Shotgun / Rifle Suggestions (Whitetail Hunting)

OP
I
So if I were interested in a legal rifle for Illinois hunting, what would be some of the best options for that?

wesfromky

WKR
I would buy something with a detachable mag like Ruger American ranch in .350 - I have one and it shoots great. Then just buy a spare mag and modifiy it so that it cannot accept any rounds. Then,with that inserted, you just load singles without worrying about dropping one out through the bottom. But, you also have the ability to use regular mags at the range or in other states. Get a cartage band for the stock.

If you want to keep it super simple, there are single shot CVAs out there in a number of calibers. I had one in .44 that was OK, but not all that accurate. Plenty good enough to kill a deer at 75 though.

Tod osier

WKR
So if I were interested in a legal rifle for Illinois hunting, what would be some of the best options for that?

That is where I'd go were I you! I spent a lot of years in a shotgun only area and just about any legal rifle option will be better as far as accuracy (shotguns are plenty accurate, don't get me wrong) and recoil.

Not up on the IL regs, so I'm not going to suggest one other than to say that is a better option. If you are new to shotgun/rifle hunting, pick one of the more mild recoiling rounds that are available.

OP
I
New question!!

Let’s say I was interested in the rifle below..

Is there a way to modify this to be a single shot? In other words, is there any way a rifle like this can be modified so it Is legal to use in Illinois next year?

OP
I
I am not sure .308 meets the requirements, so you should double check that. Anything with a detachable mag can be made into a single shot by just leaving the mag at home. Or, you can mod the mag so it will not hold any rounds.

Regs:

Yeah whoops, I definitely messed up there.

Between trying to learn about these rifles in general and remember the regulations, I find myself a bit overwhelmed at times!

wesfromky

WKR

Tod osier

WKR
Yeah whoops, I definitely messed up there.

Between trying to learn about these rifles in general and remember the regulations, I find myself a bit overwhelmed at times!
I got intrigued, there are a bunch of options so that I wouldn't even consider a shotgun. The 350 legend is designed for what you are after, but there are plenty other options. I bought my son a .44 mag in a break open to satisfy the straight wall cartridge requirements back before the 350 legend existed. I don't have much experience with it, only shot one deer and it did fine.

rootacres

WKR
For what it's worth. . . All my whitetail gun hunting has been done in the lower half of MI. We have similar rules and regs to what IL is bringing in. While they are not the same they have some similarities. With that said, I would take a serious look at the 450 bushmaster. It recoils similar to a 20 ga, ballistically superior to a 12 ga in many ways (not that any of them have good ballistics), and the optimal barrel length is 16". Makes for a compact lightweight package in leu of carrying a heavier slug gun.

Our entire hunting camp had switched to the 450 with the exception of one guy. He still has a Savage 220. It's a great shotgun, he just wants to shoot something with it before moving onto the 450.

KenLee

WKR
For what it's worth. . . All my whitetail gun hunting has been done in the lower half of MI. We have similar rules and regs to what IL is bringing in. While they are not the same they have some similarities. With that said, I would take a serious look at the 450 bushmaster. It recoils similar to a 20 ga, ballistically superior to a 12 ga in many ways (not that any of them have good ballistics), and the optimal barrel length is 16". Makes for a compact lightweight package in leu of carrying a heavier slug gun.

Our entire hunting camp had switched to the 450 with the exception of one guy. He still has a Savage 220. It's a great shotgun, he just wants to shoot something with it before moving onto the 450.
Agreed. I like my 45-70 a little better than my Ruger 450 Bushmaster, but my 45-70 Marlin gbl is currently selling for $1200 and you can't remove the magazine.

OP
I
I have one of these, and they are solid for when straight wall is required. You can leave the mag at home, or buy a spare to mode it - they are standard ar mags, so should be pretty easy to get.

I noticed this one was actually available in a place close to me, and it caught my attention.

Any thoughts on weapon like this?

It seems to have good reviews based on what I can find, while also a little cheaper than the Rugers like you posted.

Ur correct I didn't know about the single shot rule. I would pick up a ruger American ranch in 450. They used to be a cheap gun and everyone I've been around chambered in 450 is a shooter! I bought one about 5 years ago and haven't looked twice at my slug gun since....admittedly I've only shot 1 buck with it not much of a gun hunter

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
I noticed this one was actually available in a place close to me, and it caught my attention.

It seems to have good reviews based on what I can find, while also a little cheaper than the Rugers like you posted.

I own one in .44 mag. That is a heavy gun (not that it really matters for stand hunting), they are supposed to be generally accurate, ours is accurate and it has an excellent trigger.

Look into recoil of the 450 bushmaster, I don't know anything about it, but I do know that the 350 legend is supposed to be pretty mild on the shoulder. As a new shooter, recoil is not your friend. The greatest benefit of going away from slug guns is to get something that is easy to shoot with light recoil. Flatter shooting is also nice, but for a lot of deer hunting it is a non issue and non of these cartridges is exactly flat shooting.

OP
I
I own one in .44 mag. That is a heavy gun (not that it really matters for stand hunting), they are supposed to be generally accurate, ours is accurate and it has an excellent trigger.

Look into recoil of the 450 bushmaster, I don't know anything about it, but I do know that the 350 legend is supposed to be pretty mild on the shoulder. As a new shooter, recoil is not your friend. The greatest benefit of going away from slug guns is to get something that is easy to shoot with light recoil. Flatter shooting is also nice, but for a lot of deer hunting it is a non issue and non of these cartridges is exactly flat shooting.

Okay, there is actually a very reasonably priced CVA Scout .44 mag in a local gun shop, and I was a bit curious about that as well. Because I don’t know if you can beat $300 for a quality rifle right now..

Tod osier

WKR
Okay, there is actually a very reasonably priced CVA Scout .44 mag in a local gun shop, and I was a bit curious about that as well. Because I don’t know if you can beat $300 for a quality rifle right now..

You will be more limited as for range with the 44 than the 350 or 450. I bought it especially because my son was smaller at the time and there weren't the options there are now. They are supposed to be plenty good out to 125-150 with the right bullets. I will tell you that it is really fun to shoot. I'll be hunting with it in a couple weeks in Michigan.

wesfromky

WKR

I had one in .44 - it was OK, but not nearly as accurate as my 350. But, plenty good enough to kill a deer inside of 100 yards.

OP
I
I had one in .44 - it was OK, but not nearly as accurate as my 350. But, plenty good enough to kill a deer inside of 100 yards.

Okay, yeah I’m mostly looking for shots within 100. Maybe 150 if I ever get comfortable enough with my shot. But where I hunt, there usually isn’t a ton more range needed than that anyway.

OP
I
You will be more limited as for range with the 44 than the 350 or 450. I bought it especially because my son was smaller at the time and there weren't the options there are now. They are supposed to be plenty good out to 125-150 with the right bullets. I will tell you that it is really fun to shoot. I'll be hunting with it in a couple weeks in Michigan.

Okay good to know.

Do you have a scope on that one?

Tod osier

WKR
Okay, yeah I’m mostly looking for shots within 100. Maybe 150 if I ever get comfortable enough with my shot. But where I hunt, there usually isn’t a ton more range needed than that anyway.

hornady leverevolutoin shoots well in mine.

The last leupold I own is on it, so I wouldn't go that route again. To buy today I'd put a SWFA ultralight 2.5-10, but they are out of stock right now.