags with 10 put new sticker up got prone with backpack and let them go. I’m pleased and there aren’t any flyers in this group!

Something about target and zeroing for me, kinda like golf. I often duff a tee shot but hit well off the fairway.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
200 yard, 10 shot sight in group this morning. Not my best morning of shooting but the tikka will still kill!

These shots are all back to back. Only cooling of the rifle and barrel was reloading the magazine.

Elevation 1,605
Wind from 7 o clock at 2-4 mph
Temp 82 degrees

Tikka 7 SAUM
175 ELDX
20” McGowen Barrel

IMG_4900.jpeg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Remounted my SWFA 3-9 into the Unknown Munitions rings on my Tikka 7 SAUM. Got it sighted in and went back to 200 yards for some field practice.

Shots were from my go to field position for quick target acquisition over caucus and scrub brush. Something basically like this, like I did for one of the cold bore challenge shots. Photo was taken from that thread.
IMG_3187.jpeg

Wind was tricky this morning. Swirling from almost no wind at times up to 8 mph. I tried small wind holds depending on what the wind was doing right as I took each shot.

10 shots were all taken back to back with only rest time being magazine reload. Shots all felt really good but the wind is the wind. It’s still 10 dead animals at 200 yards for sure. Shots were all back to back trying to play the wind with each shot.

IMG_4989.jpeg

Tx_300wsm

Lil-Rokslider
7C19825B-44C6-4A49-B766-139EC6AD3BC8.jpeg

Finally got out to shoot a 10 round group/zero, factory tikka 300wsm, microbastard brake, Nightforce shv 4-14, federal 180gr partitions. We’re measuring groups by mean radius now aren’t we? Even the deers weren’t too concerned about my shooting.

F62D9B68-29CA-4A4E-9DB6-41DD0BAF7A58.jpeg

Dobermann

WKR
View attachment 613146

Finally got out to shoot a 10 round group/zero, factory tikka 300wsm, microbastard brake, Nightforce shv 4-14, federal 180gr partitions. We’re measuring groups by mean radius now aren’t we? Even the deers weren’t too concerned about my shooting.

View attachment 613147
I've got a feeling Form had a post here in the last couple of weeks that spoke about vertical stringing as more common with larger calibers ... just in case that's relevant and worth tracking down.

Tx_300wsm

Lil-Rokslider
I tried finding it but wasn’t able. If I would have stopped at the first three I would definitely be claiming “sub moa all day if I do my part.” When I moved out to 200 there was virtually no vertical dispersion but significant horizontal. It’s possible that was from the wind though as it was pretty variable gusting up to 20, and reading wind is not something I’ve practiced.
I've got a feeling Form had a post here in the last couple of weeks that spoke about vertical stringing as more common with larger calibers ... just in case that's relevant and worth tracking down.

Dobermann

WKR
I tried finding it but wasn’t able. If I would have stopped at the first three I would definitely be claiming “sub moa all day if I do my part.” When I moved out to 200 there was virtually no vertical dispersion but significant horizontal. It’s possible that was from the wind though as it was pretty variable gusting up to 20, and reading wind is not something I’ve practiced.
I had a quick look, but the first three pages of results shows just how much we've been discussing both vertical grips and vertical-split rings lately - for good reason. I did see, however, a couple of posts about mirage inducing vertical spread - could that have been a factor that day?

Tx_300wsm

Lil-Rokslider
I had a quick look, but the first three pages of results shows just how much we've been discussing both vertical grips and vertical-split rings lately - for good reason. I did see, however, a couple of posts about mirage inducing vertical spread - could that have been a factor that day?
No, it’s was cool, overcast with occasional drizzle. I’m trying to make it a point to shoot at lower magnification and shot all this on 4x. Crosshairs covered up that whole diamond shape basically and wonder if I would have been better off increasing magnification. I also wonder if an anti cant would have made a difference at that distance?

Tartan

WKR
Just got my tikka 223 set up and sited in today. Also took my 6cm and put ten more through it for funsies.

My little local range was a disaster. All 20 lanes full. Had a guy next to me in the same table pumping 308 out of a braked ar-10 and constantly shaking the table. Pretty good shooting I’d say considering.

IMG_8466.jpeg

223 but the range finally quieted down. Including the “flyer”
IMG_8467.jpeg

6 creed.
IMG_8468.jpeg

How about a 20 rounder…
Tikka 6.5 cm. 130 TMK’s with varget. About 50 rounds down the tube so far.

7131389e3cbf543826c20dbb4276a02b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few tikka 10 rd groups from today in one pic:

Top left in checkerboard target - 6 creed Norma 107 golden target factory ammo

Mid left in the shoot n see - 6 creed barnes vor-tx 95 LRX factory ammo

Upper right - T3x lite 223 - ADI 55 sbk factory ammo
A36C29A3-9D19-49D9-B8C4-422B9BF57737.jpeg

Vern400

WKR
Is there some math involved around the significance of a 10 shot group? It seems like the burden of sample size keeps growing. Used to be 3, then 5, now 10. I seem to remember some software out there that calculates hit probability and I was wondering if a 10 shot group amounts to some sort of significance level or confidence interval.

Where is the point of diminishing returns in the number of rounds piled into a group?

Is there a linear relationship that can be assigned to group size (MOA) and number of shots in the group? If I shoot a 1/4 MOA 3 shot group, can I extrapolate a 1/2 MOA 5 shot (to a lesser confidence) and a 1 MOA 10 shot (to an even lesser level of confidence)?

These Tikka threads have become quite data driven, which I appreciate, and I want to know if the work has been done to vet our actual experimental design. It seems that the interest is there and guys want to do this right, so let’s do it right. Or at least understand what we’re doing beyond just “the internet wants 10 shot groups now”

Yes there is a statistical method that can calculate the likelihood that a given group size can be achieved with a given rifle. Actually there are a number of methods. Weibull Analysis is one of the most frequently used tools.

I will probably get a lot of heat from other shooters more knowledgeable than me on this topic, and others who think it's all garbage.

Suppose you have three 10 shot groups. They are random. Shot on different days, perhaps at different temperatures, whatever. Just random.

Those three groups would give you an extreme spread. Like 0.95, 1.00, 1.40 would be an extreme spread of 0.45 somewhat centered around a 1.17-in group

So you have a reasonable chance of shooting another 1.17-in group. But it might be bigger, and it might be smaller. It could go either way so you're confidence is 50%.

If you want a 90% chance of shooting a 1.17-in group, you either need to increase the sample size, or decrease the average group size right?

Companies that make a living predicting reliability on tens of thousands or even millions of components, like ball bearings for example... They are generally going to say in. THEIR test lab that the typical Wiebull slope that they use is 3. In my work I liked to use 2.7 because the math is easier to understand.

This analysis would tell you taking a 50% confidence up to a 90% confidence would require loosely speaking twice the precision. That would be based on 30 samples. 3x10 shots. On the other hand, if you had a lot of samples you would have more confidence right? And if your group size has got smaller you'd have more confidence that you could shoot a 1.17-in group.

I can tell you that 90% confidence is pretty darn good. A lot of companies build products with 90 to 95% confidence every day that they'll meet their design life.

So that's kind of the story behind statistical repeatability. I guarantee you that benchrest shooters at least the best ones, keep extensive data on what they're capable of. And they don't get to call flyers either. Every shot counts. Not everybody wants to do that. I don't either.

But if you pull three ten shot groups, and then take the worst one and say you can probably do that again tomorrow, I wouldn't argue with you.
In field conditions and not on a bench I might argue a little.

Your best three shot group ever? You think you're going to go to the range and shoot a 10 shot group that same size? Don't bet me. Because I am highly confident I will take your money.

Kimmo H

FNG
Finally got around to shooting some 10 round groups. I made batches of 10, others with the cases annealed using an induction heater and other 10 without annealing to see if there is any clear improvement in group size by annealing. Turns out for me it is not worth the extra effort.

20231028_164326.jpg

Annealed groups on the top row, not annealed beneath those. Load chosen is my go to Scenar load and the ELD-X load was trying to see if it worked with the same powder load as the Scenars. I used to run the ELD-X 0,5grain hotter, but thought to back down a bit due to plunger marks on the brass and heavy bolt lift. Turns out it no longer shoots worth a damn, so I'll have to work on that at some point.

Scenar load was steady and group size measured was ~18.5mm in the annealed cases, and ~13mm in the non annealed for 10 shots each. Measured center to center, shot at 100m
Groups were shot without cooling in between, with a fan next to me to clear the heat off the suppressor. No wind, -4c temperature.

20231028_164307.jpg

T3X Veil action
Lothar Walther LW50 barrel blank, chambered to 6,5 Creedmoor and threaded for suppressor by myself, ~19" in length
KRG Bravo stock with some extra goodies on.
Element Optics Theos 6-36x56 scope
Ase Utra Radien suppressor
Atlas bipods