Should I get a archery coach

1 year in to archery , get a coach and lessons or teach your self?

• Get 1 lesson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

stan_wa

WKR
Hello, about 1 year of archery experience here. I have herd some people talking how great a archery coach should be, but between the bow, bow press, arrows and all the equipment i bought to build and tune em I'm not overly looking forward to spending more money on the hobby. So in your experience is a coach worth while and necessary? I have a interest to be the best i can be and extend my distance to the furthest range i can ethically get good shots. But I also hate spending money haha.
If self teaching is good what's your favorite resource? I have enjoyed the Nock on You tube.

Thanks for the feedback!

DanimalW

WKR
is there someone near you that gives lessons? Hell, I’d take one if I knew of a place. It’s kind of like a golf swing. Sometimes you can’t see what you’re doing wrong but it’s really easy for someone watching to see it. You could probably learn a lot from other people joining an indoor league in the winter too.

dtrkyman

WKR
Never a bad idea, unless of course you get a bad coach!

Very possible to short cut some issues you don't eve know you had.

When I managed a shop I had countless customers that always said I have been doing it that way for years, well you been doing it wrong...lol

Of course this is coming from a coach so I am biased!

If you do not get a coach I would highly recommend videoing your self shooting, get a full head to toe viewfrom all 4 sides, you can see a lot and reference Dudley's videos after.

WKR
Only you know how your current archery skills compare to your goals, but I think just about anyone with one year of experience will benefit from some lessons. If you get some lessons early on, it could save you from falling into some bad habits.

Regardless of how good you get at archery though, stalking is hunting and it's fun to get close. I'm channeling the spirit of my great grandfather for my response to your poll.

Your best money would be on a good coach. The lessons are fairly priced but what you get is better than anything else you bought. Again, that if you get a good coach. The 3 to 5 lessons would be a great start.

Marble

WKR
Get involved in every 3D shoot you can. Some are better than others, but they out you in positions similar to hunting. If you want it, you can add pressure for the competitive portion and have something to compare yourself to. Without the 3d comps, my practice would be fairly boring. Sometimes, there are guys you will meet that will help you along if asked, and you get to know them well enough.

School of nock, you tube. Some guys don't like Dudley and I understand why. But he's a pretty dang good teacher and provides a great foundation of the basics and beyond.

Also, I like to listen to some shot IQ stuff. It does help keep me in a great mind set.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

BWSmith

FNG
I've been shooting trad bows over 50 years. Still VERY active shooting 3D....yadayada.

When phone cameras grew into video capabilities we started doing short vids of each other on 3D shots. We weren't so concerned with the straight up,simple ABC shots.... it was all the fun,over in the bushes,tough shots(form wise) that we learned from.

Just sayin,if what you're "doing" is producing decent results,videos may not help much. Oh,you might pick up a cpl small breakdowns..... IMO the real beauty of video is if you're struggling with an issue.

In our case,3D shooting from out of position amongst other "no-no's".... we were either never getting to a solid anchor, and/or creeping just before the shot. And the videos made it embarrassingly clear,haha.

Another notion,tangent to the OP (formal coaching) is being lucky to find a cpl shooters in "about" your same level of game. Keeping it all fun,trying to beat your buds,has to rank up there for not only motivation but also having them keep an eye out for little things like creep or ?

Good luck with your shooting.

Flash

FNG
I would spend the money. Unfortunately good coaches are difficult to find in a lot of areas.

What level of coach would you look at getting?

sacklunch

WKR
Compound? Do it yourself, find some good online content, it's not rocket science.

Recurve? Find a coach, 100%.

*zap*

WKR
A coach who is a good coach is an asset in any endeavor and can trim years off of 'correct' progression. Some uncoached people never get things 'correct'.